What's new

Permanent UNSC Seat for India

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmeddsid

Reaction score
US requested to back India for permanent seat in the UN

New Delhi: The US should support India's bid for a permanent UN Security Council seat and work actively for the expansion of the top multilateral body, former American diplomat Karl Inderfurth said today.

"It is time for the US to publicly support India's bid for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council and to work actively with India and others to accomplish the goal of expansion of the UNSC," he said addressing a session on 'Future Direction of US Relations with India and the Region'.
Inderfurth, who served as Assistant Secretary of State in the Bill Clinton administration, said the US should take these steps keeping in view India's thriving democracy, its billion plus population, its expanding economy and its longstanding contributions to UN peacekeeping.

He made it clear that the strengthening of the Indo-US ties should not be a part of the China containment strategy and the American focus should be on promoting a US-India-China cooperative triangle.

"China containment policy would be a great mistake. The US has to engage both the countries on their merit," Inderfurth said after releasing a book 'America's Role in Asia' brought out by The Asia Foundation.

He suggested that one way to further a closer and cooperative relationship between the US, India and China would be to make these two South Asian powers formal members of an expanded G-8.

India and the US should cooperate in their efforts to stabilise Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal in their endeavour for a prosperous, stable and democratic South Asia.

Source: PTI

US requested to back India for permanent seat in the UN - National News ? News ? MSN India - News

India has ignored UN resolutions on Kashmir and commit massive human rights violation in Kashmir. Why should they be given a seat in UN when they go against everything what UN stands for.

The Day I see India as a Permanent UNSC member will be one of the Happiest Days of My Life! The Nuclear Deal and Now this, I am sure the US will oblige :)

What does UN stand for? UNable???? Come on, Many countries have violated UN resolutions, Tell this to Israel, compared to them, India is an Angel in the UN! :D lol

What does UN stand for? UNable???? Come on, Many countries have violated UN resolutions, Tell this to Israel, compared to them, India is an Angel in the UN! :D lol
Yeah, but they are not asking for permanent seat.It's a fact that India will not get seat unless India resolves Kashmir issue and China may veto any such resolution.

The US congressman is just daft.

People are more inclined to throw India out for ignoring its obligations under the UN than accept it as a permanent member.

Funny how the UN becomes relevant to Indians all of a sudden.

Yeah, but they are not asking for permanent seat.It's a fact that India will not get seat unless India resolves Kashmir issue and China may veto any such resolution.
Same was thought Of China that It will not allow the NSG clearance! My Friend, When USA is involved, then China is just a phone call away :)

RoadRunner, Its not about the Relevance of the UN, It can be Indias Crowning Achievement! Other than Pakistan, no one wants to throw India out of the UN!

Same was thought Of China that It will not allow the NSG clearance! My Friend, When USA is involved, then China is just a phone call away :)

RoadRunner, Its not about the Relevance of the UN, It can be Indias Crowning Achievement! Other than Pakistan, no one wants to throw India out of the UN!

I don't mind if India joins.

But the UN resolutions which India has ignored won't make very good reading for the UN should India become a permanent member.

It would be like accepting a criminal as a judge. I don't think it will happen.

Not with the outstanding UN resolutions.

Of course, should you decide to comply with international law, and follow the Un resolutions against you on Kashmir, then India would be a definite choice.

Being a part of the UN seat isnt just sitting a in lazy boy leather chair but calls for effort one nation to coup with peace and support of the international community ! furthermore, if India is getting a seat or will get a seat then they should come to the table with Pakistan on kashmir & other urgent issues and to support peace in the region!

I don't mind if India joins.

But the UN resolutions which India has ignored won't make very good reading for the UN should India become a permanent member.

It would be like accepting a criminal as a judge. I don't think it will happen.

Not with the outstanding UN resolutions.
And you mean to say the existing veto powers are Saints??? I mean for chrisssakes USA invaded Iraq and still its membership was not revoked :D

India is a better choice any day anyhow for the UNSC seat!

UNSC gets very little done anyway due to the veto ability, one more member will not help this.

What has India done to deserve a seat anyway?

And you mean to say the existing veto powers are Saints??? I mean for chrisssakes USA invaded Iraq and still its membership was not revoked :D

India is a better choice any day anyhow for the UNSC seat!

The US does not have any resolutions against it afaik.

I know Israel does. Accepting Israel as a permananet member would be silly.

Just as accepting India would be silly, given that it is an international outlaw that is currently not following its obligations under the institution it wants to join.

UNSC gets very little done anyway due to the veto ability, one more member will not help this.

What has India done to deserve a seat anyway?
Country with the 2nd Biggest Population, A Big Player in Global Politics, A Responsible Nuclear power, A Huge Player in Asia!

The US does not have any resolutions against it afaik.

I know Israel does. Accepting Israel as a permananet member would be silly.

Just as accepting India would be silly, given that it is an international outlaw that is currently not following its obligations under the institution it wants to join.
You calling India an Intl Outlaw lol! And what is the US???? I mean They Veto every single Resolution brought up against Israel or for the Palestenians!!! They Invaded numerous countries, and yet you fail to acknowledge that they are not in the wrong. I mean they might now have any Resolutions against them, have u thought why??? Ponder Over.... A Lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom