What's new

Poll - What inlet design would you like to see on the NGFA ?

What inlet design would you like to see on the NGFA ?

• YF-23 Black Widow Style

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Dorsal inlets with DSI leading to S-channels

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • F22 Raptor

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • UCAVs (MQ-20) Style

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • DSI

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other Solutions (Specify solution in thread)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Janab, there is a fundamental issue that stops scientific discussion. The requirements have not been defined. What is NGFA? What capabilities does it need? What aerodynamic qualities, flight envelope is needed? What engine shall we assume? Inlet design cannot happen inside a vacuum. I gave my wishlist based on an imaginary concept I hold somewhere in my mind. This is not a concrete discussion.

Indeed, we don't have an official design requirement here. For example, you can opt for the design based on your own concept for NGF. Here's no official discussion. Same as like, someone mentioned F-22 style, some asks for YF-23 etc etc. In-fact, an academic level, members with knowledge will choose an inlet design as per their study or knowledge about a true NGF. One can even start with a downgraded but competing NGF as a starter. I mean, anything can work. It's just an open discussion. Just support your inlet preferences with substance, if you want to which will actually help for many like me to understand as well or at-least learn something new.

Regards,

Last edited:
Best would be NO inlet.....if we can come up with an engine that doesn't need air
So you want Want NFG will be Rocket plane like US X15, but problem is that Rocket engines are extremely fuel thrusty and have a extremely short range, and fuel last only for few minuets, even for biggest space launch vehicle, turbojets and turbofans need inlets to burn fuel efficient cruising/ increase range.

brother you're new to the forum, first do research before you post here on PDF

Janab, there is a fundamental issue that stops scientific discussion. The requirements have not been defined. What is NGFA? What capabilities does it need? What aerodynamic qualities, flight envelope is needed? What engine shall we assume? Inlet design cannot happen inside a vacuum. I gave my wishlist based on an imaginary concept I hold somewhere in my mind. This is not a concrete discussion.
That is why the question has been posed here to get the opinions. I think... so that we can gauge the pros and cons of each. I am assuming it is for a manned aircraft (or a combination).

NGFA proposal is well listed.
Add 'none of the above' and 'other_solutions' as addon options please.

Creating a separate thread for an interesting exercise which will help in quality discussion. I have added as much of options given the already shared choices. However, the list will edited in-case of any different design. Instead of going into technical jargons & terminology, kept the options easily to be understood like YF-23 or F-22 style.

The thread will remain open until some final advisory or as if you wants to conclude the discussion. After that, the same will be merged with main AZM thread, if need be.

Regards,
@Everyone, when you are choosing a design or if the same is not available in the list, do share details along with the reason of such an inlet design. In the meanwhile, will try to add the same in poll list or replace. Remember that there are limitations of designs per stated & default flight parameters. Like, there are supersonic or subsonic engine inlets.

Either side inlets, or even better, dorsal inlets with DSI leading to S-channels and an LO outer design. That's if NGFA means a 5th gen stealth/LO plane.
Dorsal inlet or inlet at the top can only happened with a UAV, since presence of a cockpit bump will disrupt airflow in the case of a manned aircraft. I will vote after reading up a little.

A DSI would limit the top speed to below mach 2, I would like a fast penetrator and intercepter capability in the NGFA, so DSI and Dorsal are out for me.

@ All
What inlet design would you like to see on the NGFA ?
Side inlets with DSI leading to S channels to hide the turbine blades...
...like on F35.
- YF23 inlet design was innovative and stealthier than a conventional splitter plate intake design...in the days before DSI was a thing...but adds unnecessary complexity.
- F22 has the conventional splitter plate design...which again is more complex than DSI and doesn't help when stealth is a priority.
- As for inlets on top...like on MQ20...as per my knowledge(reading stuff online)...it would cause stall at high AoA. While BVR combat is becoming more and more the norm...considering India/Pak...WVR combat is still going to happen...
...therefore agility would be crucial especially for an aircraft like AZM NGF...which would most likely be the mainstay of PAF in the future. Which is why...I would rule out any such inlet designs(like the MQ20) on AZM NGF.

Dorsal inlet or inlet at the top can only happened with a UAV, since presence of a cockpit bump will disrupt airflow in the case of a manned aircraft. I will vote after reading up a little.

A DSI would limit the top speed to below mach 2, I would like a fast penetrator and intercepter capability in the NGFA, so DSI and Dorsal are out for me.
Actually experimental F-107 design had a dorsal intake didn't distrup airflow ànd work well in 50/60 if intakes are over the wings like A-4 ànd F-4 it doesn't make a problem but have a benefits of a disturb airflow over the wings.

Top speed of a jet is not important acceleration ànd maneuverability is more important than top speed

Last edited:
Actually experimental F-7 design had a dorsal intake didn't distrup airflow ànd work well in 50/60 if intakes are over the wings like A-4 ànd F-4 it doesn't make a problem but have a benefits of a disturb airflow over the wings.

Top speed of a jet is not important acceleration ànd maneuverability is more important than top speed

Share your Inlet Design that you like to see on NGFA and let others share their opinion as well. We are not here to prove anyone wrong.

Yf-23 inlet
28E1D8B5-1F61-40AA-A402-2C41F631D051.jpeg

3BD2D510-3547-4FC2-92DC-C62ECD1A7645.jpeg

Dorsal inlet
9AABF905-0A43-472F-8AAB-5CE53851A448.jpeg

UCAV MQ-20 style
11611D3F-8A35-4E00-AA2E-E806FA5C155E.jpeg

F-35 type DSI intake
4A1A6468-968E-4692-BAD2-A24A592F4F61.jpeg

The subject of thread warrants your thoughts on the matter and not arguing others for their opinion about the possible Inlet design for NGFA

But the problem is, barely anyone here is competent enough to discuss and argue this topic simply due to a lack of understanding, even more without any information on the NGFA's requirements such a discussion even by the better informed members makes only little sense and will end up either in a plain useless poll based on pure aesthetics or personnel favour and in the worst case scenario in the possibility to mock and ridicule certain member's decision again since barely anyone here is competent enough to discuss and argue this topic.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom