What's new

Permanent UNSC Seat for India

Status
Not open for further replies.
India, a nuclear power, has the world's second largest population and is the world's largest liberal democracy. It is also the world's twelfth largest economy and fourth largest in terms of purchasing power parity. Currently, India maintains the world's third largest armed force. India is one of the largest contributor of troops to UN-mandated peace-keeping missions.

India's bid is unequivocally backed by permanent members France, Russia and the United Kingdom. The Chinese government in Beijing has recently advocated the candidacy. Though several countries like Brazil, Australia, and African Union support India's candidature, popular belief expressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is that certain "Major Powers are hindering India's Candidacy

Though initially opposed by the Chinese due to geo-political reasons (China being an ally of India's arch-rival Pakistan and the country also having fought a brief war with India in 1962), recent history has turned China's official support for India's candidature from negative to neutral to positive, in correlation with stronger economic ties. On 11 April 2005 China announced it would support India's bid for a permanent seat, but without a veto. Although the U.S. officially does not back India's bid — for various reasons, some of which remain decidedly unclear — it has privately been eager to work with India and to support the nation However Indo-American relations are currently improving from the Cold War levels of de facto derision, marked by an alliance of mutuality, recently, in March 2006, by the US President George W. Bush making a visit to India, signing a civilian nuclear power sharing programme.

Taking into account its huge population and growing economic and political clout, India is a strong contender to clinch a permanent seat. Another factor which bolsters India's candidature is the fact it has participated in several of its activities, including UN operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Cyprus, Cambodia, Yemen, Somalia, Rwanda , Namibia, Sinai peninsula, among others.

copied and pasted

^^ Perhaps, but this is without veto power.

It's not much different.

I think India would have veto power eventually, but it would be silly if it can have veto power, and be breaking UN reolutions against it at the same time too.

You calling India an Intl Outlaw lol! And what is the US???? I mean They Veto every single Resolution brought up against Israel or for the Palestenians!!! They Invaded numerous countries, and yet you fail to acknowledge that they are not in the wrong. I mean they might now have any Resolutions against them, have u thought why??? Ponder Over.... A Lot!

The fact is the US doesnt have any resolutions against it. It is not a convicted criminal, even if it is a criminal, if you know what I mean.

India is a convicted outlaw. Accepting a criminal to be a judge at your bench is silly for any institution.

^^ Perhaps, but this is without veto power.

It's not much different.

I think India would have veto power eventually, but it would be silly if it can have veto power, and be breaking UN reolutions against it at the same time too.
Life is Unfair, But sometimes, we just have to accept it. For Eg The Nuke deal had lots of Powerful Critics, but it went thru, I am sure, the UNSC seat will come thru Eventually. US is not convicted because its got the VETO! Either they should Disband the UNSC or Let India join! lol

Life is Unfair, But sometimes, we just have to accept it. For Eg The Nuke deal had lots of Powerful Critics, but it went thru, I am sure, the UNSC seat will come thru Eventually.

The UN resolutions that India is in violation of currently will hamper any effort to become a permanant member.

Accepting India would reduce the credibility of the institution given that it is in violation of many UN resolutions.

The UN resolutions that India is in violation of currently will hamper any effort to become a permanant member.

Accepting India would reduce the credibility of the institution given that it is in violation of many UN resolutions.
Same was the case for the Nuke Deal, People harped on Non signatory of NPT, CTBT etc, Same case for the UNSC.

But I feel Kashmir can be resolved if Peace is truly given a chance.

Same was the case for the Nuke Deal, People harped on Non signatory of NPT, CTBT etc, Same case for the UNSC.

But I feel Kashmir can be resolved if Peace is truly given a chance.

Ummm, no.

The nuke deal was nothing like the UNSC resolutions. There was no UNSC resolution against the nuke deal.

There are against India's actions on Kashmir.

Ummm, no.

The nuke deal was nothing like the UNSC resolutions. There was no UNSC resolution against the nuke deal.

There are against India's actions on Kashmir.
I believe the US will push it through. I wouldnt mind India voting once more against Iran if it gets a UNSC seat lol! National Interest comes first :)

this can be a trump card my friend! ^^^^^^

PS: Doesnt India have More Muslims than Pakistan?? I mean I thought India had the 2nd largest muslim population, guess I was wrong!

This is all conpiracies at the moment. It has nothing to do with the Muslim factor. Everyone knows how Muslims are treated in India.

The only thing India will have eventually is perhaps a broad economy.. This is not certain however.

Brazil will also have a big economy, or it's as likely to have. And Brazil has no resolutions against it.

If i were the UN, I'd choose Brazil, simply because they are not breaking any of my own resolutions.

there is no secret whom the russians would support,infact russia is the one going all out to get india in anyhow,with 2 of the BRIC members already in, it would push for the other two,india and brasil.if this comes through then us and its allies will face a stiff challenge in the world forum from the bric members.

pakistan should also look at this positively its not just india its a representation for the whole of south asian population who will get a bigger say .the only point pakistan was concerned was the veto power and the new members would be a non -veto member of the unsc.

thanks

This is all conpiracies at the moment. It has nothing to do with the Muslim factor. Everyone knows how Muslims are treated in India.

The only thing India will have eventually is perhaps a broad economy.. This is not certain however.

Brazil will also have a big economy, or it's as likely to have. And Brazil has no resolutions against it.

If i were the UN, I'd choose Brazil, simply because they are not breaking any of my own resolutions.
come on, its your prejudice that says that Muslims are being killed off and Muslims hate India! Yes I admit there are problems, but none like you make it out to be! Its doesnt matter what you think or Not, The Question is, What leverage does Pakistan enjoy over India in this situation if India becomes a UNSC member! can pakistan stop it??? Overtly or covertly.

there is no secret whom the russians would support,infact russia is the one going all out to get india in anyhow,with 2 of the BRIC members already in, it would push for the other two,india and brasil.if this comes through then us and its allies will face a stiff challenge in the world forum from the bric members.

pakistan should also look at this positively its not just india its a representation for the whole of south asian population who will get a bigger say .the only point pakistan was concerned was the veto power and the new members would be a non -veto member of the unsc.

thanks
Your Posts are always meticulously thought our Sir and makes us all think. This is how Pakistan should look at stuff I feel!

come on, its your prejudice that says that Muslims are being killed off and Muslims hate India! Yes I admit there are problems, but none like you make it out to be! Its doesnt matter what you think or Not, The Question is, What leverage does Pakistan enjoy over India in this situation if India becomes a UNSC member! can pakistan stop it??? Overtly or covertly.

I don't mind if India becomes a member.

I do think it would ruin the credibility of the UN though to allow an outlaw of my institution's laws to be a senior member of judges.

It would be like inviting a criminal to judge a robbery case.

My point about the Muslim thing was, you cannot be expected to be taken seriously when you say India will be some sort of representative of the Muslims on the UN. Everyone knows, and western states have said directly, that Indian Muslims are discrminated against.

I'm telling you neutrally, and as unbiasedly as possible. I'd not have India on my council, I would have Brazil though.

I don't mind if India becomes a member.

I do think it would ruin the credibility of the UN though to allow an outlaw of my institution's laws to be a senior member of judges.

It would be like inviting a criminal to judge a robbery case.

My point about the Muslim thing was, you cannot be expected to be taken seriously when you say India will be some sort of representative of the Muslims on the UN. Everyone knows, and western states have said directly, that Indian Muslims are discrminated against.

I'm telling you neutrally, and as unbiasedly as possible. I'd not have India on my council, I would have Brazil though.
Fine, Your Reservations are valid from your POV and I am no one to try and change ur mind. But We all know you are not being neutral when you want Brazil to become the member. In all Probability it will be India and Brazil both becoming a member or it will be India and South Africa.

i dont think getting the elusive permanent seat would be easy...thers too much lobbying to be done...the americans...the common american as in....right now is trying to understand india's role in the world....they are trying to analyze whether we still are the pseudo-enemy they thought we were or whether we can side with them and act the way saudis act....against china...and convincing the chinese is not going to be easy...
in the end i guess we'd have a choice b/w kashmir and the UNSC seat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom