What's new

Poll - What inlet design would you like to see on the NGFA ?

What inlet design would you like to see on the NGFA ?

• YF-23 Black Widow Style

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Dorsal inlets with DSI leading to S-channels

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • F22 Raptor

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • UCAVs (MQ-20) Style

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • DSI

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other Solutions (Specify solution in thread)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
@ All

Either side inlets, or even better, dorsal inlets with DSI leading to S-channels and an LO outer design. That's if NGFA means a 5th gen stealth/LO plane.

@ All
Don’t know about inlet design but always wondered if the inlet location can be on the spine of the aircraft like some UCAVs (MQ-20). I can see it being a safety issue during ejection but it would give plenty of space for hard points and possibly provide reduced RCS for ground based radars.

Get a poll. Let see how well members can judge!!

Creating a separate thread for an interesting exercise which will help in quality discussion. I have added as much of options given the already shared choices. However, the list will edited in-case of any different design. Instead of going into technical jargons & terminology, kept the options easily to be understood like YF-23 or F-22 style.

The thread will remain open until some final advisory or as if you wants to conclude the discussion. After that, the same will be merged with main AZM thread, if need be.

Regards,
@Everyone, when you are choosing a design or if the same is not available in the list, do share details along with the reason of such an inlet design. In the meanwhile, will try to add the same in poll list or replace. Remember that there are limitations of designs per stated & default flight parameters. Like, there are supersonic or subsonic engine inlets.

Best would be NO inlet.....if we can come up with an engine that doesn't need air

I will only listen.

Creating a separate thread for an interesting exercise which will help in quality discussion. I have added as much of options given the already shared choices. However, the list will edited in-case of any different design. Instead of going into technical jargons & terminology, kept the options easily to be understood like YF-23 or F-22 style.

The thread will remain open until some final advisory or as if you wants to conclude the discussion. After that, the same will be merged with main AZM thread, if need be.

Regards,
@Everyone, when you are choosing a design or if the same is not available in the list, do share details along with the reason of such an inlet design. In the meanwhile, will try to add the same in poll list or replace. Remember that there are limitations of designs per stated & default flight parameters. Like, there are supersonic or subsonic engine inlets.

I will only listen.

Roger

Interestingly, I don't see enough Technical arguments on this thread. I was expecting a series of suggestions supported with scientific arguments or at-least a technically proven design or, yet an idea on paper but not at all except for few.

Being a commoner, however I will emphasis on a design in qualitatively Superior then not in supersonic flight regime but with cruising capability, inlets with lowering RCS impact. Black Widow was indeed an out of box thing, as a starter. Given the EW/Weapon/self defence qualities contested for future threats and modern Warfare, I don't think that a supersonic would be must. At-least given the arch rival next door, for the time being.

Secondly, a design with supersonic capability but I don't know how such an idea will fare well in this regard.

Roger

Interestingly, I don't see enough Technical arguments on this thread. I was expecting a series of suggestions supported with scientific arguments or at-least a technically proven design or, yet an idea on paper but not at all except for few.

Being a commoner, however I will emphasis on a design in qualitatively Superior then not in supersonic flight regime but with cruising capability, inlets with lowering RCS impact. Black Widow was indeed an out of box thing, as a starter. Given the EW/Weapon/self defence qualities contested for future threats and modern Warfare, I don't think that a supersonic would be must. At-least given the arch rival next door, for the time being.

Secondly, a design with supersonic capability but I don't know how such an idea will fare well in this regard.

Janab, there is a fundamental issue that stops scientific discussion. The requirements have not been defined. What is NGFA? What capabilities does it need? What aerodynamic qualities, flight envelope is needed? What engine shall we assume? Inlet design cannot happen inside a vacuum. I gave my wishlist based on an imaginary concept I hold somewhere in my mind. This is not a concrete discussion.

Back
Top Bottom