What's new

Pakistan will get New Air Defence system within this Year - CAS on ARY News .

Italians have allowed it in past so not a far fetched idea.
Grifo 7 Radar on F-7
Selex Falco Drone
etc....
Swedes sold full rights for SAAB Safari/Supporter which led to MFI-17 Super Mushak.

Issue is do we have the volume for justifying the upfront licensing fee. There is a minimum order quantity (MOQ) for feasibility of such things, else its more convenient buying straight from supplier.

I would not recommend keeping the air defense system architecture the same as an aircraft that can be designed with a budget of 5 million dollars in the aviation department of a simple university.

I think we require a system with ballistic missile defense capabilities and capability to detect and intercept supersonic cruise missiles.

CAMM-ER, the Common Anti-air Modular Missile Extended Range, is from the CAMM family of next generation air defence missiles.
Incorporating advanced technologies, CAMM-ER provides complete protection against all known and projected air targets.
CAMM-ER has an active RF seeker that provides true all-weather performance with excellent clutter rejection capabilities. There is no need for dedicated complex and high-cost fire control/illumination radars.
CAMM-ER offers land based forces a highly effective and easily deployable, medium range air defence system, as part of the Enhanced Modular Air Defence Solutions (EMADS), capable of operating as either a standalone unit or integrated within a battlespace network. The use of third party target information from the wider battlespace network allows the system to engage targets that are non line-of-sight from the local launcher or sensors.
CHARACTERISTICS
  • icon-weight.png

Weight: 160 kg
  • icon-length.png

Length: 4.2 m
  • icon-diameter.png

Diameter: 190 mm
  • icon-max-intercept-range.png

Range: > 45 km against multiple targets
  • icon-speed.png

Speed: Supersonic

As a fellow MBDA missile (to the Meteor), the CAMM-ER may also have a similar two way datalink as well as a similar active radar seeker. With ToT, and work with other suppliers on a Throttleable ducted Rocket variant (with a unique solid Boron based gas generator propellant) of the PL-15 or Bozdogan BVR missile, the PAF could co-develop a competitor to the Meteor (hopefully with a similar NEZ; No-escape zone of 70-80 km; reference per the Millenium 7 youtube channel) that can be put on the JF-17 or any other non-western Fighter Pakistan operates.

with a better network and set of sensors then the opponent, the JF-17 could launch and bug out after handing off the missile to another platform or sensor grid to guide the missile to the enemy targets.

getting back on topic; the CAMM-ER opens the PN and Pakistan up to the latest European Datalinks and radar seekers on missiles. Definitely a purchase that should be done with ToT.

P.S. a faster top speed; or more accurately, effective speed (speed the plane can actually achieve in a pinch, during an engagement) needs to be prioriticed in a future block of the JF-17. This will help narrow the NEZ the Meteor will have if launched against a JF-17. That can be the difference between survival and getting shot down. The J-20 (with its DSI intakes) has a top speed of approx. Mach 2+. That should, IMHO, be a design goal of a future model (along with super cruise), specially the WS-19 engine.

Last edited:
No one really knows just guess work. The only sure confirmation is from the navy (see Milgem) but this thread is not about such a system.

Honestly, Pakistan should work on indigenous SAM and AAA systems. Its probably more important the AZM at this point....and lower cost to develop. Considering that threats from drones, super sonic CM's and BMs really cant be dealt with by manned AC. Just look at the Iranians did with the Raad system. I'd go for something Turkish if their is TOT and no parts that can be stopped by a third party......Although Chinese AESA and electronics are really good nowadays.

Last edited:
I'd take the commonality argument a step further
On that note.. Can the US origin radar pass the information to Chinese system? Like of height, speed etc? I heard that SAAB AWACS can communicate with JF-17 but with a little lag..

Just asking because can P8 of indian navy give target/threat information to its Russian made sub? It is clear that they can't guide each other weapons, but passing info is not a big thing??????

On that note.. Can the US origin radar pass the information to Chinese system? Like of height, speed etc? I heard that SAAB AWACS can communicate with JF-17 but with a little lag..

Just asking because can P8 of indian navy give target/threat information to its Russian made sub? It is clear that they can't guide each other weapons, but passing info is not a big thing??????
I don't know about lag, but I suspect that has more to do with the security protocols we have in Link-17 than anything to do with the JF-17 or the Erieye. We aren't as experienced with TDLs as the U.S., Europe, or Israel are, so it may take us time to reach their standards. IIRC, part of our limitation is the fact that we don't build hardware units, so we can't design our system from both ends, at least not to the degree the US can with its TDLs.

I don't know about lag, but I suspect that has more to do with the security protocols we have in Link-17 than anything to do with the JF-17 or the Erieye. We aren't as experienced with TDLs as the U.S., Europe, or Israel are, so it may take us time to reach their standards. IIRC, part of our limitation is the fact that we don't build hardware units, so we can't design our system from both ends, at least not to the degree the US can with its TDLs.

Erieyes can operate as the middle man. They are able to operate numerous datalinks simultaneously

Yeah but what example of inter-service cooperation like that do we have except the use of Babur/Harbah? The Navy doesn't even salute like the PAF and PA lol.
Salutes are different in entire world. Secondly yes in past that used to be the case not anymore. Thirdly in all probability Navy and Air Force are going for same system.

Salutes are different in entire world.
Not that this is important but
1623829506274.png

I believe the PA PAF style of salute is British while the PN style is American. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's always been a curiosity. You kind of missed the point Zarvan bhai. Obviously salutes don't have anything to do with procurement (I'm not stupid lol). That was just a (hopefully) funny comment.

Secondly yes in past that used to be the case not anymore. Thirdly in all probability Navy and Air Force are going for same system.
In all probability? In the past? Please remind us of the drones bought by the PA, PAF, and PN. Not saying it can't happen. I'm saying I haven't seen evidence of it so I am skeptical.

Back
Top Bottom