What's new

POF | Sniper Rifle

@DESERT FIGHTER

The issue is not the 'non existence' of highly trained marksmen [snipers] but the 'acute shortage' of them in our overall security apparatus.

Last edited by a moderator:
@DESERT FIGHTER

The issue is not the 'non existence' of highly trained marksmen [snipers] but the 'acute shortage' of them in our overall security apparatus.
Apart from Rangers and Army does elite police specially of Punjab Have snipers or not ?

@sandy_3126

Have you read the above article i posted about, the acute shortage of highly trained snipers in Pakistan?

Army has set up a dedicated Sniper training facility - first of its kind. The need for more trained snipers was felt when a sniper shot this guy in the head, you might remember this event.

tattoo-image-terrorist-480x238.jpg

The tattoo found on terrorist mastermind's body right?yes,we need to update our training and enhance shooting skills of soldiers such as:

Objectives:

>Rifle Sight-in & Data Book Use
>Understanding Basic Ballistics
>Advanced Marksmanship Drills
>Slings/Position Shooting
>Unconventional Positions
>Scouting, Range Est. & Sketches
>Live-fire: Extreme angle from 220?
>Live-fire: Urban hides exercises
>Live-fire: Moving Targets
>Live-fire: Multiple unknown distance ranges

Especially,multiple unknown distance ranges,and balancing of angles.

Best Regards,
Slav Defence

Apart from Rangers and Army does elite police specially of Punjab Have snipers or not ?

They have Marksmen & Sharpshooters.

Snipers are not easy to train, they are like the Special Forces amongst an Army of Marksmen and Sharpshooters. In Pakistan only the SSG trains 'Snipers' in substantial numerical strength. Pakistan Army does have a lot of Sharpshooters and Marksmen but doesn't have sufficient Snipers. The first dedicated Snipers training facility has just came online with the Army.

I did read the article and was surprised, Pakistan actually has a quite rich (enviable) rifleman tradition, unfortunately due to the prevailing situations I feel that culture is under dire threat. I was under the impression that cadres of armed services and law enforcement would turn into solid gold worth shooter given their exposure to traditional mausers which have run in the generations among pakistanis....

I hear you, when I was a kid, I used to exhaust over 500 pellets a day with my air rifle. Used to fill a 1.5L Litre Pet Bottle with sand and tie it to a branch or clothesline at about 5 feet. Voila! You have a head (albeit with a very elongated mullet) to practice with. The sand adds weight and stops the bottle from moving with wind, also stops pellets from exiting the back. Good days.......

They have Marksmen & Sharpshooters.

Snipers are not easy to train, they are like the Special Forces amongst an Army of Marksmen and Sharpshooters. In Pakistan only the SSG trains 'Snipers' in substantial numerical strength. Pakistan Army does have a lot of Sharpshooters and Marksmen but doesn't have sufficient Snipers. The first dedicated Snipers training facility has just came online with the Army.

What's the difference between Sharpshooter and Marksman

I hear you, when I was a kid, I used to exhaust over 500 pellets a day with my air rifle. Used to fill a 1.5L Litre Pet Bottle with sand and tie it to a branch or clothesline at about 5 feet. Voila! You have a head (albeit with a very elongated mullet) to practice with. The sand adds weight and stops the bottle from moving with wind, also stops pellets from exiting the back. Good days.......

Same, here. Born and grew up on a farm. I was given an air rifle which i was only allowed to use on Sundays, so i'd call up all my me buddies, cousins, me new bicycle and would practice on bottles or cardboard targets and balloons. I always wanted to shoot my grandpa's 12 gauge - my dad's AK and a few pistols lying around. Finally i was allowed to shoot a real gun at the age of 13 by mum, grandpa taught me how to shoot --- good old days. :D

What's the difference between Sharpshooter and Marksman

Yara, The main difference between a marksman and a Sniper is that a marksman is usually considered an organic part of a fireteam of soldiers, whereas regular snipers tend to work alone or with other snipers.

The Snipers are trained to work as lone rangers and are trained very hard for different environments. They are trained hard because the entire mission relies upon them and them alone.

Same, here. Born and grew up on a farm. I was given an air rifle which i was only allowed to use on Sundays, so i'd call up all my me buddies, cousins, me new bicycle and would practice on bottles or cardboard targets and balloons. I always wanted to shoot my grandpa's 12 gauge - my dad's AK and a few pistols lying around. Finally i was allowed to shoot a real gun at the age of 13 by mum, grandpa taught me how to shoot --- good old days. :D

Yara, The main difference between a marksman and a Sniper is that a marksman is usually considered an organic part of a fireteam of soldiers, whereas regular snipers tend to work alone or with other snipers.

The Snipers are trained to work as lone rangers and are trained very hard for different environments. They are trained hard because the entire mission relies upon them and them alone.

Okay now I understand Arms man would be part of group of soldiers like their is often one and two machine gun guys their would be also one with sniper or close to it thanks

All of the Above .. Last i heard their Snipers were also Trained by SSG Trainers along with Elite Force .

I have stated before, the issue is NOT the 'existence' of DMM/SS and Snipers but their 'Numerical strength'.

I have stated before, the issue is NOT the 'existence' of DMM/SS and Snipers but their 'Numerical strength'.

That's True .. Snipers in Elite Force are very few in numbers ... and unfortunately all of them are deployed on protection detail of VVIP's .

7.62 x 51Nato - The effective range for 7.62 x 51 is claimed to be 800+ yards, but realistically I have found the 7.62N to be extremely accurate at 400 yards and almost struggling at 600 yards with a 16x mil *** scope. ......

Would not a real sniper use match grade 7.62 rounds rather than the standard issue ones ?

Would not a real sniper use match grade 7.62 rounds rather than the standard issue ones ?

Police snipers rarely engage targets beyond 300 yards and will use standard issue ammunition, DM in IA also use standard issue ammo. long rang snipers using .338 Lapua and .300 win mag and 7.62 x 51N in US forces used match grade ammo in Iraq a afghanistan from Chris Kyle's book. Different ammo usually tends to add to logistical costs and ideally most countries around the world would like to consolidate their logistics within minimum varieties of ammo.

In my personal opinion the difference between standard issue and match grade is primarily the variation. All the rounds from a match grade ammo are almost identical in charge and bullet weight, whereas Mil issue ammo tends to have larger bell curve for acceptance, making wider variation in longer range shots.

Back
Top Bottom