What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
1692145892566.png

Yes it is. There are a lot of videos on Salman Ali’s channel if you want to see, plus articles in TFB.

Oh yes, I’ve been down that rabbit hole all night. If the reliability issues are sorted then I am all up for indigenisation of all our small arms. Plus, a modded out CW39 carbine, if introduced, would looks sexy af imho.

IMO the PA has a new rifle in mind. It just hasn't signed onto a full-scale program yet because, as you said, shortage of funds and other priorities. However, I think it'll happen and, as @Zarvan has wished, will probably involve Turkish OEMs. Of the suppliers available, the Turkish ones are probably able to offer the best bang for the buck.

That said, I don't think POF will manufacture these new rifles.

With our shortage of funds, it's probably untenable to buy licensing and facilities off-the-shelf; this time around, we'll likely see offset-based deals wherein the foreign OEMs set up shop in Pakistan, source Pakistani labor and inputs, and supply to the armed forces directly.

This might be the best course of action for us in the long run. It removes the armed forces from the defence industry business and, potentially, makes it easier for the Pakistani private sector to get involved (by eliminating the red tape and black tape). It's time for the military to become leaner in the sense that it should focus specifically on fighting and, in turn, leave the industry side to the private sector or at least independently-run state-owned enterprises.

TLDR: With an offset policy, the Army wouldn't need to pay for the local production line. Rather, it says it'll buy 1M rifles over 10 years, and sets a sourcing policy, e.g., built with 100% Pakistani inputs. In response, the OEMs invest in Pakistan (to set up their production lines and follow the sourcing policy) and, basically, supply the Army. In the end, the OEM owns the licensing, IP, etc, but through their Pakistani subsidiary. That Pakistani subsidiary might even start re-exporting, thereby giving the OEM additional revenue, supporting Pakistani jobs, and helping us gain foreign currency (via corporate and income taxes).
Heavy on the private sector involvement, majority of our defence industry should be privatised - it would be far more effective like this with better funds & resources management, better quality control and innovation. Far more efficient.

State-owned industries are generally way less efficient because they know they'll always have a steady gov income supporting them and backing them, so they don't have as much incentive to do better - they almost become rent-seeking with little innovation and quality improvements. Especially in Pakistan's case.

Even from videos weapon had good control while firing , it shoots very straight

Even from videos weapon had good control while firing , it shoots very straight
Very simply looking weapon. What does it bring to the table that we have to replace our current inventory?

Oh yes, I’ve been down that rabbit hole all night. If the reliability issues are sorted then I am all up for indigenisation of all our small arms. Plus, a modded out CW39 carbine, if introduced, would looks sexy af imho.
PN also received a large batch of modded M4s recently with Sights, grips and lasers so PN will likely be buying modded CW39s with sights and grips at the very least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom