What's new

PTI's Azadi March 14th August 2014 l Updates and debate.

Karachi rally with Imran Khan

B4p_eKTCUAAMZhr.jpg

B4p_YnSIYAA5hed.jpg

Karachi paralysed by PTI protests - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

Life became paralysed in the city on Friday as major business centres remained closed, traffic mostly stayed off the roads and educational activities were badly affected on the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) shutdown call along with sit-ins on main roads and traffic intersections.

Patience demonstrated by law enforcers and the provincial government, resumption of talks between the PTI and the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz to hold inquiry into alleged rigging in last year general elections and tacit support of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement reportedly helped to ensure peaceful atmosphere in Karachi.

A few cracker and grenade attacks reported from the gang-infested Lyari areas, however, left a boy dead and some others wounded. Police said the incidents were result of gang warfare and had nothing to do with national politics.

But a senior police officer admitted that a group led by Uzair Baloch in Lyari had given a shutdown call that largely went unheeded with shops and markets remained opened.

“The PTI staged sit-ins at at least 30 places, blocking roads with burning old tyres and by parking vehicles there,” said Karachi police chief Ghulam Qadir Thebo.

“It [the activity] went very smoothly in view of the fact that Karachi has a very bad history of protests,” said the city police chief.

At some places, he said, only vehicles had been parked to block road traffic but there were no protesters.

“We dealt with the situation patiently and facilitated the peaceful protests, as we did not want to provide the party an opportunity to create disturbances,” said the additional inspector general.

The PTI leadership had made a ‘commitment’ that they would not force the markets to close, would not block vehicles of law enforcers and rescue services. However, on Friday morning PTI workers did not follow this commitment when they blocked a part of Sharea Faisal and did not allow police commandos, who were on their way to their duty, to pass through. “It resulted in an exchange of heated arguments between the police and the PTI workers, but the police did not resort to baton charge,” said Mr Thebo.

He said the police provided alternative routes to commuters who did face hardship due to the blockade of the main arteries.

Karachi Transport Ittehad chief Irshad Bukhari said hardly 1,000 vehicles of between 9,000 and 10,000 buses, coaches and minibuses in the city plied on roads in the localities where no protests or sit-ins were staged.

He disclosed that a few days ago PTI lawmaker Khurram Sher Zaman and another leader had called them requesting that public transport be kept off the roads on Friday. The road blockades also ensured closure of major markets though shops and small markets in localities remained opened.

nawaz should feel some shame.

الطاف بھائی آپ کا شکریہ کہ پی ٹی آئی کا دھرنا کامیاب بنایا۔

الطاف بھائی آپ کا شکریہ کہ پی ٹی آئی کا دھرنا کامیاب بنایا۔

pmln ka bhi shukria jis nay hamen rigging audit na kera ker itna faida diya kay aaj bacha bacha kehta hai... lakh di lanat nawaz ganja tere tae :D

PTI @PTIofficial · 4 minutes ago
We have taken 2 decisions; 1)We have postponed our talks w/ PMLN govt at the moment 2)We have also postponed 18th Dec Strike - #IKPressTalk

PTI @PTIofficial · 8 minutes ago
How can a human being explain this situation? #IKPressTalk

Dr. Arif Alvi @ArifAlvi · 10 minutes ago
18th December protest has been postponed in view of this national tragedy

Shireen Mazari @ShireenMazari1 · 18 minutes ago
Difficult to say anything on the vile attack on schoolchildren in Peshawar. Words not strong enough 2 condemn the TTP monsters 4 this.

PTI @PTIofficial · 1 hour ago
Chairman @ImranKhanPTI to leave for Peshawar shortly.

Imran Khan @ImranKhanPTI · 2 hours ago
Shocked at attack on school in Peshawar. Strongly condemn this inhuman act of utter barbarism.

@Leader

Please pass this idea to IK.

IK should bring all the parents of shaheeds and injured kids together in one place in few days. The whole country should then give them the support....face to face and on the phone / TV etc. There should be fatiha and Dua for all...and for the families.

When they will meet and see each other, this will be a source of comfort for all of them because they are combined together by the bond of grief and sorrow.

This is the time of showing leadership in humane way and IK can do it.

Last edited:
Dharna ends....

Imran Khan shows much needed maturity. His stature will now grow. I hope he supports government in war against TTP and focuses on electoral reforms and governance of KPK. This will decide his fortunes in 2018 elections. I hope and wish he gets more than 25 seats like this time.

His course of action will decide whether he becomes another Asghar Khan, or actually becomes a valued politician.

Pakistan needs stability, at least to allow much needed economic improvement, growth, and development. Imran's contribution will matter a great deal in his electoral performance.

Welcome back Imran. I hope you stay the course now. I would not mind supporting you again, provided you put our political, economic, and institutional need for stability first.

Pure maturity from imran khan which is great to see. At such turbulent times he has decided to keep this stuff aside and focus on security. Well done and truly this will go in his favor as it shows that he truly truly puts the security of the country above all else. I was glad to see him sit on the left side of nawaz.

Now he can give his hundred percent on KPK as well.

PTI @PTIofficial · 2 minutes ago
Looking at situation in country we look towards you now. Democracy is not in just elections, it is in free and fair elections. Imran Khan.

PTI @PTIofficial · 3 minutes ago
My nation wants me to stand by them & I will. But i ask Nawaz Sharif, will you stand b y the country's demand to investigate elections. IK.

Good decision, lets hope government is also sincere and the rigging will be investigated and culprits held accountable.

Pure maturity from imran khan which is great to see. At such turbulent times he has decided to keep this stuff aside and focus on security. Well done and truly this will go in his favor as it shows that he truly truly puts the security of the country above all else. I was glad to see him sit on the left side of nawaz.

Now he can give his hundred percent on KPK as well.

This "maturity" was needed since 2013.

Why did it take the precious lives of 100s of innocent kids for IK to realize the simple fact. We are in the middle of the war for our survival and not some gad-forsaken cricket cup.

Back
Top Bottom