What's new

Pakistan's 'secret' war in Baluchistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble that the likes of Brahamdagh bugti and harbiyar murree (i wonder from where they came up with these funny names).....have travelled to europe but havent travelled to other pats of pakistan...
if they had travelled inside pakistan they had seen that its not only baluchistan deprived..its the whole country...a population of 180 milliln and a shed load of internal militancy (thanks to taliban and BLA)...does not help in finances and examples of poverty and neglect are strewn across pakistan not just baluchistan.

Since the last 60+ years our protests have been crushed, military operations n poverty... what do we have now? a home with development comparable to kenya or something? Kalat n rest of baluchistan became a part of Pak... our autonomy etc was not given... 1 unit scheme,disparity etc...thts our history... as for mangla n tarbele...electricity there is free to the locals...nothin is charged.... Give baluchistan its share of rights n those tht were never given during the past years.... as for bla n those picking guns they dnt represent tht entire province do they?

As for murree... go learn how to spell it first........... here is a hint: its "marri"... And im proud to be one.

The Baloch people have been neglected by the previous regimes, no doubt about it. The Baloch people have grievances with the central government. But does that mean most of them want independence? No. It's only a tiny subset of people, & there are even a lot of intra-tribal (& inter-tribal) clashes. Right now, the reason why gas pipelines are being blown up in Balochistan is because the Baloch people don't get any, whereas most of the supply goes to other parts of the country. The Baloch people feel used, their land used by non-Baloch people. It is hard to bring development into a region where insurgents controlled by the sardars blow all sources of development up (even though the central & provincial governments haven't tried hard enough), but this is what is needed to be done to gain the support of the Baloch people and get them out of the stranglehold of the Baloch nationalist/separatists. The Baloch provincial government is just as bad as the Baloch nationalist terrorists, & how they opposed the Reko Diq project was absolutely despicable.

ISLAMABAD: The Balochistan media has been sandwiched between the military and militants and has gone into a phase of dead silence, reveals a report bringing into sharp focus the unattended agony of journalists in the troubled province.

The report declares it ‘the most dangerous region of the most dangerous country for practising journalism’. A report compiled by Intermedia, an outcome of the assessment mission to Balochistan, paints the plight of journalists working in the conflict-hit province where repression is present in its worst form.

The reporters there have to either kill the news or be killed in a province which claimed 14 dead bodies of journalists in four years, said the report titled ‘Press in Stress -- Media Under Threat in Balochistan’.

“There are a lot of stories in our pocket that we can’t report,” a journalist told his TV head office while attending the fact-finding mission that compiled the report on the media situation. The separatists target-kill the defying journalists and the FC mark as unforgivable ‘enemies’ those who publish militants’ claims without taking the official version, no matter whether getting the official word takes them days inwait, frustrating the media houses hungry for ‘breaking news’.

The Frontier Constabulary (FC) has been alleged of monitoring newspaper offices critical to the force’s activities as well as vetting the information and the civilian government blocks advertisement of those papers give space to the non-state actors.

The journalists operating from north-eastern districts -- Dera Bugti, Kohlu, Naseerabad, Jaafarabad, Jhal Magsi, Bolan and Barkhan -- face threats for reporting on military operations against the Bugti/Marri resistance, underground separatist groups and human rights violation such as the IDP crisis and target killings.

Compared to Dera Bugti and Kohlu, no-go areas for media, the districts of Naseerabad and Jaffarabad are where local media is subject to a feudal system. The journalists in Naseerabad when reported the case of women buried alive a couple of years back, were threatened and felt relieved only after reconciliation with the feudal brokered through the chief of Magsi tribe having provincial governor, Zulfiqar Magsi.

In the Pushtan belt comprising Pishin, Loralai, Qilla Abdullah, Qillah Saifullah, Mussakhel and Zhob where activities of Taliban and al-Qaeda are under media focus, the threat to journalists emanate from reporting on cross-border movement of Taliban, conflicting international interests, activities of shadowy groups and security agencies, smuggling and Nato supplies.

In the coastal belt comprising Gwader, Panjgur, Awaran and districts in the centre such as Khuzdar, the threat flows from conflict between the military and separatist groups. In Khuzdar, more journalists have been killed than elsewhere in Balochistan, according to the report.

What journalists do have to contend on a daily basis, said the Intermedia report, is the choice to be killed or carry the report. Narrating their ordeal, the report said, a photojournalist who took picture in 2010 of the Baloch leader Shahzain Bugti being dragged by men-in-uniform, was questioned by FC intelligence unit, for releasing this picture. “If I say civilians have been killed by FC in an operation aimed at militants or a blast targeting the FC, they both don’t like it,” told a journalist to Intermedia.

When the militants claim killing many FC soldiers, the journalist explained, the FC would try to downplay, saying only two or three have been killed. The militants are likewise. The TV reporters have to hold back stories of attacks on FC convoys until the casualties are confirmed by the FC. “I called the FC six times since morning but can’t get through,” said a journalist about an attack on an FC convoy in Turbat.

“It is difficult to report because the FC will contradict the figures even if the hospital has confirmed it. My channel is asking for the report but I don’t have the official version. If I report the figures in contradiction of the official figure, the FC will question me. If I don’t, my organisation wants to know why?” he said.

The journalists has to wrestle with the decision whether or not to report when Balochistan High Court issued arrest warrants for Pervez Musharraf for killing Nawab Akbar Bugti. In case of reporting it, we sensed trouble from the army and in case of otherwise, the Baloch insurgents would dub us as the army’s sympathizers, said a journalist.

A BBC Urdu journalist, Ayub Tareen, was questioned by the FC for interviewing Baloch leader Dr Allah Nazar in hiding. Journalism may be the fourth pillar of the state elsewhere but in Balochistan, said Ayub. “If the poor do something wrong, the media drags him through muck but the powerful and influential gets away with murder. You want to talk to the Hazaras (community) who are being killed, the Baloch IDPs, the relatives of missing persons but you cannot,” he told the Intermedia.

Any FC operation or insurgents attack in Dera Bugti or Kohlu cannot be verified as journalists have already fled the area, living with other IDPs and the local administration does not know what’s going on, said Ayub who also faced threats from a Baloch organisation if the group does not receive proper coverage.

Sometimes rival insurgent groups, say Baloch Liberation Army and Baloch Republican Army, not only coerce for more space, they also vie for blocking the coverage of the rival militant group.

Again, the agenda setting of media groups expose their journalists to varied kind of threats as for international media is concerned. The Voice of America (VOA) focuses more on Talibanisation especially in Quetta, Ayub explained, and don’t follow the Balochistan story all that much but the BBC concentrate on the latter. The VOA correspondent, Naseer Kakar, has relocated in US after receiving threats from Taliban.

The local media finds itself caught between the devil and deep sea in form of threats and ban on advertisement. A newspaper, for instance, has anti-establishment stance, nevertheless its widely respected editor, Anwar Sajidi, was named in the hit list of militant organization, Baloch Tehreek-e-Nifaz-e-Aman. The newspaper’s correspondent in Gwader has received threats for being ‘pro-Pakistan’ and simultaneously its Turbat correspondent Manzoor Baloch has been dubbed as ‘spy of the intelligence agencies’.

The paper has been ranked in top-10 in the list furnished by the information ministry, nevertheless it receives no advertisement from the government.

The FC is not behind in employing intimidating tactics. In September 2011, the paramilitary force stopped the newspaper from distribution on the Balochistan University campus, terming the paper anti-government, also posting FC soldier outside the newspaper’s office for ‘the security of the newspaper’ without being requested so.

In 2010, the FC men monitored the two other dailies, whose management went to Chief Minister for help. Another pro-Balochistan and anti-establishment paper, closed its publication in protest against FC monitoring.

Reporters in Chaman can’t report on incursions from across the border due to problems with sovereignty, activities of Taliban or attacks on Nato supplies without checking with the FC. “The security agencies want control over information,” said a journalist Noor Zaman. “If they see a ticker on a channel about Chaman, they call the reporter to ask why he hasn’t called them first (for version).”

In districts of Jaffarabad and Naseerabad, there are thousands of IDPs from Dera Bugti and Kohlu, journalists among them, still living there despite the military’s claim that they have returned. Bomb blasts; attack on government installations happen routinely, said the report. The journalists cannot report the attacks such as August 14, 2011 attacks on railway tracks and other installations in Jaffarabad, Dera Bugti, Sibi and Bolan without ‘invoking the wrath of authorities even when they are under pressure from insurgents to report them.’

Narrating an incident of rocket-hit residential area in Dera Bugti, Shahid Ali Abro, a TV cameraman, said the relatives brought dead bodies at national highway and he was filming the protest when armed men approached him. They said film the children under the shroud. Shahid said he couldn’t do that because the channels would not carry the images. “But I was forced to film them. The man said he would watch the news for the footage and if it wasn’t there, I should know that he would come for me,” Shahid recounted. As he couldn’t comply with the armed men’s order, he was called at a place to face three face-covered men who broke his nose and fingers.

The journalists in Balochistan feel that the mainstream media is not sympathetic to the province and its issues. “The national media doesn’t give proper coverage to Balochistan news,” said Saleem Shahid, President Quetta Press Club. “If the prime minister visits, they give blow by blow details of the event. Balochistan (they consider) is not a province but a tehsil. A man trapped in a lift in Karachi makes bigger splash than three men target-killed in Balochistan.”

In absence of proper coverage of national media, there is a big audience for international media such as BBC and VOA in Balochistan, notes the report. With the international media like BBC’s focus on human rights, people look to them for their voices to be heard that also serve the interest of pro-independence groups that want to gain international sympathy.

As for the banned sectarian organisations are concerned, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi’s statement inciting hatreds against Shias calling them infidel, was forced to be carried in papers, however, the media was directed in October 2011 not to print any propaganda by banned outfits.

The directive not only put to test the media facing death threats in case the statements are not published. At least in one case that of Akhtar Mirza, the 46-year old news editor, the decision created so much stress that in internal meeting with staff after the order the editor clearly betrayed signs of stress telling the staff, “one of us will have to go given the circumstances”. He died of heart attack soon after the directive. “The media in Quetta and his colleagues insist that it was due to the immense stress due to pressure on him from all sides,” said the report.

Akhtar Mirza was part of a committee that journalists formed to minimize the incident of media becoming a pawn in multi-faceted conflict.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=12782&Cat=13

ISLAMABAD: Despite all the hue and cry and claims of hundreds of missing persons, a report released by the United Nations about cases of enforced disappearances say that only ninety-eight (98) persons are missing in Pakistan.

A list of cases of enforced disappearances prepared by the UN working group, a copy of which is available with this agency, has named ninety-eight countries where a total of 53239 people have been reported missing. The highest number of 16545 missing persons has been reported in Iraq, followed by 12230 in Sri Lanka.

It said that there were 431 missing persons in India, 532 in Iran, 672 in Nepal, ten in Saudi Arabia and ninety-eight in Pakistan. Of the 98 missing persons in Pakistan, 18 have been recovered and investigations were in progress against 12 other persons.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/161950-un-says-only-98-missing-pakistanis-its-record.html#post2641850

Since the last 60+ years our protests have been crushed, military operations n poverty... what do we have now? a home with development comparable to kenya or something? Kalat n rest of baluchistan became a part of Pak... our autonomy etc was not given... 1 unit scheme,disparity etc...thts our history... as for mangla n tarbele...electricity there is free to the locals...nothin is charged.... Give baluchistan its share of rights n those tht were never given during the past years.... as for bla n those picking guns they dnt represent tht entire province do they?

As for murree... go learn how to spell it first........... here is a hint: its "marri"... And im proud to be one.

Our Baloch brothers must receive their rightful place in our nation. And PN is the living embodiment of the warrior spirit of the great Baloch Pakistanis.

Yar i am sure now,you haven't travelled within Pakistan extensively...You are saying things that the propaganda media tells us but aren't actually happening...

Tell you what i have a house in KhalaBat township (The township of people who left their lands for construction of the dam) and friends living all around the Terbela dam in the surrounding villages....
Come visit me sometime,i will show you the whole area..The reality is different from what you think..

People who are behind the bill in Congress are trying to get support from patriotic and peaceful Christian community in Pakistan. For this purpose they have engaged a Pakistani Christian.

I am sure that our fellow Pakistanis of Christian faith will denounce this individual's actions.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH CHURCH AND OTHER CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATIONS IN PAKISTANIS? I AM SURE THAT THEY WILL DENOUNCE THIS ACT.

Christian leader becomes Intellectual Patron of Baloch group

Washington DC: February 27, 2012. (Ahmar Mustikhan) A reknowned human rights activist and an international voice for the minorities in Pakistan, Dr. Nazir S. Bhatti, have consented to become an Intellectual Patron of a premier Baloch freedom group in Washington DC.

The American Friends of Balochistan announced Sunday with "joy and pride" that Dr. Bhatti will be guiding the Baloch group that believes in secular democracy in Balochistan.

Dr. Bhatti continuously receives hate mails and death threats from Pakistanis but has steadfastly supported the Balochistan struggle for self-determination.[/B]

Pakistan Christian Post

Yar i am sure now,you haven't travelled within Pakistan extensively...You are saying things that the propaganda media tells us but aren't actually happening...

Tell you what i have a house in KhalaBat township (The township of people who left their lands for construction of the dam) and friends living all around the Terbela dam in the surrounding villages....
Come visit me sometime,i will show you the whole area..The reality is different from what you think..

My father is an army officer and im sure ive seen more of Pakistan than you have... i have lived in punjab,Sindh,KPK and even spent sometime in G/B.

As for your house ... im sure compensation was paid to you...if you had to give it up... as for mangla.. i know for a fact tht electricity is free for the locals there.

My father is an army officer and im sure ive seen more of Pakistan than you have... i have lived in punjab,Sindh,KPK and even spent sometime in G/B.

As for your house ... im sure compensation was paid to you...if you had to give it up... as for mangla.. i know for a fact tht electricity is free for the locals there.

ok.i dont know about mangla....i used to go to Mian Muhammad Bakhs shrine near mangla..but didnt know if electrivity was free there.

Yes compensation was paid for the lands people gave up for
dam...But likewise i am sure compensation was paid to the land owners of gas fields in baluchistan....
land must have been bought at much higher price to set up gas fields...

while people of Hazara (us) were content on receiving money for their lands...and later did not put a never ending demand on revenues of the dam electricity..
many people were not propperly compensated and it has happened to many that alternate lands were offered but never given or given in a far off place in another province...but I dont see people of hazara running ape like Bugtis in the mountains..blowing up power lines....and no not every village around terbela has electricity.there are many
the sardars of your province were greedy..They not only got money for their land but continued claiming gas revenue as if the gas was their private property....

you cannot compare the amount of people displaced for a dam to some acres of land given up by baluch peolle for a few gas fields...a dam displaces tens of thousands and needs hundreds of square miles of land......
Thousands of people are not displaced for gas drilling...
so there you go..our sacrifice was wctual..and individuals contributed to the dam by agreeing to displace and accepting alternatives.....
nothing of this sort happened for sui gas.

so who contributed more..and who is moaning?
the answer is clear
so there is the difference between yours and ours...

Although i am speaking what i think..and whatever i write is my personal opinion..i dont represent anybody...just myself.
i wont mind if all gas is given to baluchistan and supply cut off to the rest of the country.
this may initiate gas exploration in the rest of the country and there will be many more oil/gasfields discovered across the country...and all provinces may even get self reliance in oil and gas...
but of course that will need sympethatic and creative thinking from people in government..
Next time vote for the right people..so that these issues are resolved once and for all and pakistan can make actual progress.

So ur tellin me tht you got houses and the electricity... and the tribal chiefs got the royality and the common guy? lost his land.. still no gass,no hospital,school or road = equal? nice equation.

Come around my village sometimes buddy.... you wont last a few days.

So ur tellin me tht you got houses and the electricity... and the tribal chiefs got the royality and the common guy? lost his land.. still no gass,no hospital,school or road = equal? nice equation.

Come around my village sometimes buddy.... you wont last a few days.

yeah right....is that an invitation? ;)
i might drop by some day (depending on the menu on offer that is).
long time ago i visited khuzdar....That was in 1992.
i remember a bit....
next place i would like to visit is hingol national park.....if its still safe to be there?

The New Great Game In Baluchistan
The people of Balochistan have the right to self-determination and their own sovereignty, according to the United States House of Representatives Committee on foreign affairs.

The reasoning behind this article is to question the motives of any Western power to support the Baloch independence cause. Not for a moment am I going to excuse the heinous crimes committed by the Pakistani military in Balochistan.

The Americans do not care for the freedom of the Baloch people. If the chair of the committee, Representative Dana Rohrabacher, really cared about freedom he would have spoken up for many other people around the world a long time ago.

WikiLeaks released cables on Rohrabacher's trip to Honduras where Rohrabacher promoted business after a military coup had disposed the democratically elected president and installed Porfirio Lobo, a candidate backed by the military and the oligarchy. A quick look at Rohrabacher's campaign funding tells you that he is a good friend of big business and therefore it should come as no surprise that Balochistan is rich in natural gas, coal and uranium. But it is not just big business backers that drive Rohrabacher; he is also ideologically driven. The Republican representative voted against supporting democratic institutions in Pakistan but voted for cooperating with India as a nuclear power. An ardent believer of free market economics, he is also opposed to the expansion of the influence of China and has spoken vociferously against communism. His views on Iran are very clear. Rohrabacher supports a potential strike by Israel against Iran -- it is worth noting that the Balochistan region also crosses over into Iran.

Another 'expert' witness, Ralph Peters, a retired US Lieutenant Colonel, was eager to give his biased opinion. As far back as 2006, he had drawn up maps of Pakistan with Balochistan as a separate state. In 2008 in an article for the New York Post he wrote that, "Pakistan suffers from a flawed founding vision: Islam has not been enough to unite Sindhis and Punjabis, Baluchis and Pashtuns." He is an expert for Fox News, that bastion of 'fair and balanced' reporting, and on there he ranted that Jullian Assange should be assassinated for being a 'cyber-terrorist'. Can Peter's opinions really be taken seriously and can we blame Pakistanis for thinking that he has an ulterior motive here?

Dr. Hossein Bor, an American Baloch, sounded like a colonial servant as he pimped himself out to Rohrabacher. Attempting to appeal to the US for support for the independence of Balochistan he cited the rich natural resources of Balochistan, the Iranian oil pipeline, Afghan Taliban and the Gwadar port. It seems that some in the Baloch freedom movement are happy to be used as US proxies to achieve their freedom. When asked about the Baloch people and the West he replied, "they have welcomed US support with open arms." He also stated that if Balochistan became independent that they would provide the US with military bases in Gwadar and went on to say that Balochistan "is the most strategically important piece of land in the world." Dr. Bor spoke more like an American hawk than an expert witness, and also warned of the dangers of China's naval base in Gwadar. He was there to sell the cause of Baloch nationalism to the US and did it through scaremongering about China and talking to the hawks about US strategic interests.

Freedom for the Baloch people is not the primary concern for the US, but countering China is. The Chinese government has invested heavily in the Gwadar port in Balochistan. The port city will be connected to the Karakoram highway, which connects Pakistan and China, and that China has been helping Pakistan to widen. The Gwadar port gives China access to the Arabian Sea, strategically close to the Gulf through which 30% of the world's oil is shipped. Having China so close to the Strait of Hormuz and access to the shortest route to Central Asia states via Afghanistan makes the US nervous. In a U.S. Department of Defence report the port was referred to as being part of the 'String of Pearls' initiative, which sees China strategically placing itself in locations to ensure its energy security. Where do the Balochs and Pakistanis fit into all of this? They are but pawns in the new Great Game being played out by the US.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/162113-new-great-game.html

BBC News - Waking up to the war in Balochistan

Attitudes are hardening in Pakistan's restive Balochistan province against the government, but the state is now belatedly reaching out to the Baloch separatists. Writer Ahmed Rashid considers whether after years of civil war, talks could end the bloodshed.

It took an obscure United States congressman holding a controversial hearing in Washington on the civil war in Balochistan to awaken the conscience of the Pakistani government, military and public.

For years the civil war in Balochistan has either been forgotten by most Pakistanis or depicted as the forces of law and order battling Baloch tribesmen, who are described as "Indian agents".

Just a few weeks ago, Interior Minister Rehman Malik even hinted that Israel and the US were supporting the Baloch separatists, while the army had totally ''Indianised'' the Baloch problem.

On 23 February, Mr Malik did an about-face, saying that the government was withdrawing all cases against Baloch leaders living in exile and asking them to return home for talks. ''I will receive them in person,'' he told journalists.

Don't expect Baloch leaders to turn the other cheek at Mr Malik's sudden shift - the Baloch have seen too many such U-turns before.

Brahamdagh Bugti, head of the separatist Baloch Republican Party and living in exile in Geneva, remains sceptical.

His grandfather Sardar Akbar Bugti, the head of the Bugti tribe, was killed in 2006 on the orders of former President Pervez Musharraf in a massive aerial bombardment, while his sister Zamur Domki and her 12-year old daughter were gunned down in Karachi in broad daylight just in late January - allegedly by government agents.

He told journalists last week: ''I have seen this all before… I am not an optimist.'' Nevertheless, for the first time in years his face appeared on every Pakistani TV channel as he and other Baloch leaders gave interviews.
Broken promises

The civil war has left thousands dead - including non-Baloch settlers killed by Baloch militants - and has gone on for the past nine years, but it hardly made the news in Pakistan, let alone abroad.

The fifth Baloch insurgency against the Pakistani state began in 2003 with small guerrilla attacks by autonomy-seeking Baloch groups, who over the years have become increasingly militant and separatist in ideology.
A Pakistani mourns the death of a relative at a blast site in Quetta on 27 October 2010 Blasts and ethnic violence have become a way of life in Balochistan province

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan reported that in 2011 there were 107 new cases of enforced disappearances. The so called ''missing'' are picked up, tortured, killed and their bodies left by the roadside in what the Baloch call ''a kill and dump policy'' by state intelligence agencies and the paramilitary Frontier Corps. Thousands of people have disappeared in the past nine years.

In a recent article for Dawn newspaper which generated intense public interest, novelist and satirist Mohammed Hanif described one incident in which a boy was picked up by government agents and went missing for two years before his body turned up.

US Congressman Dana Rohrabacher earned the wrath of the Pakistani establishment when he held a hearing on Balochistan and then introduced a non-binding resolution in Congress that Balochistan should be declared an independent territory.

The government is now calling for an All Parties Conference to discuss Baloch grievances, but Baloch leaders have already said they will not attend.

Community leaders like Brahamdagh Bugti and Harbayar Marri, a leader of the Balochistan Liberation Army who is in exile in London, have seen two major efforts by Pakistani politicians to talk to them fail in the past nine years - largely due to the army's intransigence.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

There has been a hardening of the Baloch attitude and a deepening of the revolt”

The first was under former President Musharraf when some of his federal ministers tried to hold talks with the Marri and Bugti leaders. They were thwarted by Gen Musharraf who was determined to deal with the issue militarily, taunting the Baloch with quips such as ''this time you won't even know what hit you".

The second was when the present Pakistan People's Party government was elected to power in 2008 and President Asif Ali Zardari asked for a ceasefire in Balochistan for six months - which surprisingly was adhered to - and promised negotiations with Baloch leaders. However, the army was against any talks and the government's will to carry them out melted away.
Writing on the wall

Since then, there has been a hardening of the Baloch attitude and a widening and deepening of the revolt. Baloch leaders now openly talk of accepting aid from India and the US if it was available and separating from Pakistan to form a new country - which is anathema to most Pakistanis.

None of the earlier four revolts have received such support from all sections of Baloch society, including the educated middle class. The Baloch diaspora in Europe and the US is especially active.
Tribal elders in New Kahan Baloch nationalism is on the rise

Although Balochistan is the largest province in Pakistan, the Baloch number only five million people and are outnumbered in their own province by Pashtun tribesmen and other non-Baloch settlers like the Shia Hazaras who arrived in the 19th Century. What also irks the Baloch is that Pakistan allows the Afghan Taliban - who are Pashtun - to run their war against US forces in Afghanistan from Quetta, the provincial capital. The Taliban leadership council is called the Quetta Shura. Pakistan's authorities deny the claims.

Until now, there has been a kind of ethnic peace between the Baloch and Pakistani and Afghan Pashtuns living in Balochistan, but that could end in a bloodbath. Some right-wing American politicians like Dana Rohrabacher talk of an alliance between Baloch separatists and Afghanistan's anti-Taliban former Northern Alliance.

Such an alliance would jointly take on the Taliban. That is dangerous talk because it could end up with the partitioning of both Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The Pakistan army needs to see the writing on the wall and swiftly urge the government to open genuine talks and offer real concessions to the Baloch. The Baloch say they are beyond accepting any compromise with the state, but no Pakistani entity has ever tried talking to them.

Ahmed Rashid's book, Taliban, was updated and reissued recently on the 10th anniversary of its publication. His latest book is Descent into Chaos - The US and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia.

Situation in Balochistan better than other provinces: Malik

Federal interior minister Rehman Malik Wednesday said that the situation in Balochistan was better than other provinces of Pakistan.

Talking to media at National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) Office, Malik said that the Chief Minister Balochistan Aslam Raesani had sent a list of 930 missing persons and after investigation only 48 were found missing. “People are launching propaganda on the issue of missing persons of Balochistan,” he added.

Interior minister said that he would send two officials to the camp of missing persons in Islamabad who would match the figures with the list in interior ministry.

Malik said that talks were going on with the disgruntled Baloch people adding that no talks would be held with people those wanted to dismember Pakistan.

Malik further said that evidences were gathered regarding the Kohistan incident and place where the militants came was identified.

Situation in Balochistan better than other provinces: Malik | The Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom