What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

Tan Ruyin 40 Yard Goal :o:
China vs South Africa

@TaiShang @ahojunk @Jlaw @anant_s @Bussard Ramjet @dy1022

"Steel Roses" beat South Africa 2-0 in Olympic women's football tournament

Chinese women's football team defeated South Africa 2-0 on Saturday in their second game at the Rio Olympics.

South Africa almost scored in the first minute, but Jermaine Seoposenwe's shot in the penalty box was denied by Chinese goalkeeper Zhao Lina.

The Africans went close to scoring again as Janine Van Wyk hit the crossbar after a free kick in the 43rd minute.

The "Steel Roses", who returned to the Olympics after an eight-year hiatus, broke the deadlock before halftime when Gu Yasha fired home from close range.

Tan Ruyin sealed the victory for China through a lob shot from 40 meters away in the 87th minute.

Gu is the only one who ever played in the Beijing Olympics on the current Chinese squad.

"I was too young eight years ago, but now as a veteran I hope to bring our team victories again and again," Gu told Xinhua.

"We haven't entered the quarter-final stage yet, so we should take each game as the last game and do our best," she added.

When asked about their final group match against Sweden on August 9, China coach Bruno Bini said: "If I tell you this I will have to tell you our formation. This I cannot tell you. Please give us some time to enjoy this moment tonight."

Bini was very excited about Tan's incredible lob shot.

"If this goal was scored by Lionel Messi it would be played for at least a week all over the world. But if it's a Chinese girl it will only be played in China for a shorter time. This is the difference between men's and women's football," said the 61-year-old Frenchman.

311d69ad4aab458e9ff244698f60ebcd.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Zheng shocks Radwanska

w570285.jpg

China's Zheng Saisai stunned fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska at the Olympics on Saturday, carving out a 6-4, 7-5 win as the Polish star paid a heavy price for a marathon 55-hour trip to reach Rio.

Zheng, the world No 63, made the most of a lacklustre performance from Radwanska who had to cross the Atlantic Ocean twice, racking up 14 000km and only arrving in Brazil on Wednesday night.

Radwanska had been playing at the Montreal WTA tournament last week but was stranded in the Canadian city when her connecting flight to Miami was cancelled due to a mechanical failure.

She flew to New York but was unable to make it to Florida due to adverse weather conditions, so jetted to Lisbon before flying to Rio.

"I spent three days in an airport so that was not the best preparation. I could have used more practice," said former Wimbledon runner-up Radwanska.

"I just didn't have enough time."

Zheng's win was the second top victory of the day for China after national number one Zhang Shuai saved three match points to beat Swiss 12th seed Timea Bacsinszky 6-7 (4/7), 6-4, 7-6 (9/7).

Zhang next faces either Germany's Laura Siegemund or Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova, while compatriot Zheng takes on Russia's Darya Kasatkina.

Zheng, the world No 63, said she realised that Radwanska had been struggling.

"She didn't play her best tennis. I know she arrived late so I am really lucky," said Zheng who had her own dramas in Montreal.

She lost in the first round in Canada and accused the tournament of being "unprofessional" after a blunder with the stringing of her racquets.

"I was really relaxed today with the happiness of playing for my country," Zheng added.

For world No 51 Zhang, 2016 has proved to be an encouraging year on tour.

Her run to the Australian Open quarterfinals ended a depressing run of 14 first round exits at the Grand Slams, a record stretching back to the 2008 US Open.

"It was a tough match. She had three match points, it's a big win," said Zhang.

"Point by point is just 20 seconds so I didn't try to think too much but I just thought I don't want to go home so early. I like Rio, I want to stay here."

Veteran Peng Shuai was unable to make it three wins for China when she lost a 6-4, 6-7 (5/7), 6-3 to Britain's Heather Watson.

The British player tackles Ukrainian 15th seed Elina Svitolina for a place in the third round.

China gets one silver, three bronze medals on day 1

The first medal events have taken place on the first day of the Rio Olympics. And China has already bagged four medals so far - silver and bronze in the women's 10-meter air rifle, bronze in the men's 10-meter air pistol, and bronze in the women's individual epee.

In day one of the sports here in Rio, 12 gold medals on offer in total. The very first went to Virginia Thrasher of the United States, a real surprise. Elsewhere we have the first world record also broken. Great Britain's Adam Peaty won that record in the 100 metres breaststroke. Elsewhere there have been problems with organisation and security lots more to come.

33e051ce2c2d404da6535cf4cbe8182c.jpg
d17e44852b2443268d3bd744ae6a7a12.jpg

Medal Tally after Day 1

屏幕快照 2016-08-07 22.37.58.png

屏幕快照 2016-08-07 22.38.09.png

China gets one silver, three bronze medals on day 1

The first medal events have taken place on the first day of the Rio Olympics. And China has already bagged four medals so far - silver and bronze in the women's 10-meter air rifle, bronze in the men's 10-meter air pistol, and bronze in the women's individual epee.

In day one of the sports here in Rio, 12 gold medals on offer in total. The very first went to Virginia Thrasher of the United States, a real surprise. Elsewhere we have the first world record also broken. Great Britain's Adam Peaty won that record in the 100 metres breaststroke. Elsewhere there have been problems with organisation and security lots more to come.

View attachment 323985 View attachment 323984

Medal Tally after Day 1

View attachment 323983

View attachment 323986

I have never understood why Lei Sheng was made the flag bearer. He has only won one Olympic Gold, and he is losing right now in the round of 32.

China is indeed having a tough outing till now. 10 m women's air rifle, and 400m Swimming should have gone to China.

I have never understood why Lei Sheng was made the flag bearer. He has only won one Olympic Gold, and he is losing right now in the round of 32.

China is indeed having a tough outing till now. 10 m women's air rifle, and 400m Swimming should have gone to China.
There is no such thing as should...
It's sport, everything happens.
Enjoy it, no need to cry about it.

What do you mean he only won one? :o:

There is no such thing as should...
It's sport, everything happens.
Enjoy it, no need to cry about it.

What do you mean he only won one? :o:

The flag bearer of USA Michel Phelps has won some 18 Gold Medals.

Even in China there are multiple atheletes with multiple Golds. You could have selected Wu Minxia, with four Golds.

Anyways Lei Sheng loses, and his journey ends.

China's having a tough time. In london China won the first gold of the olympics!

Even in China there are multiple atheletes with multiple Golds. You could have selected Wu Minxia, with four Golds.

China's having a tough time. In london China won the first gold of the olympics!
Hey, you are being dramatic here.
It's sport, not sure you like sport or not, you lose and win.....

Choose some less known sport game why not?
After some little achievement in archery years ago, we even have archery clubs everywhere in shopping centre....Same effect with curling.....in NE China

Yes its going badly but things will turn around. You win some and you lose some.

Its hard to be playing at the top of the medals table and competing against the best athletes of the largest and richest nations.

Just you watch. How many gold do you think China will get by the end?

Yes its going badly but things will turn around. You win some and you lose some.

Its hard to be playing at the top of the medals table and competing against the best athletes of the largest and richest nations.

Just you watch. How many gold do you think China will get by the end?
China gets more or less than last one in London, not really important.
Most important thing, audience at home enjoy the games, every game is live online.
To enjoy the game, u get to learn the rules, quite possibly you feel love in it and start to try....
That's the logics behind the new archery clubs here in Wuhan.....

China gets more or less than last one in London, not really important.
Most important thing, audience at home enjoy the games, every game is live online.
To enjoy the game, u get to learn the rules, quite possibly you feel love in it and start to try....
That's the logics behind the new archery clubs here in Wuhan.....

Bro, its equally important to win big, in proportion to Chinese standing in the world.

Its not acceptable for China to do poorly here, there is no backing down and taking anything less than second in gold and total medals.

Bro, its equally important to win big, in proportion to Chinese standing in the world.

Its not acceptable for China to do poorly here, there is no backing down and taking anything less than second in gold and total medals.
You are being equally dramatic here....
How is Du Li's one less successful shot related to China's big face problem?
Nothing drama now, it was not 1980s, has to politicise everything like how the Russia and US were biting against each other on everything.

If really wanna big wins, import Africans.
No way will we do that!
袋输地区哪一村?

You are being equally dramatic here....
How is Du Li's one less successful shot related to China's big face problem?
Nothing drama now, it was not 1980s, has to politicise everything like how the Russia and US were biting against each other on everything.

If really wanna big wins, import Africans.
No way will we do that!
袋输地区哪一村?

China can do well without Africans, just not in track and field.

The olympics is often a reflection of a nations strength and standing. Im sure China will stay no.2 here but anything less is out of the question.

Its just day one you clown.

China can do well without Africans, just not in track and field.

The olympics is often a reflection of a nations strength and standing. Im sure China will stay no.2 here but anything less is out of the question.

Its just day one you clown.

Look at the lack of Africans in the gold medal winners. Just backing up your claim. Maybe you need some white people.

Last edited:
First gold for China. Congratulations.
http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/news/-ReadySetRio--Zhang-wins-China-s-first-gold-in-Rio-shooting
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AFP) – Zhang Mengxue got China off the gold medal mark at the Rio Games on Sunday, the Olympic debutant winning the women's 10m air pistol title.

With an assured display of precision shooting at Deodoro the 25-year-old comfortably held off Russian teenager Vitalina Batsarashkina, with Greece's Anna Korakaki taking bronze.

Zhang grabbed her chance to take the title after her compatriot Guo Wenjun, the champion in 2008 and London 2012, misfired badly in qualifying to miss out on the final.
Zheng_w304.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom