What's new

Poverty rate declines to 32 per cent: Plan panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 2 is about 2010 my friend. The whole report has been constructed from 2010 data.

You forgot to read this in the report:

"The MPI was constructed by OPHI for the UNDP’s 2010 Human Development Report" on Page 1.

They just quoted a small table on Page 1 from 2005, all of the rest is from 2010.

I am assuming that you are intentionally misleading for the purpose of trolling because I would not like to believe that a senior member with 1500 posts could be so foolish as to imagine that a social sciences report published in 2010 will carry 2010 data. The page 1 you refer to is the title that says that the survey done by DHS in 2005 is the basis of the report.

And to be absolutely certain, at the end of India section on page 6, following are the foot notes

1 The decompositions were performed by Suman Seth, OPHI.
2 Our calculation and total population of the poor includes Delhi but in this table we focus on Indian states.
3 Note that the estimation of the number of state-wise poor population is based on the actual population in 2007, as these are the
figures we have used for international comparisons across 104 countries. However, the proportion of MPI poor population is
estimated using the DHS dataset 2005-6 which has a slightly different distribution of population across states
. Therefore, the
total number of poor people in the last column may not sum up exactly to 645 million; however it is a lower bound.
4 Eastern Indian states include Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, and Tripura.

The HDI has a lot of indexes that have nothing to do with poverty. For example:

Life Expectancy Index, Education Index, Expected Years of Schooling Index have nothing to do with poverty rates. GINI index, which is directly related to poverty as well as all wealth inequality indexes, Pakistan does significantly better than India. In stuff like education, India does better, but that doesn't have anything to do with poverty.

The main reason of UNDP work on HDI index is because it is overall performance of the living standard of people in countries. If you see though a large country India has done better than all its neighbors excluding China in terms of human development than. HDI is improving slower but due to high growth poverty reduction is moving faster for India.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/UN_Human_Development_Report_2010_1.PNG

In India govt initiatives in last ten years has given good output in reducing poverty.

If growth is counties at 10+% for next few years the poverty will be significantly reduced.

I will post few govt initiatives about reducing poverty and improving human development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom