What's new

Pakistan’s identity crisis!

So you need a masters degree in conflict-resolution to come up with this journalistic masterpiece?

Give me a f**king break, its a 15 year olds homework. I could write a more thought provoking article in under 30 minutes.

Is that the reason, that you still remain unpublished anywhere, nor are you even likely to be.....
So now give us a break....instead, and go some other place and get a breath of "fresh air". :)

1) Pakistan’s failure to make sense of itself is because of a deep confusion over its Islamic/Muslim identity.

What I find strange is Indian criticism towards the fact that Pakistanis connect with the Islamic culture which has been much more recent and much more dominant than the influence of these long-gone Hindu empires you want us to remember. Yes, I know a long time ago there was a Hindu empire located where I lived. I also know that it was gone a long time ago.

They should take pride in defeating great Alexander

Funny. Daily, I've seen people here mocked for taking pride in the achievements of other Muslims by people like you. We can't identify with other people on the basis of religion, right? But we should try to identify with people who lived on this same spot of land centuries ago, because err....

So you need a masters degree in conflict-resolution to come up with this journalistic masterpiece?

Give me a f**king break, its a 15 year olds homework. I could write a more thought provoking article in under 30 minutes.
Please write something!
This is interesting. My question is, does Iranian see themsevles as Iranians first or Muslims first? How about Pakistan?
Pakistanis are scattered. People here identity themselves from their sect, caste and religion. Only 20% or maximum 25% people will call themselves Pakistani and will work for Pakistan because some of them have power to do so and some of them have no other choice.
Iranians see themselves as Iranian first.

Pakistanis are the opposite (slave mindset). In fact if you call yourself a Pakistani first you get humiliation, Musharraf for instance, or Dr. Abdus Salam.
You are in DemoCrazy. This happens to you when you are on right path. But we are wrong. We follow pre-made path rather than creating our own path. We are in disaster because of us and no US, India or Afghanistan!! This is the truth!!

What I find strange is Indian criticism towards the fact that Pakistanis connect with the Islamic culture which has been much more recent and much more dominant than the influence of these long-gone Hindu empires you want us to remember. Yes, I know a long time ago there was a Hindu empire located where I lived. I also know that it was gone a long time ago.
What happens when you cut the roots of a tree???
IT FALLS!!! ... with a very loud thud.
Just remember that!!!

I hope you got the drift of it. :coffee:

Old proverbs don't prove anything.
I am not trying to prove anything.... I dont have to. I am not a Pakistani but I can see where you're going wrong.
The issue here is not comprehension or denial, the issue is you want to disassociate yourself with something which has kept Pakistan going for so long.

"Pakistan's Identity Crisis" has become a cliche. But the problem is not Pakistanis not knowing themselves, it is them not knowing the world. Pakistan's have one of the most distorted worldview among nations of the world. If one is to pick any senior official from any organization in Pakistan and have a chat with them about the world affairs, they will soon realize that even the most important people in the state machinery of Pakistan doesnt really know the world the way it is.
I have always found on internet, TV, print or other media where pakistanis discuss about themselves that they face with several dichotomies like -
1. whether pakistanis are native arabs or indians;
2. does the history before Mohd Bin Qasim belong to pakistanis or Indians;
3. whether jinnah preached purely an islamic state or a secular state
4. whether pakistan should implement sharia a la saudi arabia / Taliban or accommodate non muslims;
5. whether urdu (which is a language indian gangetic belt) or the languages of the soil;
6. whether pakistan is an ideology or an outcome of someone's personal ambitions.
They keep discussing them and instead of trying to get to the truth they often take a stand and keep justifying it.

Is that the reason, that you still remain unpublished anywhere, nor are you even likely to be.....
So now give us a break....instead, and go some other place and get a breath of "fresh air". :)
I think tat guy was write... this female, if she really has a masters in conflict resolution then I expected a much better write up. Other than the title nothing else would keep the reader interested in the article.
Not that I can write well but that I had high hopes after I read her intro.

Old proverbs don't prove anything.

Oh NO.They infact do!
They simply show how unthinking people can commit the same old mistakes again and again. That is why proverbs are coined..... in the hope that the matter can be explained in simple and concise terms and people will finally understand.
However the evidence indicates that some people are unable to comprehend anything even after that....... :D

I think tat guy was write... this female, if she really has a masters in conflict resolution then I expected a much better write up. Other than the title nothing else would keep the reader interested in the article.
Not that I can write well but that I had high hopes after I read her intro.

Oh well.... does that make the writer of the comment on the OP a better writer then? :azn:
Do not get confused now.

I am not trying to prove anything.... I dont have to. I am not a Pakistani but I can see where you're going wrong.

And where is it? What is so wrong about placing greater importance on more recent and influential rulers than long-lost empires? Don't give me some vague statement about how it magically benefits or strengthens me.

Oh NO.They infact do!
They simply show how unthinking people can commit the same old mistakes again and again. That is why proverbs are coined..... in the hope that the matter can be explained in simple and concise terms and people will finally understand.
However the evidence indicates that some people are unable to comprehend anything even after that....... :D

That proverb isn't even applicable in this sense. It's got more to do with family then a distant empire from several centuries ago.

Oh well.... does that make the writer of the comment on the OP a better writer then? :azn:
Do not get confused now.
If it was about that user menace2society then I think like every reader he has the freedom to criticize an article. The article was crap , 300-400 words have been recycled from other articles (or so it feels).
Come on! You know it, such journos can do better.

And where is it? What is so wrong about placing greater importance on more recent and influential rulers than long-lost empires? Don't give me some vague statement about how it magically benefits or strengthens me.
The truth is what you call long lost still survives in the heart of hearts of Pakistanis. Instead of creating your country around the core, you've neglected it and tried to give yourself a new identity, which is clearly not working.
Just by silencing me or a few here you wont find peace.

I agree!!!
The article was just too vague and was headed in a fuzzy direction.
I feel the article was written just to see the initial reaction of pakistanis as to how receptive are they to her ideas. If anyone writes in depth on the topic who knows someone will issue a fatwa against her. So either it will be nipped in the bud or she will come out with more articles and inspire others to write about it.

I feel the article was written just to see the initial reaction of pakistanis as to how receptive are they to her ideas. If anyone writes in depth on the topic who knows someone will issue a fatwa against her. So either it will be nipped in the bud or she will come out with more articles and inspire others to write about it.
Lol
yeah that could be a reason, why she avoided going into great depths of this subject.
Fatwa!!
Lolzz any sane female would avoid it.

The truth is what you call long lost still survives in the heart of hearts of Pakistanis.

Once again with these very vague, weak and flimsy statements. Today I've discovered there's this deep instinct inside me to do what my ancestors were doing a thousand years ago. You know, planting crops, living in mud houses, bartering with the village blacksmith and all.

you've neglected it and tried to give yourself a new identity, which is clearly not working.

Muslim thinkers have promoted this identity since the late 19th century. A turbulent phase marked with corruption, foreign powers vying for control, poverty, resulting in an insurgency and suddenly, this ideology has failed.

Good meme. There are plenty of Pakistanis who have written articles like this with no such problem regarding fatwas. I'm not much of a scholar but the name Ayesha Jalal has popped up a number of times. Nadeem F Paracha is also an outspoken figure regarding this subject.

master’s degree in conflict-resolution from the Monterey Institute of International Studies in California

money well spent. lol! big college bubble is going to explode in this decade. it's so obvious, it's ridiculous actually. it has already exceeded house mortgage debt. which i can't even wrap my head around how that took place.
it is funny (depressing) to see people majoring in stupid stuff like this. paying 80 grand, excuse me, "borrowing 80 grand with interest" to major in absolutely worthless field like this. no contribution to society and then expect to make a middle class living. i don't want go on a rant but i meet so many people like these in college that feel entitled to everything in life.

and yes the article was dog sh*t.

Back
Top Bottom