What's new

Pakistan's mistrust of iodised salt

Not Sure

BANNED
Reaction score
Pakistan's mistrust of iodised salt is aggravating a deeper health crisis

idd-pakistan.jpg

These four brothers work at a salt factory in Pakistan. Two of them suffer from cretinism, caused by iodine deficiency.

At a bustling general store in Lahore, people ask a lot of questions about one seemingly innocuous product: table salt. If it contains iodine, about 40% of his customers spurn it, according to proprietor Muhammad Waqas Vicky. They won't allow their families to consume what they call "mixed salt", believing it causes infertility. "The majority among them are businessmen and religious people," said Vicky.

Anti-polio campaigns here have been the target of deadly attacks that stemmed from similar myths, but officials blame the iodine-related infertility rumours, at least in part, for a massive health crisis.

How did this happen? Some experts see little mystery in the evolution of what has become one of Pakistan's more bizarre and destructive conspiracy theories. Seventeen years ago, well-meaning government officials launched a maternal health initiative in the face of ever-rising birthrates. To this day, people remember a slide show on official Pakistan television – at the time the nation's only channel – that pushed prenatal care and awareness of vital nutrients. The penultimate slide promoted one element in particular: iodine.

The final slide, officials recall, credited the initiative to the government's department of primary health and family planning. "There was a communication mistake," Tariq Aziz, an expert on iodised salt production, said of the 1995 broadcast. "People thought this was purely a family planning initiative."

After the public conflated iodine with government-enforced birth control, rumours took off about an international scheme to limit Muslim population growth through iodised salt. The falsehoods became especially potent in a society that prizes large families and where contraception use is low.

"Once I bought a packet of salt along with other household items and my wife refused to use it," said Muhammad Zafar, a labourer from a village 100km from Lahore. "Even some of my friends have told me stories that the doctors have advised them to not use iodised salt if they want to avoid infertility."

Mosque leaders also continue to argue that iodine is a health scourge, or at very the least a western plot. "I do not use iodine salt, and I advise my relatives and friends not to use it as well," said one Lahore cleric, Maulana Muhammad Asim. "I do not have any evidence to prove that it is causing infertility. But my question is: why are the US and the west so worried about the health of Pakistanis that they are forcing us to use iodine? … They have an agenda."

In Pakistan, some non-governmental public health organisations have resorted to what amounts to stealth iodisation, providing subsidies to salt factory owners who add the micronutrient during production. The salt often reaches markets unpackaged, to be vended by weight.

"It is sold in bulk, unbranded – it is open-bag salt, and consumers will not know if contains it iodine," said Muhammad Yasin of the Micronutrient Initiative. "They get the health benefit even if they don't know it."

Additional reporting by Babar Dogar
In Pakistan, some non-governmental public health organisations have resorted to what amounts to stealth iodisation, providing subsidies to salt factory owners who add the micronutrient during production. The salt often reaches markets unpackaged, to be vended by weight.

"It is sold in bulk, unbranded – it is open-bag salt
, and consumers will not know if contains it iodine," said Muhammad Yasin of the Micronutrient Initiative. "They get the health benefit even if they don't know it."

^^ Wonder who came up wit this idea? Unless the salt is refined to greater levels, and then packaged in moisture-proof continuous film packages, the iodine is bound to evaporate very rapidly.

i think you guys shld use
tata-salt-1kg.jpg

tata-salt-desh-ka-namak.jpg

May be this will also help in reducing mistrust between two nation and also if u r lucky u may win a gold coin :D

The core of the problem is not a public awareness TV campaign launched 17 years ago but inbreed jahalat fueled by Mullahism!
The parallels between Mullahism and rising issues is a naked truth for all to see!

The core of the problem is not a public awareness TV campaign launched 17 years ago but inbreed jahalat fueled by Mullahism!
The parallels between Mullahism and rising issues is a naked truth for all to see!

That part I marked in red, is the most disturbing one. Anything the west does, is construed satanic. That way all things progressive that are done in the west can be termed haraam in Pakistan by those rag-tag Mullahs.

are campaigns started to remove those misconceptions?
i mean, bring actors, cricketers to promote the importance of iodised salt.

By not eating iodized salts common ppl will be like idiots which is better for hardliner to control them.this reminds me of a movie. conspiracy about flourinated water.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - IMDb

these ppl even believe OPV can make them sterile . WTF . who can make them believe. they only believe in one thing west does . guns and grenades . they have full faith in western society made AK-47.

Why doesn't someone go and shoot these idiots ?

I mean one can save a country by eliminating such fools.

In a country where Conspiracy theories are read more than Science Books, the enemy doesn't have to do anything.

Darwin is right. let these idiots dont consume iodized salt and let them suffer cretinism and hypothyroidism. No one will marry them and they will remain indirectly sterile.

Hmm ...if they dont want iodine then their body mechanism tries to capture as much as iodine possible as a result thyroid will be enlarged and they look ugly ...ugly or not but their body seems to be more logical then their mind

Ahahahahahahaha.........bwahahahaha !! I'm putting up this stuff on our office board hahahahahahahahahaha !!!

:rofl: Great job guys ! Keep the evil Ameri-khan salt away :tup:

Little by little...step by step.

^^ Wonder who came up wit this idea? Unless the salt is refined to greater levels, and then packaged in moisture-proof continuous film packages, the iodine is bound to evaporate very rapidly.

You have to understand that this is a last ditch measure. Most folks in NGO's are not chemistry majors. Their intention is good, but there is no cure without removing the rot first.

@Not Sure, Iodine is added as a salt. Not in its elemental state. No sublimation issues.

It is not about other countries but simply our love for conspiracy theories. We are not alone in this.

I believe people do not worry about this as much now. That was so many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom