What's new

Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems (CIWSs) -

My understanding was that the system was meant to counter sea skimming missiles like Exocet or it can act as anti aircraft platform.

However i have seen footage of a smaller version of the gun mounted on a PA helicopter involved in FATA operations.

u may be right, but the gatling gun is not a light weapon, that is why various types r mounted on the A-10 / C-130 / naval ships. they can cause a lot of destruction thats for sure.

Holy hell, it was this type of weapon i saw in the PA footage,
Those TTPs must be switching sides.

Yeah i know, that is why showed you the firepower they can have.

Now the 412s are kind of mini cobra equivalent but with more powerful role and the introduction of these Gatling guns is to make 412s role changed into a semi gunship helicopter.

check out this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think CIWS is little more than a "feel good" system on a ship, and here is why I think so. Anti-ship missiles can be launched from air or another ship. If the enemy wanted to sink a valued target like a frigate, more than one missile will be launched at the ship, and if he has the luxury of air power, he would launch them from different directions ( opposite if possible). If the anti ship missile is supersonic even better. CWIS being a point defense system will have a hard time defending the ship. The trick really is to make sure your "umbrella" around the ship of several miles is able to neutralise your threats before they become reality. CIWS is all right for a missile that gets past your protective umbrella - but that's just it. Once more than one gets past your cover, you are cooked.

Having said that it is a cool weapon. If you are ever on board when your ship fires one, it dang near rattles your brain!!

I think CIWS is little more than a "feel good" system on a ship, and here is why I think so. Anti-ship missiles can be launched from air or another ship. If the enemy wanted to sink a valued target like a frigate, more than one missile will be launched at the ship, and if he has the luxury of air power, he would launch them from different directions ( opposite if possible). If the anti ship missile is supersonic even better. CWIS being a point defense system will have a hard time defending the ship. The trick really is to make sure your "umbrella" around the ship of several miles is able to neutralise your threats before they become reality. CIWS is all right for a missile that gets past your protective umbrella - but that's just it. Once more than one gets past your cover, you are cooked.

Having said that it is a cool weapon. If you are ever on board when your ship fires one, it dang near rattles your brain!!

That is why for better defensive measures against multiple AShM attack or supersonic cruise missile attack, new class of ships are coming with multiple CIWS in the form of either multiple Gatling gun style CIWS, the Russian Kashan CIWS system, the main turret gun coming with limited ability to counter AShMs, the RAM system to fire multiple missiles at one target or multiple ones, even the short range SAM systems with ability to engage AShMs, thus newer ships are changing from single CIWS to multiple to counter the multiple threats you mentioned.

Armoured Piercing Incendiary Bullets,

Very effective against APCs etc.

They already have, the bigger ones have them in them.

Checkout the A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft and its 20mm Gatling gun, its a tank annihilator.

Even the CIWS have API rounds in them if the user wishes to have them.

But for the small ones as seen in the video, don't think so it will be of any use, as the small caliber would restrict its firepower.

Bro taimikhan & windjammar sir thanks for sharing this... can you share PA 412 heli video or pics with this gun...

Regards,
Sunny

Bro taimikhan & windjammar sir thanks for sharing this... can you share PA 412 heli video or pics with this gun...

Regards,
Sunny

Well right now i don't think they are available as they have recently been introduced and just a few times for just a few seconds have been seen on the news channels while reporting some news of that area, but hope in a few days time, pictures would start surfacing.

If ur talking about armoured cars yes...If ur talking about armoured personell carriers no ur wrong....Apibs cant pierce it.

Well the small caliber can't but the heavier caliber can pierce APCs, Tanks with ease.

The A-10s aren't called Tank busters without a reason, their 30mm Gatling gun can create havoc when unleashed on a tank or APC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom