What's new

Poverty in China is a lie: rethinking poverty in China

esolve

Reaction score
Country
China

This man has been in China for many years and he is shocked that the poor ppl in China live a better life than poor ppl in other countries.

Indeed, nowadays, if you are not old, disabled or lazy, it is very easy to find a job. Factory jobs are with 500-800 dollars per month while construction, express delivery jobs can even make you earn 1800 dollars per month. The poor ppl in China are usually lazy, old, disabled or orphans

The state council estimated that there are around 80 million ppl in China below poverty line.
In China, there is a Subsistence Security System, which provides lowest subsistence allowance to the poorest people. And the population who receives this lowest subsitence is just about 80 million.

In cities, the allowance is around 60 dollars per month per person while in rural areas, it is about 30 dollars per month per person, in some extreme poor areas, the allowance could be 100 dollars per month. Compared to city ppl, rural villagers have farmland and so they may no need to buy food and thus get less allowances than city ppl. And these ppl ususally get free running water, free electricity as well as free cable TV.

But the income of ppl who receives this allowance is not just this allowance. In my town, I know many ppl who receives this allowance, and they have additional jobs. They may work in a restaurants, supermarket, construction site. If they work in construction sites, they may make 1000 dollars per month but still get the lowest subsistence allowance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not saying that there are not poor ppl in China. ppl who earn less than 200 dollars per month in China are poor ppl. There are many poor ppl in China, but not so many poor ppl below that poverty line as those crappy statistics .
poor rural ppl get government allowance of at least 30 dollars/day while poor city ppl get at least 60 dollars/day.
if you are not old or disabled, it is just too easy to find a job of over 300 dollars per month
how can there be so many ppl below poverty line of $2/day

Last edited:
Right. Many factories in China have the problem that they can not recruit enough workers. So as long as you want to work, you will find a job and get a proper salary.

Good job! Nothing you can say about the system which takes care of the poor and also create wealth for others.

Right. Many factories in China have the problem that they can not recruit enough workers. So as long as you want to work, you will find a job and get a proper salary.

yes, this is the reality

工厂不是合适每一个人
贫困在中国仍然是大问题
一个家庭的收入应该能保证体面生活
现在最低层的人还是能保证温饱问题,但是遇到重大变故就麻烦了
一个国家总要向前看
The factory is not for everyone

Poverty is still a big problem in China

A family's income should be able to guarantee a decent life

The lowest layer still can ensure that the problem of food and clothing, butencountered significant changes in trouble

A country must look forward

工厂不是合适每一个人
贫困在中国仍然是大问题
一个家庭的收入应该能保证体面生活
现在最低层的人还是能保证温饱问题,但是遇到重大变故就麻烦了
一个国家总要向前看
The factory is not for everyone

Poverty is still a big problem in China

A family's income should be able to guarantee a decent life

The lowest layer still can ensure that the problem of food and clothing, butencountered significant changes in trouble

A country must look forward

if you really live on $1 a day, I think a factory job will be suitable for you
and there are not only factory jobs, but also restaurant, supermarket, gatekeeper blabla

what I want to say is : not really so many ppl who live on $1.25 a day

if you really live on $1 a day, I think a factory job will be suitable for you
and there are not only factory jobs, but also restaurant, supermarket, gatekeeper blabla

what I want to say is : not really so many ppl who live on $1.25 a day
我认为数据是可信的,现在贫困线以下的人主要是一些山区的留守人员,主要是老人。
山西太行山、四川大凉山存在连片的贫困区,作为一个驴友,这些地方我去过不少,这些地方基本上没有发展经济的条件。
故土难离是很多人的想法,他们宁愿贫困也不愿意离开家乡,还有就是五六十岁的人工厂一般不要的。
说这些人的脱贫任务是硬骨头没错,观念差别太大了。
这是中国现实,没必要因为几个印度人阴阳怪气的掰掰就否认这些。

2011211134551085.jpg
2012319191858278841088.jpg

这样的地方很难发展起来,只能一步步把人口迁移下来,这是不能强制执行的

我认为数据是可信的,现在贫困线以下的人主要是一些山区的留守人员,主要是老人。
山西太行山、四川大凉山存在连片的贫困区,作为一个驴友,这些地方我去过不少,这些地方基本上没有发展经济的条件。
故土难离是很多人的想法,他们宁愿贫困也不愿意离开家乡,还有就是五六十岁的人工厂一般不要的。
说这些人的脱贫任务是硬骨头没错,观念差别太大了。
这是中国现实,没必要因为几个印度人阴阳怪气的掰掰就否认这些。

这样的地方很难发展起来,只能一步步把人口迁移下来,这是不能强制执行的

you admitted that these are mostly some old rural ppl who are poor or orphans, that is what I have been repeating

说谁是妓女都不会影响到我
我很好奇,印度现任总理早年抛弃了他的妻子,而且没有再婚是不是因为他是个性无能?或者他是个同性恋?

Say who is a prostitute won't affect me

I was curious, India's current Prime Minister early abandoned his wife, and never remarried Is it right? Because he is impotent? Or he's gay?

Your post is reported.
@WebMaster @Fulcrum15 @Chak Bamu please clean this thread.

次奥!硬#度老说不过就来删#贴了

What this argument amounts to, if I understand it correctly, is that traditional poverty measures are not suitable for China and tend to overstate poverty in China. Because, if you look at indicators of poverty, poverty in China is certainly not a lie (although the reduction in poverty China has achieved is truly outstanding).

Can you explain why traditional poverty measures are unsuitable for China?

The poor China has 6,900 USD per GDP. The rich India has 1,200 USD per GDP... if China really has 400million ppl under poverty line, they will richer than the "rich man" in India, don‘t forget to build more toilets in "rich" India as many & good as in "poor" China...lol!

Poverty and Poor have various meanings and definitions for various cultures. Are we referring to materialistic definition? A spiritual and religious context? Lastly, poverty is subjective. What is considered 'poor' for one man is considered 'rich' for another.

In regards to this subject matter, however, do I believe that China has poverty, sure. But don't we all? Even hyper-developed nations such as the United States and Japan have poor, have homeless. But in context to the traditional definition of 'poor', referring to those who have an income that is below the lowest fringe of the gdp per capita of a particular country, poverty can be ameliorated with the right factors into play. Presence of human services agencies such as shelters, job agencies, then lifting oneself from poverty can be attained.

Back
Top Bottom