What's new

PHOTOS: First IAF C-17 Arrives At Indian Base

Brother, 10 of these and 6+6 (dunno about the +6, had read it somewhere but last I checked we were operating only 6, @Abingdonboy and @sancho- confirm or refute please) Hercules will boost our airlift capacity tremendously..with an eye towards the Sino Indian border where the lack of infrastructure makes it difficult to introduce fresh troops..in fact specifically for that AND IF the MTA goes through then the projected 30-40 of those by the next decade will make us easily the most capable force in Asia when it comes to air-lifting troops and logistical supplies.

Add to that these babies are coming in with performance based maintenance..as in it binds Boeing to ensure that some 85% of the C-17 fleet is always available and ready for operations. Boeing will position spares and maintenance personnel for this, drawing not just on depots in the US, but on a “virtual fleet” that includes the six other forces that operate the C-17.:yay:

SO MAKE A HAPPY FACE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THE ROI HERE WILL BE IMMENSE..BE A GOOD BANIYA! :agree:

Right now only 6 C-130Js in service, talks are on for a further 6 and that contract should be signed later this year. All 12 will be for Spec Ops use, the follow on 6 will be deployed in the East and will be tasked to operate all the way down to A&N islands, with the intial 6 being based at Hindon AFB in NCR.

There are rumors that the IAF is interested in further Hercs over and above the 12 but for utility purposes but I don't know how likely/credible this is.

Last edited by a moderator:
$600-700 millions for a single C17? Which countries were those?

That's more than the entire 2013 budget for Pak Navy!

The offer for 1 x C17 for Kuwait for example was $693 millions systemcost:

http://www.dsca.mil/PressReleases/36-b/2010/Kuwait_10-51.pdf

Brother, 10 of these and 6+6 (dunno about the +6, had read it somewhere but last I checked we were operating only 6, @Abingdonboy and @sancho- confirm or refute please)

Yes, 10 x C17s on order and 6 + 6 C130J-30.

hmm looks gud...itx a nyc cargo plane... Pak should also buy cargo planes from china... :whistle:

@Abingdonboy I dunno about the follow on acquisition after the "6+6" but the MTA carries the same payload but has lesser range than the Herc..and apparently we've projected about 40 of those as required. Can you imagine that?:cheesy:

hmm looks gud...itx a nyc cargo plane... Pak should also buy cargo planes from china... :whistle:

A Chinese cargo plane is a Chinese cargo plane. It can never match the quality or reliability of
these aircraft from a reputed manufacturer like Boeing.

Your fleet of C-130s (majority of which are second-hand) should keep PAF content for atleast
another decade.

It is said the IAF will take a call on this later this year. it depends on how the C-17 actually performs in operational IAF service. The IAF were so impressed by the C-130Js once they entered service that they initiated talks for the follow-on 6 mere months after the Hercs entered Indian service..

If the IAF likes the way the C-17s perform then there is no reason why another 10+ C-17s won't be ordered by them.

So is another batch of 6 C-130J being ordered. I have also heard that the total requirement from Special unit is of 12-14. And may be there is also a possibility of some A-400Ms in near future as well.

I know that a lot of your Indians don't trust the USA but seriously that is in the past. Most of you don't even know the depth of what is going on in the background between the USA, India, France, Japan, Australia, Israeli. Trust me what is happening at the moment is massive, and this is going to be a new super alliance. France, Japan and Germany are already helping India in the High Speed train and will be giving India massive discounts and some of the best high tech around. So I think a lot of Indians need to get over the past and start looking at the future, lucky the people who are in the know aren't like some of the people of India.

I know that a lot of your Indians don't trust the USA but seriously that is in the past. Most of you don't even know the depth of what is going on in the background between the USA, India, France, Japan, Australia, Israeli. Trust me what is happening at the moment is massive, and this is going to be a new super alliance. France, Japan and Germany are already helping India in the High Speed train and will be giving India massive discounts and some of the best high tech around. So I think a lot of Indians need to get over the past and start looking at the future, lucky the people who are in the know aren't like some of the people of India.

What "massive discounts"? I haven't seen any evidence of any nation doing India such favors in defence or infrastructure.

What "massive discounts"? I haven't seen any evidence of any nation doing India such favors in defence or infrastructure.

Back to big alliances. Mutually beneficial deals and projects are always welcome...but an alliance is about as likely to happen as me growing a second head.

One thing a baniya does very well..we don't trust..ever! :D

hope to see one in Pune soon :)

Why would the be deployed to Pune? The first 10 will be deployed to Hindon AFB in Delhi. The second lot (6-10) will most likely be deployed to a different airbase- maybe Agra, that's a guess though. I doubt the IAF would have its entire C-17 fleet at one AFB, they certainly aren't doing that with their C-130Js.

@sancho, any ideas sir?

Point taken..but seeing is believing in democracy and specially for people of India

Why would the be deployed to Pune? The first 10 will be deployed to Hindon AFB in Delhi. The second lot (6-10) will most likely be deployed to a different airbase- maybe Agra, that's a guess though. I doubt the IAF would have its entire C-17 fleet at one AFB, they certainly aren't doing that with their C-130Js.

@sancho, any ideas sir?

I dont think India needs to put all his eggs in one basket

What do you mean? With the type of planes or the airbases they deploy them at?

I mean the planes..I agree with your viewpoint..I think just having all the planes of one type in one base ..is risk prone and strategically as well not effective

Back
Top Bottom