What's new

Pakistani Rupee's decline and its causes

will it not be Just?
Indeed it will be.
"Corruption has appeared throughout the land and sea by what the hands of people have earned, so He may let them taste part of what they have done that perhaps they will return" (Surat Ar-Rum 30:41)

To be fair, she is just interviewing him and presenting his viewpoint as a journalist does so, if he is so awfully lying then he should be easy to rebuke by an economist. Nothing wrong with that.

Current Government has shown nothing observably good for the economy and is always deflecting the faults to PMLN, sad to say. If they think that the damage, if any, is irreparable then they should step down; it's as simple as that, otherwise stop deflecting and start showing what changes have been made by this government for good of economy, so far nothing good can be seen from a common man's point of view.
Nope this is not "to be fair" journalism means asking questions and doing your home work not interviewing !

This is what we call "lefafa" journalism

They should be probed for assests as well

Markets remain jittery:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1474211/govt-announces-crackdown-as-dollars-vanish-in-open-market

KARACHI: Signs of panic are now appearing in foreign currency markets as the dollar touched Rs148 in open trading on Friday and the information minister announced that “a full-fledged operation against dollar hoarding and speculative currency trade” is going to be launched. Meanwhile, the finance minister issued a renewed assurance that the “rupee is in equilibrium” and “there is no reason for big devaluations”.

The open market has been shrugging off the government’s assurances for a long time. On Friday, the State Bank held its third meeting in five days with the heads of exchange companies to find ways of bringing the open market rate under control. Like the previous such meetings, this one too appeared to have ended inconclusively.

DollarVsPakistaniRupee.png
DollarVsPakistaniRupee2.png

keep hearing these anchors say that the govt has no economic direction...

it is so frustrating... the govt has said time and again that they want to promote exports and make it easy to do business... the govt has also said that they want to reform FBR and SOEs... i can easily recall several steps govt has taken in last few months to move in this direction...

but i never hear these anchors discussing any of this... maybe the govt is not doing well to achieve these goals... but these people never even discuss what steps govt has taken and if there has been any progress... some time i think that they dont even know what 'economic direction' even means... perhaps these people are used to seeing big projects and that's it

Private Channels , anchors are part of problem spreading lies and forcing drop in Rupee prices

keep hearing these anchors say that the govt has no economic direction...

it is so frustrating... the govt has said time and again that they want to promote exports and make it easy to do business... the govt has also said that they want to reform FBR and SOEs... i can easily recall several steps govt has taken in last few months to move in this direction...

but i never hear these anchors discussing any of this... maybe the govt is not doing well to achieve these goals... but these people never even discuss what steps govt has taken and if there has been any progress... some time i think that they dont even know what 'economic direction' even means... perhaps these people are used to seeing big projects and that's it
These anchors are neither journalists nor are they equipped to study and inquire about the economy.

For example, rather than going off about "no economic direction, blah, blah, blah" they can actually ask, "how well is the gov't fairing in attracting foreign investment, when do FDI remittances kick-in, do we have sufficient time to shore-up other hard-currency inflows to offset eventual FDI remittances ... okay, onto SOEs, when do all of these restructuring plans kick-in? Why haven't we begun culling redundant labour from PIA et. al? ... etc etc."

But a lot of us Pakistanis have a nasty habit of wanting to hear ourselves than to actually question and, just as important (if not more so), listen and understand. The questions we ask have less to do with investigating causes and effects, and more to do with just arguing. The news anchors just have a high proportion of such people (ironically, it's the poorest Pakistanis from my experience who have the best listening and inquiry skills).

My suggestion there would be to drop FX control overnight and bare with it, rather than keep semi-pegged currency and keep haemorrhaging your reserves, and keep populace at constant unease during the "gradual" devaluation.

These anchors are neither journalists nor are they equipped to study and inquire about the economy.

For example, rather than going off about "no economic direction, blah, blah, blah" they can actually ask, "how well is the gov't fairing in attracting foreign investment, when do FDI remittances kick-in, do we have sufficient time to shore-up other hard-currency inflows to offset eventual FDI remittances ... okay, onto SOEs, when do all of these restructuring plans kick-in? Why haven't we begun culling redundant labour from PIA et. al? ... etc etc."

But a lot of us Pakistanis have a nasty habit of wanting to hear ourselves than to actually question and, just as important (if not more so), listen and understand. The questions we ask have less to do with investigating causes and effects, and more to do with just arguing. The news anchors just have a high proportion of such people (ironically, it's the poorest Pakistanis from my experience who have the best listening and inquiry skills).

cant agree more... you have raised all valid questions. these are the questions they need to educate their viewers about...

but alas... most of them just cant get tired of predicting political future of person xyz... they have turned TV shows into their sitting rooms

or better still, stop stealing from one another and start paying for gas, electricity and water instead of bribing the meter readers. stop tax evasion with help from crooked tax inspectors.

or keep on being crooks and thieves and blame the problems of country and the Rupee on PTI and/or the Army

Mine is a single line solution. Yours involve a miracle.

Back
Top Bottom