Poverty rate declines to 32 per cent: Plan panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirza Jatt

Reaction score
Country
India
Poverty rate declines to 32 per cent: Plan panel :yahoo:

The latest data of the Planning Commission indicates that poverty in India has declined to 32 per cent in 2009-10 from 37.2 per cent five years ago. :tup:

The preliminary estimates are based on the formula suggested by the Tendulkar Committee for computing the number of poor in the country.

Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia on Wednesday told reporters that the 2009-10 data shows a decline in poverty from 37.2 per cent in 2004-05 to 32 per cent in 2009-10 as per preliminary data worked out by Planning Commission member Abhijit Sen.

The Tendulkar Committee had suggested that poverty should be estimated on the basis on consumption based on cost of living index instead of caloric intake. It said that the basket of goods should also include services like health and education.

The new poverty line, as suggested by the Tendulkar Committee, is different for rich and poor States and also different for rural and urban areas within a State. “These are preliminary data. Mr. Sen has worked on them. He has reported that the 2009-10 data show a decline in poverty from 37 per cent in 2004 to 32 per cent in 2009. I agree with him. I agree with his assessment,’’ Mr. Ahluwalia said.

He said that the National Sample Survey, which conducts large sample surveys every five years, will launch its next round in 2011-12.

Estimates of poverty are important because provision of cheap grains under the proposed Food Security law will be based on these numbers.

Mr. Ahluwalia raised doubts over the feasibility of achieving 10 per cent average economic expansion in the 12th Plan (2012-17) and said the next Plan would target GDP growth of 9 to 9.5 per cent in the next five years. :tup: “If you ask me personally, I think setting target of 10 per cent GDP growth as an average for 12th Plan is not feasible. It would be somewhere between 9 to 9.5 in next Plan period,’’ he said.

“Our assessment is that the international situation is full of uncertainty. I feel that if we are looking at a five year period (2012-17), we can do much better than we did in 11th Plan. I don't think that there should be much difficulty setting a target of 9 per cent,’’ he said.

A major area of focus would be on increasing agricultural productivity. “In the 10th Plan agricultural growth was around 2 per cent, in the 11th Plan it looks as if it will be 3 per cent. It won't be 4 per cent that we had targeted. My view would be that in the 12th Plan we must make sure that we can get to 4 per cent,’’ Mr. Ahluwalia said.

The Hindu : Business / Economy : Poverty rate declines to 32 per cent: Plan panel

Thats good news...form 37% to 32% great in 5 years...
Soon we will have very less poverty :yahoo:

^^^ good to see the numbers decreasing....eradicating poverty is one of the biggest task of any Govt. ..slowly but surely we are on the right path.

I'm very much hopeful that poverty will come down below 20% by 2020.

but 32 % poverty is still very high and it remain so if we don't bring green revolution in agriculture.

We did back then,it made us food exporter

Now we need again agricultural reforms,this time to alleviate poverty,hunger

where are the trolls who say Indian will be filled with poor by 2050:tdown:

punjab and harryana has only 4% people under povrty line and there will be 0.60% people under poverty by next 5 years.......

what do you guys think about private farming? this can give guaranteed income to many poor people...

good news!!! apart from this we need to make agriculture a commercial an element.... we need to increase productivity of our agricultre and do more export... And a big building block is needed in technology and manufacturing sector... India will automatically march to prosperity

what do you guys think about private farming? this can give guaranteed income to many poor people...

Mushroom cultivation is very profitable, they can earn somewhere between 15k-20k if they can farm over 1000-1500 sq meters of land.

Mushroom cultivation is very profitable, they can earn somewhere between 15k-20k if they can farm over 1000-1500 sq meters of land.

I meant private companies buying land and employing people to do farming and other related stuff with farming..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom