What's new

PNS Azmat Class - Fast Attack Missile Craft | Updates & Discussions.

Azmat is a small ship. PN is in process of developing more than one ship and each one is designed for specific puspose.

Azmat class being small will be used mostly as support ship rather th s n stand alon multipurpose. It will be equipped with simple and limited systems. for multiple purpos there is Jinnah class.

They probably should look at some thing large too. But as demand for bigger ship will be limited its not worth taking complete local root for same.

The point to be more focused on is developing different ships for different roles. Azmat in its current size looks fine and we could develop more such ships with single purpose. I.e
for missile boat.
Anti submarine and colud be used as submarine hunter.
And one can carry anti air system.

A single design with swing roles rather than multi role.

such a concept will be more effective in support role. With bigger ships thay can add good value. And in stand alone operations they will be as effective too such as on submarine hunting, Land attack, Anti ship etc in case PN plans specific tast.

the only edition that azzamt might benefit from is a short range AAM and a good radar..

azmat wasnt built for antisub warfare..

Well, even I would like that but there are technical parameters that we civies and non architects don't understand. Like what happens if you put a heavy 1130 instead of 30mm SMASH? What happens to sea keeping characteristics or even basic design stability. Remember, these are steel vessels trying to float on water...

When the weight distribution moves forward then it creates a large number of problems, drastically reducing performance on a wide variety of parameters, even down to ability to maneuver and speed.

Large radars are also:
1. Heavy, and heavy in exactly the wrong place - creating top imbalances
2. Require far superior power supply.
3. Takes space

Again, sounds wonderful for us but may sound insane for actual engineers and architects that do this for a living. Just my 0.02.

Absolutely what you are saying is true, that is why i listed the the Kronos which has multiple layouts and is designed to fit in the superstructure of the ship. With respect to 1130 it is a suggestion/placeholder. Something like the ak630 (which albeit is much smaller) on the 022 houbei facs. But you and i can both appreciate that with the right motivation and $$ the shit can be more than it is (though it holds impressive firepower for what it is). Just to give an example of what it could be, the Hamina class of Finland is half the size (250t) with 8 cell vls for Umkhonto ir, 4 AShM, 1 rail for depth charges, a 57mm cannon, and 2 12.7mm guns and a MASS system. A 200km range radar like TRS-3D/16ES provides excellent situational awareness. Layout and systems are everything.

Absolutely what you are saying is true, that is why i listed the the Kronos which has multiple layouts and is designed to fit in the superstructure of the ship. With respect to 1130 it is a suggestion/placeholder. Something like the ak630 (which albeit is much smaller) on the 022 houbei facs. But you and i can both appreciate that with the right motivation and $$ the shit can be more than it is (though it holds impressive firepower for what it is). Just to give an example of what it could be, the Hamina class of Finland is half the size (250t) with 8 cell vls for Umkhonto ir, 4 AShM, 1 rail for depth charges, a 57mm cannon, and 2 12.7mm guns and a MASS system. A 200km range radar like TRS-3D/16ES provides excellent situational awareness. Layout and systems are everything.

Hamina class is made with carbon fiber - Azmat is made with good ol' steel : )

Hamina class is made with carbon fiber - Azmat is made with good ol' steel : )

What they are made of is not the point. The systems and layout is. The steel will keep the costs lower.

What they are made of is not the point. The systems and layout is. The steel will keep the costs lower.

It is quite a point because when you talk about Hamina class being 250 tons, with carbon fiber, that 250 tons is a lot bigger - and I mean a lot bigger than a steel made 250 ton ship. Then there are more complex issues related to engineering that make many things possible / difficult regarding various material usage. Issues of top heaviness decreases when lighter materials are used.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of giving engineering lessons... exhausted from the last few posts of having to do that.

It is quite a point because when you talk about Hamina class being 250 tons, with carbon fiber, that 250 tons is a lot bigger - and I mean a lot bigger than a steel made 250 ton ship. Then there are more complex issues related to engineering that make many things possible / difficult regarding various material usage. Issues of top heaviness decreases when lighter materials are used.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of giving engineering lessons... exhausted from the last few posts of having to do that.
Well i for one always enjoy your insight. With that said i appreciate the difference in size you can achieve using a lighter material (though the Azmat is a good 40ft longer than the Hamina despite having the same beam meaning it is definitely may have a higher propensity to roll, and i believe it actually has a taller superstructure, the point is with better systems such as kronos, you may get rid of the mast and create more deck space and improve the balance and layout to allow for additional or better weapons systems without huge changes to the manufacturing processes and overall ship design.

That being said these are all just mental gymnastics. Thanks for the indulgence.

This was in response to a comment by Bilal Khan where he shared pic of Sa'ar 72. Should have replied to it instead of posting it this way as it becomes confusing.

Exactly what I was saying. What are your thoughts of arming them with the locally developed PDMS, assuming development is successful?

Also, since ASW equipment has dramatically shrunk in size and cost, what about some basic ASW capability, since there seems to be some space in the rear? These two upgrades would dramatically increase the capability of the ship.

1598692868257.png

I wish they add FL 3000 short range air defense
And decent radar to make them truely useful

Back
Top Bottom