What's new

Saudi Arabia sentences Shia Cleric to Death

Mercenary

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia is a very dangerous country for non-sunni Muslims

Saudi Arabia sentences outspoken Shi'ite cleric to death: brother - Yahoo News Canada

Saudi Arabia sentences outspoken Shi'ite cleric to death: brother
86d56805d598db2a9704118f31d3aa32.jpegBy By Angus McDowall | Reuters – 9 hours ago
By Angus McDowall

RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi judge sentenced to death a prominent cleric on Wednesday who has called for greater rights for the kingdom's Shi'ites, the cleric's brother said, two years after his arrest prompted deadly protests in the oil-producing east of the country.

Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr was detained in July 2012 following demonstrations that erupted in February 2011 in Qatif district, home to many of the Sunni-ruled country's Shi'ite minority.

His brother, Mohammed al-Nimr, reported Wednesday's sentencing on his Twitter account.

The sentence could raise tensions in Qatif, which has historically been the focal point of anti-government demonstrations demanding an end to discrimination, but where the frequency of protests has died down over the past year.

Last year a prosecutor said he was seeking to convict Nimr for "aiding terrorists". Former interior minister Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz previously accused Nimr of being "mentally unbalanced".

His capture, during which he was shot and wounded by police, prompted several days of protests in which three people were killed. Protests continued sporadically in Qatif, where more than 20 people have died in violence, until 2013.

Nimr has become the most prominent cleric calling for more rights for the Shi'ite minority and is accused by the government of helping to instigate the unrest which broke out in Qatif during the Arab uprisings in 2011.

However, he has not called for violence against the government or Sunnis, say Shi'ites in the Eastern Province. They say he is portrayed as an extremist because he does not accept that conditions for Shi'ites will be improved by negotiations with authorities.

"(The death sentence) will shock everyone here and it will reduce very much the credibility of the state among Shi'ites. I think the government is giving a show of strength against anyone who thinks of opposition," said Tawfiq al-Seif, a community leader in Qatif.

Earlier this year two other Shi'ite men involved in the protests were sentenced to death, including Ali al-Nimr, the son of Mohammed al-Nimr, who was a minor at the time of the demonstrations.

The sentences have yet to be carried out.

DEATH PENALTY

Mohammed al-Nimr did not give details of the sentence against Sheikh Nimr in his Tweet, but said that the judge had rejected a verdict of hadd al-haraba, or rebellion, which carries the additional penalty of publicly displaying the body.

People in Qatif remain hopeful that the death sentences passed against Nimr and the other men will not be carried out, Seif said. "Probably they want to show people the sword but not actually use it," he said.

Saudi courts have also sentenced more than a dozen Sunni militants to death this year for their part in attacks on foreigners and officials that killed hundreds during an al Qaeda campaign between 2003 and 2006.

Last year the conservative Islamic kingdom executed more people than any other country except China and Iran, most of them by public beheading.

Shi'ites say they face discrimination in seeking education or government employment and that they are spoken of disparagingly in text books and by some Sunni officials and state-funded clerics.

They also complain of restrictions on setting up places of worship and marking Shi'ite holidays, and say that Qatif and al-Ahsa, another region with a large Shi'ite population, receive less state funding than Sunni communities of equivalent size.

The Saudi government denies charges of discrimination.

King Abdullah has appointed three Shi'ites to the 150-strong advisory Shura council and included Shi'ite leaders in "national dialogue" meetings where officials hear from representatives of different groups in society.

(Reporting by Angus McDowall; Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Dominic Evans)

@Mercenary

For someone saying that he has lived 12 years in KSA, praised KSA for its beauty, people and claimed to have enjoyed his time then your initial claim is rather silly if not outright moronic.

Let's see. KSA is home to the largest Hindu community outside of India. I don't see them getting killed. Likewise there are 2-3 million indigenous Shia Saudi Arabians mainly in Eastern Arabia and the Southern Provinces. Likewise there are several hundred thousand Christians.

Most importantly then this "Sheik" Nimr al-Nimr is a well-known terrorist whose gang was behind the killings of civilian SHIAS and police officers in the city of Al-Awamiyah which is notorious for its crime rates in KSA.

It is very good news that this terrorist will be deal with.

70e0c1ee2b90cdf6081445cc2e3c9442.jpg

3e51ec152e139d3605676f5816b1e4e8.jpg

Saudi Arabian democracy in action.

:rofl:

Iran Human Rights Documentation Center - New Reports of Difficult Conditions for Sunni Prisoners in Rajaee Shahr Prison

Iran and state-sponsored terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Tatchell: Iran's war on Sunni Muslims | Comment is free | theguardian.com

1988 executions of Iranian political prisoners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IRAN: Opposition leaders slam 'rubber-stamp' death sentences | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times

Coming from a Farsi living in a sanctioned, poor and isolated country that is infamous for its laws and discrimination against not only Sunni Muslims but the minorities that form close to 50% of Iran's population.

For stoning underage girls until recently too. Hanging gays etc. etc.

For inventing cutting hand machines etc.

Unlike in Iran KSA does not execute random clerics like Iran does with the Sunni clerics.

But yeah, KSA does not claim to be a democracy. So no KSA is not a democracy but Iran is for sure neither.

Last edited:
@Mercenary

For someone saying that he has lived 12 years in KSA, praised KSA for its beauty, people and claimed to have enjoyed his time then your initial claim is rather silly if not outright moronic.

Let's see. KSA is home to the largest Hindu community outside of India. I don't see them getting killed. Likewise there are 2-3 million indigenous Shia Saudi Arabians mainly in Eastern Arabia and the Southern Provinces. Likewise there are several hundred thousand Christians.

Most importantly then this "Sheik" Nimr al-Nimr is a well-known terrorist whose gang was behind the killings of civilian SHIAS and police officers in the city of Al-Awamiyah which is notorious for its crime rates in KSA.

It is very good news that this terrorist will be deal with.

I enjoyed living in Saudi Arabia. But I am also going to criticize it as when I feel it really mis-treats non-sunni populations in its country.

I enjoyed living in Saudi Arabia. But I am also going to criticize it as when I feel it really mis-treats non-sunni populations in its country.

What? So sentencing a terrorist who has killed policemen and civilians (Shias) to death is now unfair? Did you see KSA carpet bombing Al-Awamiyah? Or random killings of Shia? Never. Shias are even part of the Shura Council. Shias in Al-Awamiyah have their own religious rules (YES), mosques, clerics etc.

I agree that more could be and SHOULD be done but Shias in KSA live better than in many other countries. They live in a secure, prosperous, rich and stable country and they have the same opportunities.

Shias can also be part of the Shura Council.

Anyway Shia or whatever they are citizens. I don't care about sect but you crying about this criminal getting a death sentence is pathetic. There are other areas where you could criticize KSA.

Attachments

• 0ef58b95ce482b43f6b6c8ceb3849c42.jpg
    0ef58b95ce482b43f6b6c8ceb3849c42.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 44
  • f66b429750360f7d35ebdf544ed55f83.jpg
    f66b429750360f7d35ebdf544ed55f83.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 8f875b6e52f27ba29edb3458c2c5a0af.jpg
    8f875b6e52f27ba29edb3458c2c5a0af.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 5049adb7f1fb6e563259839d340367c0.jpg
    5049adb7f1fb6e563259839d340367c0.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 38
  • cc7c7d051c9be488990eec7094ed461c.jpg
    cc7c7d051c9be488990eec7094ed461c.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 33
  • d9e4ab74adaea962d308f3633de9c851.jpg
    d9e4ab74adaea962d308f3633de9c851.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 78115e6b9f133fda3be9605af8241bbb.jpg
    78115e6b9f133fda3be9605af8241bbb.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 38
  • 6ca394e0fe899498cf1c0e53b407f93a.jpg
    6ca394e0fe899498cf1c0e53b407f93a.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
What? So sentencing a terrorist who has killed policemen and civilians (Shias) to death is now unfair? Did you see KSA carpet bombing Al-Awamiyah? Or random killings of Shia? Never. Shias are even part of the Shura Council. Shias in Al-Awamiyah have their own religious rules (YES), mosques, clerics etc.

I agree that more could be and SHOULD be done but Shias in KSA live better than in many other countries. They live in a secure, prosperous, rich and stable country and they have the same opportunities.

Shias can also be part of the Shura Council.

Anyway Shia or whatever they are citizens. I don't care about sect but you crying about this criminal getting a death sentence is pathetic. There are other areas where you could criticize KSA.

The "oppressed Shias of KSA":

View attachment 135676أبوموسى العصافرة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135677من متنزه جبل كوهسنكي by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135678Ashura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135679Ashura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135680Ashura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr
View attachment 135681Ghadeer by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135682من أرض الدوخلة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

View attachment 135683عروس من أرض الدوخلة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

Notice the Shia religious practices that are done in public. "Lashing yourself during Ashura".

But the murder of civilians is not listed under the things he's found guilty of though is it? Or have I missed something?

But the murder of civilians is not listed under the things he's found guilty of though is it? Or have I missed something?

Did you read the verdict in Arabic or do you know this case or his militant group? I can't post graphic photos here but I can give you some hints.

In other words:

The "oppressed Shias of KSA":

6ca394e0fe899498cf1c0e53b407f93a.jpgأبوموسى العصافرة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

78115e6b9f133fda3be9605af8241bbb.jpgمن متنزه جبل كوهسنكي by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

d9e4ab74adaea962d308f3633de9c851.jpgAshura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

cc7c7d051c9be488990eec7094ed461c.jpgAshura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

5049adb7f1fb6e563259839d340367c0.jpgAshura Al Hussain by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr
8f875b6e52f27ba29edb3458c2c5a0af.jpgGhadeer by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

f66b429750360f7d35ebdf544ed55f83.jpgمن أرض الدوخلة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

0ef58b95ce482b43f6b6c8ceb3849c42.jpgعروس من أرض الدوخلة by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

Notice the Shia religious practices that are done in public. "Lashing yourself during Ashura".

Some of the richest businessmen in KSA are Shias too. Shias are part of the Shura Council.

What about Sunni Muslims of Iran? Is there any high ranking Sunni in Iran? Despite there being more Sunnis in Iran than Shias in KSA?

this guy is a terrorist and anyone who feels sorry for him is a terrorist too... and just to be clear, cuz i know there are lots of fools out there, this has nothing to do with him being shia. shia have been treated very well by the ppl and government. but they got their own agenda.

May I please ask how many churches are there in Saudi Arabia, and whether they can ring their traditional bells on Sundays?

No, they are not nationals but temporary migrants. They have their churches in their compounds. KSA is equal to the Vatican. They don't have any mosques either. If they want to attend churches they can visit all other countries on the Arabian Peninsula.

There is actually a church in KSA. One of the oldest in the world. 1700 years old:lol:

Christianity in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jubail Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of our ancestors were Christians once and Jewish too. But all are Semitic religions too. We are Muslims and will remain as such. We are not Christians, Jews or believing in ancient Semitic religions (Pagans) or monotheistic Hanifs anymore. Thank God.

If somebody wants to attend a church KSA is not the place. Neither a Hindu temple. KSA is the land of Islam.

No, they are not nationals but temporary migrants. They have their churches in their compounds. KSA is equal to the Vatican. They don't have any mosques either. If they want to attend churches they can visit all other countries on the Arabian Peninsula.

There is actually a church in KSA. One of the oldest. 1700 years old:lol:

Christianity in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jubail Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of our ancestors were Christian ones and Jewish too. Both all are Semitic religions too. We are Muslims and will remain as such. We are not Christians, Jews or believing in ancient Semitic religions (Pagans) or monotheistic Hanifs anymore. Thank God.

If somebody wants to attend a church KSA is not the place. Neither a Hindu temple. KSA is the land of Islam.

Thank you for the kind reply.

All of KSA being equal to the Vatican is a novel concept. I would have guessed only Mecca and Medina to be its equals, but all of the Kingdom? Is there more information that I could pursue in this regard?

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind reply.

All of KSA being equal to the Vatican is a novel concept. I would have guessed only Mecca and Medina to be its equals, but all of the Kingdom? Is there more information that I could pursue in this regard?

Well, this is just my opinion. I am not one of those Muslims that demand mosques to be built in Belarus, Portugal, Latvia, Estonia or Iceland. A Muslim can pray anywhere on earth.

KSA is so full of Islamic history and is home to Makkah and Madinah so the rules will always be different. If we started building Hindu temples for Polytheists or Churches there would be Muslims protesting how come they are building such things in the holy land. You can't make all happy.

For me they can make churches in the compounds though or whatever they please.

If we still had indigenous communities of Christians, Jews, Pagans or whatever I would support their right for having their own temples/churches/synagogues.

But building that just for temporary migrants? No, don't think so. They have the GCC and Yemen for that which are nearby and which they can easily travel to if they are not pleased with their compounds. They knew the rules of KSA before coming here.

Well, this is just my opinion. I am not one of those Muslims that demand mosques to be built in Belarus, Portugal, Latvia, Estonia or Iceland. A Muslim can pray anywhere on earth.

KSA is so full of Islamic history and is home to Makkah and Madinah so the rules will always be different. If we started building Hindu temples for Polytheists or Churches there would be Muslim protesting how come they are building such things in the holy land. You can't make all happy.

For me they can make churches in the compounds though or whatever they please.

If we still and indigenous communities of Christians, Jews, Pagans or whatever I would support their right for having their own temples/churches/synagogues.

But building that just for temporary migrants? No, don't think so.

I see, thank you for that explanation. As personal views go, that is perfectly fine.

But of course it does raise grave questions about Saudi Arabia as a State raising the issue of persecution of minorities in other countries, particularly Muslims, when it does not grant similar freedoms to minorities within its own country.

Beheading followed by crucifixion which means that his body and head will be put up for display for a short time and serve as a warning for other terrorists.
Will that be the procedure of execution? Reminds us of the group wandering around in Syria and Iraq. Yes it's IS I'm talking about.
So sentencing a terrorist who has killed policemen and civilians (Shias) to death is now unfair? Did you see KSA carpet bombing Al-Awamiyah?
Can you prove that this guy has killed ANY civilians? What's the proof? Saudi security establishment?

Back
Top Bottom