What's new

Saudi Arabia in Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
9310_638578652843654_149883378_n.jpg

can someone take me to this^^ place please. I'd love to go there.

‫

2799917280062050049dilf.jpg

sv6zqv.jpg

Seriously bro we have a coastline second to none. The sheer length alone. So much potential!

A interesting and probably for all very surprising fact. There are 1150 islands along the Saudi Arabian Red Sea coastline.
"There are plenty of untapped opportunities to promote tourism through the 1,300 islands in the Kingdom's waters. While 1,150 of them are in the Red Sea and 150 in the Arabian Gulf, only 405 have distinct names and been surveyed by the Saudi Geological Society," said a member of the JCCI Tourism Committee Khaled Fahd Al-Harthy.

1,300 Saudi islands look for investorsTravel & Tourism - Zawya

All that food for one person?

World famous Arabian hospitality. You cannot leave an Arabian house without plenty of food being thrown at you, my friend.

very beautiful places.
wow impressive ... it seems time doens't touch/damage it.
lucky guy . i am jealous.

I initially wrote that you could see your ancestors homeland (Hijaz) in this thread since there are many photos from the ancient and beautiful Hijaz region and other parts of Saudi Arabia but then I thought that it might not interest you and deleted it again.

Thank you. Yes, it is old but unfortunately many places are being neglected. Now people all over the world nearly want all those fancy high skyscrapers which I think is a great shame. Yemen is among the last strongholds to resist that and some parts of KSA and probably also parts of Iran, Turkey and the Caucasus in our region. Oman also and some other Arab countries and the good kept architecture and heritage in Europe, parts of Asia and the Americas. Otherwise all countries are building the same styles.

This below will be history I believe. Unfortunately there is little one can do.

saudi-architecture-1.jpg

y6jb.jpg

f6cu.jpg

hi8o.jpg

017349a0.jpg

09.jpg

The ancient and large Mada'in Saleh complex in Northern Hijaz - a World UNESCO Heritage Site today:

Mada'in Saleh /Al-Hijr /Hegra (مدائن صالح) by Basheer Olakara, on Flickr

al-Khuraymat Madain saleh Panorama - Saudi Arabia by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

thank you :)
then we have the same tastes. not only about the pictures you show but as well about your comment about Yemen.
don't worry they will be always people caring about past and protecting the past.

Stable Saudi architecture by Roni McGill, on Flickr

SAUDI-ARCHITECTURE-OLD CITY-JEDDAH by photo.of.jeddah, on Flickr

Old Hejazi architecture - Makkah, Saudi Arabia by hellimli, on Flickr

Often neglected.

Thankfully there are some that are being renovated which is very good.

Old Jeddah Houses renovation , Saudi Arabia by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

Jeddah old ottoman Moucharabiah - Saudi Arabia by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

3784800464_a607e4dd5d_b.jpg

6159699398_4ecca9f622_b.jpg

3356051056_0c5e66120b_b.jpg

8365219260_cab0697607_b.jpg

8386026969_bdf0205feb_b.jpg

In my opinion the neglect is considerable.

For example Yanbu had one of the best kept and oldest city centers in the entire Middle East given its relative small size and now much of it is lost......

People have not learnt to appreciate what has been given to them. From pollution, destructing to neglect.

That is why I hope that Yemen will never catch this disease otherwise all the ancient charm and personality will be replaced by something everyone else has. That would be horrible. At most a controlled mixture I can accept.

Doesn't the Saudi government do anything to restore aging buildings.

By the way are their Sharks in Saudi beaches or can people swim freely?

Doesn't the Saudi government do anything to restore aging buildings.

By the way are their Sharks in Saudi beaches or can people swim freely?

They do but not as much as they SHOULD. Given the wealth at their disposition..... I will not say more than that. But many locals and Middle Eastern people in general or non-Western think that new shiny skyscrapers is the best thing someone ever invented.

This is why I respect and adore the Yemenis so much. Their heritage (visible) is second to none in the region. Virtually every single village whether in the mountains, lowlands, steppes, deserts, hills, next to the oceans have ancient well-kept buildings and the most astonishing thing is that the people in this time and age (year 2013) restore it in the same exact way as thousands of years ago. Knowing very well that there are easier ways to restore it.

This should not sound like I am anti new architecture. That is not the case. Dubai for example is an out of the world city in its very own way due to the amazing new architecture and all the tall skyscrapers but I would not want all the cities to look like that. There should be a healthy mixture. For example I love new projects that combine ancient architecture/traditional architecture with modernity. For example a traditional looking exterior and a complete new interior. Then you have two of the best worlds mixed into one. Anyway enough of the talk. The world changes and so does the views of people and what is "hip" and what is not and you have to accept that. At least one can hope that the future generations will not neglect it all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom