What's new

Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems (CIWSs) -

Well the small caliber can't but the heavier caliber can pierce APCs, Tanks with ease.

The A-10s aren't called Tank busters without a reason, their 30mm Gatling gun can create havoc when unleashed on a tank or APC.

Even PAF's F-6 (now retired) was called "Flying Can Opener", and with good reason.

Even PAF's F-6 (now retired) was called "Flying Can Opener", and with good reason.

Yeah, the top side of tanks and APCs are already weak and the 20mm or 30mm guns are powerful enough to damage or destroy them.

I think F-6s had 30mm cannons, so definitely they were called the right title.

Well the small caliber can't but the heavier caliber can pierce APCs, Tanks with ease.

The A-10s aren't called Tank busters without a reason, their 30mm Gatling gun can create havoc when unleashed on a tank or APC.

Bro i wasnt talking about A-10 warthogs...Im talking about ordinary 12.7 mm bullets.And A-10s have never been used for modern tanks i doubt it can destroy a modern tank like AK or T90

My understanding was that the system was meant to counter sea skimming missiles like Exocet or it can act as anti aircraft platform.

If that happens you will be most probably sitting in your life raft watching your ship sink.

:wave:

Regards

Its a fully automated system , meaing you don't need to point it or do nothing .. just turn it on and any missiles incoming will be picked up and , hell fire of shells woudl be fired in 3-4 seconds that would nutralize that missile

Also any plane/drone that comes with in its range is also a dead duck

They're only really designed for anti-ship missiles, their range is too short to provide good air defense coverage. No plane would ever come so close to a ship that it is in the range of its' CIWS systems.

Bro i wasnt talking about A-10 warthogs...Im talking about ordinary 12.7 mm bullets.And A-10s have never been used for modern tanks i doubt it can destroy a modern tank like AK or T90

Armed with Depleted uranium or tungsten shells they could disable the most modern tank.

Yeah, the top side of tanks and APCs are already weak and the 20mm or 30mm guns are powerful enough to damage or destroy them.

I think F-6s had 30mm cannons, so definitely they were called the right title.

The F-6 and the Mirage were/are both equipped with 30mm Cannons, but as can be seen the F-6 used a bigger shell thus making it more powerful against amour.

d9618f529d3eaee942ae19b3c4a8de62.jpg

Gents,

Keep in mind that in a missile versus ship situation, as long as the missile miss the ship, even by one meter, the ship win. The defender does not need to 'destroy' the missile, just do enough damage anywhere and anyhow to the missile to create aerodynamic instability. The higher the missile speed, the more catastrophic it will be for missile due to aerodynamic instability.

They're only really designed for anti-ship missiles, their range is too short to provide good air defense coverage. No plane would ever come so close to a ship that it is in the range of its' CIWS systems.

Really?

Actual Photo of Argentine A-4 SkyHawk attacking British Ship (HMS COventry) in Falklands War
16f39b5a779de9141d985b851989ccf3.jpg

Movie (includes some of the below as well) http://www.youtube.com/v/EE-DWwPmvo...xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

Gun camera image from air attack on HMS Sir Bedivere, during the 1982 Falklands war
d12c7afc6c0d59556455552608978e72.jpg

Gun camera image from air attack on HMS Brilliant, a type 22 frigate, during the Falklands/Malvinas war.

Plus, considering land-based uses of CIWS as base protection, they might also serve to protect ships while in port or anchored within reach of land-based threats e.g. mortars. Likewise, Sea Wolf missile system is (proven!)capable of intercepting 4.5" shells. Not to mention what a CIWS could do to a small surface threat e.g. explosive laden RIBs

Last edited:
In my opinion this is only a feel good system and utter waste of money. Could easy be distracted by firring hundreds of cheap rockets preceded by the actual hunter.

Back
Top Bottom