What's new

President of the UAE is talking about selling Mirage 2000-9 to Greece.

Akritas

Reaction score
Country
Greece
A possible major military deal between allies
The President of the United Arab Emirates 🇦🇪 Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan recently discussed with the Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis the sale of the Dassault Mirage 2000-9 fighters to the UAE
Mirage 2000-9 is the best Mirage version in the world

They just spent $1B upgrading them. I don’t think they are for sale.

It would be better to get those,than the Qatari ones.

True, the thing is that you can carry emirati weapons after like the Al Tariq pgm, Thunder series etc...
And they're also on the same level (or even better?) than ours. The Qatari ones where an older variant.

And they're also on the same level (or even better?) than ours. The Qatari ones where an older variant.
They are operational from Mauritius to Yemen. Carrying airstrikes in Yemen.

"
The Hellenic Air Force appears to be interested in introducing at least 36 Mirage 2000-9 jets out of a total of 60 currently available in the UAE Air Force fleet. HAF's plan is to replace some of its older Mirage 2000 EG/BGs with younger ones. Furthermore, Athens would like to resell the most fatigued Mirages to a private French defense company for Red Air and air combat training activities.

The Emirates Mirage 2000-9 aircraft is expected to be available starting in 2026, when Abu Dhabi will receive the first Rafales from France.

The UAE purchased the Mirage 2000 aircraft in two tranches, in 1986 and 1998. Some of them were received in the 2000-9 configuration while others were upgraded later. These aircraft boast excellent capabilities in both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat as they are equipped with the powerful RDY-3 radar, the Sniper pod, MICA air-to-air missiles, Black Shaheen cruise missile (export version of the French SCALP- EG), Exocet anti-ship missile and laser guided weaponry. They are also receiving the Shehan laser pod which is derived from the French Damocles."

Last edited:
They are operational from Mauritius to Yemen. Carrying airstrikes in Yemen.
They sure are,but if we're getting some,we should probably get the Mirage 2000-9 that UAE has,instead of the
Mirage 2000-5EDA. They are supposedly like our Mirage 2000-5 Mk.II

Reported, uae was going to gift these fighter jets to Morocco and Egypt?

they like to keep Turkey in line
There has been a recent thaw in Turk-Emirati relationship. How can Emirates "keep" Turkiye in line by donating 20 odd aircraft?
Most logical recipient (if at all) would be Egypt that can absorb them in their existing fleet. But like I said before the -9s have been upgrade recently (1B expense) and are actively used in the Yemini theater. They also sortied in Libya as well. Very potent platform with integrated indigenous weaponry. They are not going to be parted soon (in my opinion).

There has been a recent thaw in Turk-Emirati relationship. How can Emirates "keep" Turkiye in line by donating 20 odd aircraft?
Most logical recipient (if at all) would be Egypt that can absorb them in their existing fleet. But like I said before the -9s have been upgrade recently (1B expense) and are actively used in the Yemini theater. They also sortied in Libya as well. Very potent platform with integrated indigenous weaponry. They are not going to be parted soon (in my opinion).

I am not commenting on the wisdom or practical effect. Just outlining what I think is the logic
Let us not pretend Erdogan is not paying attention to such things

Greece cannot handle Turkey now
I said "they like to keep Turkey in line"

Back
Top Bottom