What's new

Process of Manufacturing Next Gen Fighter at PAC To Start Soon

For now, PAF should concentrate on mass producing newer blocks of JF-17 rather than thinking about any venture for a 5th generation fighter while absorbing new technologies along the way and investing in aeronautical R&D.

After producing 5th Block of JF-17, then it should be decided to start any project of 5th generation fighter as JV or totally indigenous. Right now, neither out finances nor our R&D is capable to start of any 5th generation project.

That is FC-31 it will be called JF-31 in PAF..

1) Is feasible (but why reinvent the wheel?) it will be JF-31 based on J-31 v2 and will evolve to v3 and v4 if possible
2) Tke Turkey for example and even with it access to the most advanced technologies and no money problems is still in design stage of a next generation fighter, Pakistan can join in but dreaming about a whole 5th generation fighter, designed and made in Pakistan might need some decades to realize.. the First step in the right direction is point 1) (see above)
Turkey does not have anyway near the technical expertise of PAC/NESCOM. Their F16 is basically assembled from Lockheed supplied kits, they don't manufacture components like we do for the Thunder. As it is, I suspect the actual plane would be based on the J31, with modifications for our own needs. One of the primary lessons of the JF17 saga has been the need to have aircraft made tailored to our needs. We have had a requirement for a large air superiority fighter since the F6 went out of service, the initial hope had been J11B, but nowadays PAF seems to have decided that a true fifth gen plane is needed

It was 250 in the beginning, it was cut to150 and now 250 again!? I Think it is a typing error, since the following sentence contradicts it: "An official of the Pakistan Air Force said it would soon start the process of manufacturing the next generation fighter aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra." the same facilities where the JF-17 are made. so to guess it right, the next generation manufacturing will start "soon" after the JF-17 Blk 3 is done with..
The Block III is most ways a new aircraft and the JF17 Thunder "B" is going to be a strike aircraft. Basically we are looking at 150 Blk 1 & 2 and perhaps 100 Blk 3 and B's. Our ideal fleet come 2030.

250 JF17 all stripes
100 J31
50 J16 for deep strike/nuclear missions
50 K8P for ground attack
50 Su35/EF2000 in the Maritime role.

Turkey does not have anyway near the technical expertise of PAC/NESCOM. Their F16 is basically assembled from Lockheed supplied kits, they don't manufacture components like we do for the Thunder. As it is, I suspect the actual plane would be based on the J31, with modifications for our own needs. One of the primary lessons of the JF17 saga has been the need to have aircraft made tailored to our needs. We have had a requirement for a large air superiority fighter since the F6 went out of service, the initial hope had been J11B, but nowadays PAF seems to have decided that a true fifth gen plane is needed

The Block III is most ways a new aircraft and the JF17 Thunder "B" is going to be a strike aircraft. Basically we are looking at 150 Blk 1 & 2 and perhaps 100 Blk 3 and B's. Our ideal fleet come 2030.

250 JF17 all stripes
100 J31
50 J16 for deep strike/nuclear missions
50 K8P for ground attack
50 Su35/EF2000 in the Maritime role.
Sounds good only the part of 250 JF-17 was cut to 150, anyways 150 all upgraded to Blk 3 will be much better than having anymore Blk 1 and 2s..
There is a bigger probability for te SU-35 than EF 2000..

If we stop after JF17 Block III, then that would be a blunder. We need to continue the process to gain experience and gain market for aircraft export.

J31 V2 making would be a good step. We can not call it JF31. It is still not designated with this name by PAF.
The time to upgrade all Blks to Blk 3 standard and then continue, there are exports too but China might take care of that, The next generation is also very important in these times..

Last edited:
Indeginious 5th generation program is always too costly for Pakistan. I really don't find a reason to even discuss such a scenario

We need to focus on JF-17 for few more years before starting another project from scratch. Pakistan have been able to obsorb 58% technology from JF-17 project and it will be nice to see if we can learn as much as possible before starting a project by our own. I would always advocate another joint venture with China for 5th Generation aircraft after 2020

Pakistan does not have enough resources to start another program in parallel to JF-17 so I guess we just need to realistic

In the meantime we can talk about buying few squadrons of FC-31 from China
Why don't we join the J-31 program and help tailor it for our needs?

Why don't we join the J-31 program and help tailor it for our needs?
Money factor I guess

Pakistan would love to join as joint venture when China is bearing all cost of planning, R&D and production. All we will do is... Ohhh this is how we do it... ohhh ok this is how it is done... ooohhh okk good that you have taught us in this joint venture and funded the whole project why not give us few squadrons for buy now pay later, cash in 2040

The reality is 5th generation projects are too expensive to participate as joint venture unless the cost is shared by several nations. Pakistan should convince Saudi Arabia and Turkey and start a fresh 5th generation program with technical resources from China and Turkey, funds from Saudis and Made in Pakistan. The only joint venture truly possible for Pakistan is in such a way.

Pakistan should be satisfied with few squadrons from China in coming years and I don't foresee participation in 5th generation program for couple of years

PS: Says the most non technical and non-defence professional person on this forum

Lately, PAF is coming up pretty good in making Drones either surveillance or armed drones also laser guided missiles fired from drones. And recently in some articles I have studied that a few countries in the world is in the process of making Next Generation jets. Now when you say this term it is not referred to a 5th Generation as I understand. It is referred to a 6th Generation jets that will change the air warfare and destroy the manned 5th Generation Jets because it will be an unarmed jet like drones may be bigger in sizes a bit with weapons and ammunition with the highly advance sensors, radars, jammers and since it is not operation by any pilot it will have high G Turns than a 5th Gen Jet, more speed that the humans can sustain, and high G pressure can be sustained by these 6th Generation birds, instantaneous turns and extreme maneuvers compare to a regular 5th Gen Jet.

What I think Pakistan might acquire a 5th Generation jet may be modifies it a bit but the Next Gen is a 6th generation tech and since it is an unmanned jet Pakistan is making a very good progress in it and completely focuses on it in the form of current drones. If you search online there are a few 6th Generation designs already available. So by working on 4 and 5th Gen Jets PAF can acquire the knowledge base may come up with this.

I m not sure what will happen but PAF seems to be going in the right direction.

An official of the Pakistan Air Force said it would soon start the process of manufacturing the next generation fighter aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra.

At present, they are engaged in increasing the number of JF-17 Thunder aircraft into the air force fleet to 250 from the current 70. “Intensive technology is being used to make JF-17 Thunder, Super Mushshak and other military hardware,” he said.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1243724/ideas-2016-navy-considering-buying-warships-china-turkey/
I think PAC is producing 58% JF-17 THUNDER at KAMRA and major parts are importing from China.

That is FC-31 it will be called JF-31 in PAF...

There was an official future program called the JF-18. If this new jet will be called the JF-31, then what's the JF-18 going to be?

I feel as if there is something we are missing in this analysis. And that is the fact that recently Pakistan has finalized sales of a significant number of Super Mashshaks and JF-17s to other countries as well. It would be safe to say those countries will be expecting their orders within the next few years. I don't remember all the numbers off the top of my head so can you guys please help filling in the following table:

Super Mashshak
----------------------
Number: 50

JF-17
-------
Number: ????

Number: ?????

Number: ??????

Number: EoI (Expression of Interest) only

Number: EoI

Number: EoI

I feel as if behind the scenes, PAF will definitely be developing more manufacturing capacity. If that is true, then it makes sense that they might increase it to a point where work on a next generation fighter can start in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom