What's new

Picture of Lt. Col. Haroon Islam, Shaheed.

I know much has been written and commented about the operation but upon hearing that the terrorist were able to use the same minaret to kill SSG personnel that was originally “cleared” by them actually made me cringe. It should have been manned throughout the operation as it presented the hostel as a shooting gallery, whether or not the SSG suspected the underground tunnel is a waste of breath and time. From the past experience the military planners should have known better about these rats that excel at underground holes and tunnels.
The same place could have been even given to regular troops to man it as an observation if the SSG couldn’t spare men to stand idly in that place.

I am sorry I don’t want to make it another Lal Masjid operation gone bad or worse, but just because you mentioned the lack of vest I just remembered something that has bothered me since that day to present time.

Our special forces not only need full vests but also night vision equipment and all latest tactical gear including distraction & detection equipment to outsmart and out outmanoeuvre the terrorists. I am sure the nation that can build JF17 and break the atom can also develop the humble night vision sights for the special forces.

Haroon-ul-Islam.jpg

Birth name Haroon-nul-Islam
Nickname Son of Lahore
Place of birth Lahore, Punjab provice
Place of death Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory (ICL)
Allegiance Pakistan
Service/branch Pakistan Army
Years of service 1988-2007
Rank Lieutenant Colonel
Unit Sindh Regiment
Special Service Group (SSG)
Commands held
7th Commando Zarrar Battalion
Battles/wars Siachen Conflict
Indo-Pakistani War of 1999
War in North-West Pakistan
Operation Silence
Awards Hilal-e-Shujaat (2009)
Chief of Army Staff Commendation Medal

Lieutenant Colonel Haroon Islam was a colonel in the Pakistan Army's Special Service Group (also known as Black Storks) who was killed during Operation Silence. He was a commanding officer of the Operation Silence while commanding the 7th Commando Battalion. He was killed in a fierce fighting which took place inside the Red Mosque Complex while leading a small team of SSG members. The joint team of Special Services Group and Army Rangers successfully took over the complex. On March 23, 2008, he was posthumously awarded the second high civilian award, Hilal-e-Shujaat (Crescent of Bravery) by the President of Pakistan.

Haroon was born into a military family. His father himself was a SSGN officer who had also participated in Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. His younger brother is an inspector in FIA while another brother, Major Ehtisham-ul-Islam, is an active Army Officer. He joined and gained commission in the 3rd Battalion of the Sindh Regiment of Pakistan Army in 1988. He is a graduate of Command and Staff College, Quetta in 1993 and joined Pakistan Army's elite special forces branch SSG (Special Service Group) in 1993. He had a successful military career and according to some military sources a soldier of his calibre was bound to be a General. In 1998, his unit was deployed in Kargil, and had participated in Kargil War where he had led successful military operations.
In recognition of his services, he was awarded Chief of Army Staff Commendation Medal. During his career with the SSG, he commanded the elite Zarrar Company (The anti-terrorist unit of the SSG).

In 2007, the conflict between Lal Masjid and the Government of Pakistan deepened, and the Government of Pakistan decided to launch a military operation against the Islamic exteremists and taliban terrorists. In July 2007, one of SSG battalion was assigned to a mission to capture and take absolute control of Red Mosque from Islamic extremists and taliban militants. To achieve this task, the Pakistan Army assigned this task to 7th Commando Zarrar Battalion of SSG led by Lt. Col. Haroon Islam and the Army Rangers's Anti-Terrorist Company (ATC) led by Major Tariq Anees. The operation, codename: Operation Silence, was launched in July 3, 2007 and the commanding officer of the mission Lt.Col. Haroon Islam was killed on the midnight of 8 July 2007 two days after having been hit by small arms fire while commanding the raid on Lal Masjid in Islamabad. The Second-in-Command Army Ranger's Major Tariq Anees was also seriously wounded. Reports indicate that he was hit while planting explosives on the outer perimeter wall of the complex. The shooter was Muhammad Maqsood, guard of Maulana Abdul Rashid Ghazi. He was killed in the retaliatory fire by the security forces.

Previously in his life, he survived a potentially fatal free fall accident when his parachute entangled with another. He not only survived the accident but became fit enough to rejoin the SSG. He was also a graduate of the prestigious Command and Staff College, Quetta. Because of his meritorious services, he had been awarded Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card.

His death has left a deep legacy in Special Serive Group. While he gained a respected place in SSG Division, on behalf of Prime minister Shaukat Aziz and the federal cabinet, a two member delegation consisting of Additional Secretary (Cabinet Division) Saeed Ahmad Khan and Joint Secretary (Cabinet Committee) Muhammad Zahid Khan visited the widow of Colonel Haroon Islam. On July 08, 2007, President and Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf, Vice Chief of Army Staff General Ahsan Saleem Hyat and a large number of other senior civil and military officers and relatives of the martyred officer had attended the Namaza-e-Janaza held at Chaklala, Pakistan. The Pakistan Army presented Guard of honour to Shaheed Lieutenant Colonel Haroon-ul-Islam. Later, his body was sent to Lahore for burial. He is buried in Military cemetery graveyard, Lahore.

Haroon-ul-Islam.jpg

Birth name Haroon-nul-Islam
Nickname Son of Lahore
Place of birth Lahore, Punjab provice
Place of death Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory (ICL)
Allegiance Pakistan
Service/branch Pakistan Army
Years of service 1988-2007
Rank Lieutenant Colonel
Unit Sindh Regiment
Special Service Group (SSG)
Commands held
7th Commando Zarrar Battalion
Battles/wars Siachen Conflict
Indo-Pakistani War of 1999
War in North-West Pakistan
Operation Silence
Awards Hilal-e-Shujaat (2009)
Chief of Army Staff Commendation Medal

Lieutenant Colonel Haroon Islam was a colonel in the Pakistan Army's Special Service Group (also known as Black Storks) who was killed during Operation Silence. He was a commanding officer of the Operation Silence while commanding the 7th Commando Battalion. He was killed in a fierce fighting which took place inside the Red Mosque Complex while leading a small team of SSG members. The joint team of Special Services Group and Army Rangers successfully took over the complex. On March 23, 2008, he was posthumously awarded the second high civilian award, Hilal-e-Shujaat (Crescent of Bravery) by the President of Pakistan.

Haroon was born into a military family. His father himself was a SSGN officer who had also participated in Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. His younger brother is an inspector in FIA while another brother, Major Ehtisham-ul-Islam, is an active Army Officer. He joined and gained commission in the 3rd Battalion of the Sindh Regiment of Pakistan Army in 1988. He is a graduate of Command and Staff College, Quetta in 1993 and joined Pakistan Army's elite special forces branch SSG (Special Service Group) in 1993. He had a successful military career and according to some military sources a soldier of his calibre was bound to be a General. In 1998, his unit was deployed in Kargil, and had participated in Kargil War where he had led successful military operations.
In recognition of his services, he was awarded Chief of Army Staff Commendation Medal. During his career with the SSG, he commanded the elite Zarrar Company (The anti-terrorist unit of the SSG).

In 2007, the conflict between Lal Masjid and the Government of Pakistan deepened, and the Government of Pakistan decided to launch a military operation against the Islamic exteremists and taliban terrorists. In July 2007, one of SSG battalion was assigned to a mission to capture and take absolute control of Red Mosque from Islamic extremists and taliban militants. To achieve this task, the Pakistan Army assigned this task to 7th Commando Zarrar Battalion of SSG led by Lt. Col. Haroon Islam and the Army Rangers's Anti-Terrorist Company (ATC) led by Major Tariq Anees. The operation, codename: Operation Silence, was launched in July 3, 2007 and the commanding officer of the mission Lt.Col. Haroon Islam was killed on the midnight of 8 July 2007 two days after having been hit by small arms fire while commanding the raid on Lal Masjid in Islamabad. The Second-in-Command Army Ranger's Major Tariq Anees was also seriously wounded. Reports indicate that he was hit while planting explosives on the outer perimeter wall of the complex. The shooter was Muhammad Maqsood, guard of Maulana Abdul Rashid Ghazi. He was killed in the retaliatory fire by the security forces.

Previously in his life, he survived a potentially fatal free fall accident when his parachute entangled with another. He not only survived the accident but became fit enough to rejoin the SSG. He was also a graduate of the prestigious Command and Staff College, Quetta. Because of his meritorious services, he had been awarded Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card.

His death has left a deep legacy in Special Serive Group. While he gained a respected place in SSG Division, on behalf of Prime minister Shaukat Aziz and the federal cabinet, a two member delegation consisting of Additional Secretary (Cabinet Division) Saeed Ahmad Khan and Joint Secretary (Cabinet Committee) Muhammad Zahid Khan visited the widow of Colonel Haroon Islam. On July 08, 2007, President and Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf, Vice Chief of Army Staff General Ahsan Saleem Hyat and a large number of other senior civil and military officers and relatives of the martyred officer had attended the Namaza-e-Janaza held at Chaklala, Pakistan. The Pakistan Army presented Guard of honour to Shaheed Lieutenant Colonel Haroon-ul-Islam. Later, his body was sent to Lahore for burial. He is buried in Military cemetery graveyard, Lahore.
Thanks..........
I salam my heros......
I love my heros..........

Now that's a real man. :tup:
May god bless his soul, and may he rest in peace.

My utmost respect for this Shaheed, it is because of people like him, that Pakistani citizens can live their daily lives without disturbance, it is because of him, that our national pride grows larger, it is because of people like him that we must not forget that Pakistan is always first. It is because of his legacy that we believe in heroes, that hope and courage is never lost, not when you're fighting a noble cause.

Let him serve as an inspiration and example for all of us. :)

Pakistan Zindabad! :pakistan:

These pics of martyred servicemen somehow make the loss seem personal. Being 'the enemy' I feel the loss, so I can imagine what powerful impact these pictures may have on you people.

The soldier died in the line of fire. For Pakistan.

R.I.P.

May Allah SBWT give him a great reward in Jannah and create thousandz of more pplz like him in our country and Muslim Ummah to the service of Islam and Pakistan and all the Muslim Ummah Plus all humanity....Insha-Allah

Looks like such a humble man, layed down his life for his country. I bow my head to this great man, looks to be such a wonderful human being. May God bless his soul

the guy is as hero as gereral niazi of bengal ops

Why dont you shut the f*** up, dont talk about things you dont know about. The man layed down his life for his nation, he did not at one question his orders and executed those orders to the best of his ability. The political side of this operation is something we can argue about, but him being a hero is not up for discussion because the man is a hero.

Back
Top Bottom