What's new

PNS Azmat Class - Fast Attack Missile Craft | Updates & Discussions.

1653079845969.png

PNS Haibat design has been changed, it is bigger and better than Azmat class

- Tonnage has been increased from 560 to 673 Tons
- Anti-submarine Rockets have been added
- MR-36 B Radar has been added (azmat didn't had that)
- 6x30mm Rapid-fire weapon has been added (instead of 1x23mm)
- New ESM and Chaff launcher will enhance survivability
Does it have the ASESLAN STOP 25mm gun?

Also will all the other Azmat class FAC be upgraded to this standard?

Why Pakistan not inductiong more of these Azmat class they are cheap if we are building then I'm KSEW and they are pretty fast too to out run any agressor
Need further working by MTC and a ship redesigned to tonnage of 850-870 tonnes, in second step to 1200-1300 tonnes ship in second stage till we move on to our own corvette/frigate/destroyer and aircraft carrier design in steps
Pakistan should have at least 10 FAC’s with the purpose of some being to level Indian naval bases during war and destroy Mumbai port
Pakistan must build its newer ships around these large missiles like Harbah, smaller missiles would be insufficient against larger Indian vessels.

Last edited:
When they say Haibat has anti-sub rockets, im assuming they mean rocket propelled depth charges like the RDC-32? Pictures of the Azmat also appear to have some type of multi-tube launchers behind the AK-630. SO do all the Azmats have anti-sub "rockets" or only the Haibat?

Any indication a follow on design is planned, to replace or supplement the pre-Azmat FACs in the PN fleet (air they are still active). If so, any indication the design would be modified to make it slightly longer and fit a small 11 cell FL-3000N launcher ahead of the Rib station? At the very least, it would allow FAC commanders to have some modest dedicated air defense if one FL-3000N ship operated along side a standard Azmat Class FAC.

If I remember correctly the Azmat class FAC cost approx. $50 Million, so for only relatively slightly more they can be made more survivable and be able to independently protect small surface task forces or act as scouts for large surface groups, such as when protecting a SSBK submarine bastion along the coast.

Also, the addition of a modest towed sonar array, could make it not only good in littoral ASW but anti-mine warfare, while the extra length could allow for space to launch and recover small but potent UAVs like the scan eagle, providing organic aerial ISR to the ship and its task force.

An integrated mast is also becoming standard in many export options such as the Gowind Corvette in the MENA area (similar to what the UAE is selling to Angola) . Integrating a small mast similar in design to the aft mast from the Type 054B could make it not only in line with competitors but reduce various signature profiles of the ship.

Something similar to the Greek Super Vita class.

Last edited:
Any indication a follow on design is planned, to replace or supplement the pre-Azmat FACs in the PN fleet (air they are still active). If so, any indication the design would be modified to make it slightly longer and fit a small 11 cell FL-3000N launcher ahead of the Rib station? At the very least, it would allow FAC commanders to have some modest dedicated air defense if one FL-3000N ship operated along side a standard Azmat Class FAC.
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) you alluded to a follow on fac previously, any details?

If I remember correctly the Azmat class FAC cost approx. $50 Million, so for only relatively slightly more they can be made more survivable and be able to independently protect small surface task forces or act as scouts for large surface groups, such as when protecting a SSBK submarine bastion along the coast.

Also, the addition of a modest towed sonar array, could make it not only good in littoral ASW but anti-mine warfare, while the extra length could allow for space to launch and recover small but potent UAVs like the scan eagle, providing organic aerial ISR to the ship and its task force.

An integrated mast is also becoming standard in many export options such as the Gowind Corvette in the MENA area (similar to what the UAE is selling to Angola) . Integrating a small mast similar in design to the aft mast from the Type 054B could make it not only in line with competitors but reduce various signature profiles of the ship.

Something similar to the Greek Super Vita class.

Would be great, if we see Azmat II with Stealth design, point defense missile system like RIM or HHQ-10, SSMs etc. Something like below:

IMO, PN needs numbers too. Large fleet of light corvettes with decent capability can act as good deterance. Such ships are ideal to make a bigger fleet as they are cheaper and could be built relatively faster.

I would definitely love, if we had larger fleet of larger ships but realistically speaking our economy and our production pace and capability do not allow this. Larger ships can pack more equipment, weapons and blue water capabilities, more endurance, range etc. But unfortunately our pocket size cannot afford massive fleet of large platforms. So we can fill up numbers from smaller but smarter stealth corvettes.

Two parallel production lines for surface combatants, one for Jinnah frigates (which will obviously be limited units and will each taking lot of time) . Second one for Azmat-II (a 1K ton corvette)

Would be great, if we see Azmat II with Stealth design, point defense missile system like RIM or HHQ-10, SSMs etc. Something like below:

IMO, PN needs numbers too. Large fleet of light corvettes with decent capability can act as good deterance. Such ships are ideal to make a bigger fleet as they are cheaper and could be built relatively faster.

I would definitely love, if we had larger fleet of larger ships but realistically speaking our economy and our production pace and capability do not allow this. Larger ships can pack more equipment, weapons and blue water capabilities, more endurance, range etc. But unfortunately our pocket size cannot afford massive fleet of large platforms. So we can fill up numbers from smaller but smarter stealth corvettes.

Two parallel production lines for surface combatants, one for Jinnah frigates (which will obviously be limited units and will each taking lot of time) . Second one for Azmat-II (a 1K ton corvette)

This ship is 1250 tons. A bit too big, and really in the corvette size. The Azmat is approx. 500 tons. The super vita is 670 tons. The FAC don’t need helicopter capabilities, nor a full 76 mm main gun, but they need to be fast and as stealthy as possible (within the budget).

The PN already has an OPV from Damen if I remember correctly for $60 million for the hull and $15-30 million to equip the ship.

But if it can build a fleet of slight heavier Azmat with a few more features (30-40 mm main gun, FL-3000N, 3D GaN AESA radar, towed sonar array, scan eagle system, integrated mast) all under 750 tons, it could be built in bulk to patrol with large ships through out the EEZ and even do provide the large ships with large numbers of AShCM distributed over the battle space. So these upgraded Asmara would have to cost within $50 million for the hull and all the equipment.

Last edited:
This ship is 1250 tons. A bit too big, and really in the corvette size. The Azmat is approx. 500 tons. The super vita is 670 tons. The FAC don’t need helicopter capabilities, nor a full 76 mm main gun, but they need to be fast and as stealthy as possible (within the budget).

The PN already has an OPV from Damen if I remember correctly for $60 million for the hull and $15-30 million to equip the ship.

But if it can build a fleet of slight heavier Azmat with a few more features (30-40 mm main gun, FL-3000N, 3D GaN AESA radar, towed sonar array, scan eagle system, integrated mast) all under 750 tons, it could be built in bulk to patrol with large ships through out the EEZ and even do provide the large ships with large numbers of AShCM distributed over the battle space. So these upgraded Asmara would have to cost within $50 million for the hull and all the equipment.

Yep, I agree to most of your points but differ on the size of the ship. Basically we are talking on assumptions here. We really don't know if PN would even pursue Azmats- II program. PN is building patrol boats already. 500 ton and less ships are basically for patrolling the coast. They cannot effectively be the part of fleet of larger ships, as these smaller ships cannot effectively perform in rough seas, crew can get sea sickness as ship is not stable, fuel is limited and so endurance.

Yes, we can pack goodies on it but it will remain a coastal platform. Secondly all the goodies (weapons and sensors) have to be smaller & less powerful for such a small sized ship. So that's why I was of the view that size of any new missile guided warship should be atleast 1K ton, something thats fills the gap between 500 ton Azmat and 2300 Ton Yarmooks. Warships of atleast the size and capabilities to tag along with bigger ships in the fleet. It should be a multi-mission platform and accommodates relatively powerful weapons, sensors & radars.

Yep, I agree to most of your points but differ on the size of the ship. Basically we are talking on assumptions here. We really don't know if PN would even pursue Azmats- II program. PN is building patrol boats already. 500 ton and less ships are basically for patrolling the coast. They cannot effectively be the part of fleet of larger ships, as these smaller ships cannot effectively perform in rough seas, crew can get sea sickness as ship is not stable, fuel is limited and so endurance.

Yes, we can pack goodies on it but it will remain a coastal platform. Secondly all the goodies (weapons and sensors) have to be smaller & less powerful for such a small sized ship. So that's why I was of the view that size of any new missile guided warship should be atleast 1K ton, something thats fills the gap between 500 ton Azmat and 2300 Ton Yarmooks. Warships of atleast the size and capabilities to tag along with bigger ships in the fleet. It should be a multi-mission platform and accommodates relatively powerful weapons, sensors & radars.
im 99% sure Yarmook comes in at even less than 15m in sensors. They seem to have gone very very barebones. Phalanx was from Tariqs so technically free or however you want to look at it, the radars are crappy budget Chinese stuff, weirdly it has a RIBAT suite, on top of that CURRENTLY no SSM but they are fitting Harbah. The real cost will come via Yarmook batch 2 but that is actually a relatively high end ship.

IMO the biggest f up was the lack of tri-services adoption of the CAMM-ER. Like i actually think it might be the stupidest example of Pakistani procurement i have ever seen? All three branches are/have procured a SAM of the same category but completely different systems lol.

PN- CAMM-ER
PA- HQ-16
PAF- Some weird Chinese missile mated to Spada hybrid system lol

Tri services adoption would have meant significant leverage to push MBDA to set up a local prod line to fulfill our orders. It would have also meant leverage on MBDA to modify CAMM-ER to our requirements. Poland just requested a variant of CAMM, it's an extended-range variant called CAMM-MR. We could have literally JV'ed with MBDA IT to extend CAMM-ER range, using it to form all three layers of AD lol.

CAMM-SR
CAMM-ER
CAMM-LR

And before someone says it would be incompatible with our existing infrastructure, let me tell you the best part... MBDA-IT says CAMM-ER is compatible with ANY 3D Radar lol

Last edited:
im 99% sure Yarmook comes in at even less than 15m in sensors. They seem to have gone very very barebones. Phalanx was from Tariqs so technically free or however you want to look at it, the radars are crappy budget Chinese stuff, weirdly it has a RIBAT suite, on top of that CURRENTLY no SSM but they are fitting Harbah. The real cost will come via Yarmook batch 2 but that is actually a relatively high end ship.

IMO the biggest f up was the lack of tri-services adoption of the CAMM-ER. Like i actually think it might be the stupidest example of Pakistani procurement i have ever seen? All three branches are/have procured a SAM of the same category but completely different systems lol.

PN- CAMM-ER
PA- HQ-16
PAF- Some weird Chinese missile mated to Spada hybrid system lol

Tri services adoption would have meant significant leverage to push MBDA to set up a local prod line to fulfill our orders. It would have also meant leverage on MBDA to modify CAMM-ER to our requirements. Poland just requested a variant of CAMM, it's an extended-range variant called CAMM-MR. We could have literally JV'ed with MBDA IT to extend CAMM-ER range, using it to form all three layers of AD lol.

CAMM-SR
CAMM-ER
CAMM-LR

And before someone says it would be incompatible with our existing infrastructure, let me tell you the best part... MBDA-IT says CAMM-ER is compatible with ANY 3D Radar lol
Not to mention that Pakistan already operates Spada 2000 so CAMM-ER would be perfect successor. I think the issue is that army, airforce and navy are their own kingdoms rather than being subservient to the defense ministry. One ruler could have helped to streamline such procurements from a cost effectiveness perspective.

Back
Top Bottom