What's new

Pakistan Railways near Bankruptcy

So do you believe in whole of Pakistan there are just 8 trains working?

I suggest you check the railways web site and check how many trains are operational.

Welcome to Pakistan Railway

Check under the train names i can see many, infact plenty.

i am shocked too, but the journalist guys says there r 8 trains left, maybe same engines can be used for many services, dunno much

There must be 100+ Engines for Sure. 8 ?? I don't think so.

Yes, i dont know where he quoted the figure of 8 from..

Out of the total 551 engines, only 145 have been left operational with the railways and that too functioning in partial capacity due to resource constraint coupled with management lapses. A locomotive engine usually runs on six motors, however, these operational engines are running on two to four motors.

Latest news.
Railways suspends cargo-lifting from dry port

the journalist guy seems to be an idiot :blink:

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

its kamran khan saying yr, check the video
Yes, and we need to apply some common sense, while listening to news. You know what the joker najam sethi said, he said the Army and ISI came to know about OBL operation after watching Geo News :rofl:

The latest audit report of AG Pakistan reported a fraud of 564 Million during fiscal year 2010 - 11. What action has been taken so far? nothing.....
The corrupt people in PR are sucking this profitable organization for years. Every train that leaves railway station is always full, rather overloaded, same is case with PIA, the reason of loss is just corruption nothing else.
U cant blame corruption only.
The state transport's main criteria is taking ppl frm A to B with low tariff .
If they increase their tariff they will always be in profit but how many would afford then ?

And Indian railways making profits cant be compard to Pakistan as the ground situation and demographies of both the countries are different .

Yes, and we need to apply some common sense, while listening to news. You know what the joker najam sethi said, he said the Army and ISI came to know about OBL operation after watching Geo News :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If they increase their tariff they will always be in profit but how many would afford then ?

And Indian railways making profits cant be compard to Pakistan as the ground situation and demographies of both the countries are different .

You didnt get my point. I am not for increase in tariff, the loss of pakistan railways is resultant of corruption not bcaz of low tariffs. Railway is main travelling media for the middle class people and it should be subsidized, if not, then at least its objective should be public welfare as 'not for profit organization'. The increase in fare is politically motivated via pressures from transport mafia.

Who said Indian Railways makes profits? The profits are only notioal in nature. Fact is IR is a huge drain on the exchequer's pockets

Who said Indian Railways makes profits? The profits are only notioal in nature. Fact is IR is a huge drain on the exchequer's pockets
Well, IR is for service to the people, we dont need profit out of it.
As long as it does not make any loss, I am okey with IR.

how can you perform maintenance, and pay the salaries if the org is not profitable??

That is to be met from cash profits, i.e. all non cash expenses like depreciation, amortization etc are added back to profit. In case of shortfall, that is to be met from govt. borrowings / subsidy.

Indian Railways is a loss making proposition wherein the central government has to pump in huge money every year to keep it running.

Indian Railways has one of the lowest passenger tariff rates in the world. However, our freight tariff rates are one of the highest in the world, because we partially cross subsidize Passenger operations through freight operations. Due to this reason, costs of commodities increase disproportionately, and inflation increases. In the end it is the same middle class man who has to pay more for his daily bread to cross subsidize his travel requirements.

That is to be met from cash profits, i.e. all non cash expenses like depreciation, amortization etc are added back to profit. In case of shortfall, that is to be met from govt. borrowings / subsidy.

90% of our assets are fully depreciated. There is very little capital investment going into railway assets.

I am not bragging, but Pakistanis can learn a thing or two from Indians about managing railways...after all we have the 4th largest railway network in the world.

Back
Top Bottom