Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems (CIWSs) -

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Reference
FMS: Pakistan Pursuing an Important Weapons Package
(As we know the P3 orions are already oked for Pakistan)

Are we equiping the frigates we get with these last line of defence ?

The 054 Type Chinese war ships already come with its own CIWs last line of defence weapons -
The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has notified the US Congress of three possible foreign military sales (FMS) to Pakistan comprising P-3C aircraft, TOW anti-tank missiles and Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems (CIWSs). The estimated total value could be as high as $1.2 billion if all options are exercised.

The government of Pakistan has requested the sale of eight P-3C Orion aircraft with T56 engines as well as associated equipment and services. The current proposal includes communications equipment, training devices, medical services, support and test equipment, engineering, technical services, supply support, operation and maintenance training, documentation, spare and repair parts, etc. If all options are exercised the P-3C and related items purchase could be valued at $970 million.

Pakistan will use the P-3C aircraft to gain the capability to restrict the littoral movement of terrorists and drug smugglers along Pakistan's southern border, while ensuring Pakistan's border integrity. In addition to border surveillance, these P-3C aircraft will act as a maritime patrol asset forming the basis of an airborne maritime anti-ship and anti-submarine capability.

The government of Pakistan also requested a possible foreign military sale of six Phalanx close-in weapon systems, upgrade of six Phalanx Block 0 to Block 1B, spare and repair parts, modification kits, supply and support equipment, personnel training and training equipment, publications, and technical data. Pakistan will use the Phalanx weapon systems to protect its Navy's ships against inbound aircraft, missiles and surface craft. Moreover, Block 1B is requested because Block 0 configuration is no longer supportable by the US Navy logistics system. The total cost of this sale, including options, is $155 million.

Finally, the government of Pakistan requested a sale of 2,000 TOW 2A missiles, 14 TOW 2A fly-to-buy missiles, spare and repair parts, technical support, support equipment, personnel training, technical data and publications. The estimated cost is $82 million with options.

Raytheon will be the prime contractor for TOW 2A and Phalanx close-in weapon systems. Lockheed-Martin will be the primer contractor for the P-3C aircraft potential FMS. There areT no known offset agreements associated to these three Foreign Military Sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, of course!! also called the "abandon ship" weapon. If you are down to CIWS...you are already in deep, deep, doodo.

They are cool gadgets though...

trust me it feels so good when they test fire it ;) nearly all our ships have it , even the chinese ones obviously they have a Chinese version of this , but trust me every sailor dream's for it to not be used in his term as that mean , as Texas jhon said they in DEEP sh** .

Well I saw the CIWS system on TV show , and it was very very useful weapon to fight incoming missile treats that were above sea level -

Obviously its not the laser systems that are being tested in US but its still a very potent defensive unit to have to provide protections to frigates/destroyers - from inbound missiles -

the phalanx CIWS is fitted on the type 21 frigates of PN. 2ea / frigate. the F-22P are equipped with a chinese type 730B CIWS which is 'as good' as any western type.

In total PN has 12 Phalanx CIWS. 6 are on board ex brit frigates which may be retrieved after the frigate is phased out in coming years. could all 12 be eventually be fitted on land?

In total PN has 12 Phalanx CIWS. 6 are on board ex brit frigates which may be retrieved after the frigate is phased out in coming years. could all 12 be eventually be fitted on land?

land-based phalanx is different set-up!- they can be transferred to the F-22Ps or the OHPs or future frigates / destroyers after upgrade.

land-based phalanx is different set-up!- they can be transferred to the F-22Ps or the OHPs or future frigates / destroyers after upgrade.

Well I ain't confirm, but i believe Phalanx won't be compatible with the F-22Ps due to the different combat systems on board the F-22P which is of Chinese origin.

But personally i believe we should look into the Chinese LD-2000 land based CIWS based on Type-730 CIWS, as i read somewhere it can engage PGMs, Cruise missiles. So critical installations should get such systems as it can reduce the damage to great extend from cruise missiles and PGMs, if the system is capable enough to engage as per its specifications.

PN installations would be highly vulnerable to Indian attacks from sea based platforms, if such system works and is installed, it will give great protection to PN's installations and its human resource.

trust me it feels so good when they test fire it ;) nearly all our ships have it , even the chinese ones obviously they have a Chinese version of this , but trust me every sailor dream's for it to not be used in his term as that mean , as Texas jhon said they in DEEP sh** .

My understanding was that the system was meant to counter sea skimming missiles like Exocet or it can act as anti aircraft platform.

However i have seen footage of a smaller version of the gun mounted on a PA helicopter involved in FATA operations.

My understanding was that the system was meant to counter sea skimming missiles like Exocet or it can act as anti aircraft platform.

However i have seen footage of a smaller version of the gun mounted on a PA helicopter involved in FATA operations.

These are the new Gatling guns having been installed on the 412s in place of the MG3s, thus now 412s can also work as an armed helicopter and can engage militants from a safe distance, and if gunners equipped with night vision devices and 412s get FLIR systems, these helicopters can engage militants day and night and it will bring a devastation on the targets.

These are the new Gatling guns having been installed on the 412s in place of the MG3s, thus now 412s can also work as an armed helicopter and can engage militants from a safe distance, and if gunners equipped with night vision devices and 412s get FLIR systems, these helicopters can engage militants day and night and it will bring a devastation on the targets.

Sir, is that the same mini gun the Israelis have mounted on their APCs. ?
It can without question wreck havoc.

Gatling gun suffers in terms of range disadvantages! i believe that we currently require an HQ-7 system for a CIWS! a missile system should be more affective in terms of range! you don't want an enemy missile reach to close anyway....and when it comes to a cruise missile of the brahmos league you definitely want to destroy it as further away as u possibly can.....

Sir, is that the same mini gun the Israelis have mounted on their APCs. ?
It can without question wreck havoc.

This is what they are gonna be like once used. Just see the devastation they cause and the awesome firepower they rain on their targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gatling gun suffers in terms of range disadvantages! i believe that we currently require an HQ-7 system for a CIWS! a missile system should be more affective in terms of range! you don't want an enemy missile reach to close anyway....and when it comes to a cruise missile of the brahmos league you definitely want to destroy it as further away as u possibly can.....

A HQ-7 Is not a CIWS. It is a SAM system. The CIWS is a close-in weapon system point defense system with the role of destroying anti-ship missiles.

The Phalanx CIWS is like most American systems, too complicated and too expensive. Russia makes better, simpler and cheaper CIWS systems. What's more, China produces these Russian CIWS domestically.

Look at the Russian Kashtan CIWS and compare it to the phalanx.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom