What's new

Pakistan Navy Frigates & Destroyers Information pool

@Penguin
Sir aren't the South korean destroyers very new, build around 2005? If Pakistan really is willing to spend around 1 billion dollars for 1 destroyer, a new one.Then Horizon class derivatives from Italy is a must consider.
Yes, I wasn't suggesting used ships but new ships. Am AEGIS equipped variant of this ship has also been offered to the Indian navy. I would suggest a variant with Thales I-mast 500 and SMART-L

There aren't any used destroyers up for sale these days, so destroyers implies new ships.

No those were Brookes and Garcia Class Frigates that were returned as they were leased. Gearings of FRAM I were mostly sold for scrap and one was used as a missile target. One is being used as the floating HQ of MSA but I am not sure about this.
Correct, based on my search for Tariq, i am happy to see it is still floating. It was a pleasure to have been given that unique tour - still have the present plate given to me.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting used ships but new ships. Am AEGIS equipped variant of this ship has also been offered to the Indian navy. I would suggest a variant with Thales I-mast 500 and SMART-L

There aren't any used destroyers up for sale these days, so destroyers implies new ships.

Few options for destroyers beyond China. South Korea, Italy and Spain too are good options. A modern destroyer would cost upward of 1.5 Billion with its armaments. If Pakistan is ready to pay that much, then European options should be the priority.

what ever happened to PNS Tariq which was a Gearing class destroyer. I was given a tour in the mid 80s of that ship. It was accompanied with PNS Badr.
PNS Tariq (D165), the former American Gearing-class destroyer USS Wiltsie (DD-716) launched in 1945; acquired by the Pakistan Navy in 1977; renamed Nazim in 1990; as of 2009, serving as the non-operational flagship of Pakistan's Maritime Security Agency.
PNS Tariq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tariq became the flagship of Pakistani Navy on 25 January 1990 and renamed Nazim. She was decommissioned by Pakistan Navy and given to Maritime Security Agency for service as MSS Nazim, its 'on sea' headquarters. The ship is moored some kilometers away from Karachi Harbour and is painted white. The ship is now considered non-operational and hasn't been moved in years. In this capacity, it remains the flagship of the Maritime Security Agency (MSA)[Pakistan].
USS Wiltsie (DD-716) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on Google Earth pics of Karachi harbor, the vessel disappeared sometime between 2 October 2010 and 12 November 2010. It is not elswhere in the Karachi port and has not reappeared since. At the end of 2010 armaments were removed. Scrapped (spotted her on a GE pic of 15 december 2010 at the shipbreakers near Goth Sumar Khan (Gadani area). 25° 2'57.24"N by 66°42'38.71"E.

1264109.jpg

Nazim - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker (August 13, 2010)

1264110.jpg

Nazim - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker (October 22, 2010)

mss-nazim.jpg

Few options for destroyers beyond China. South Korea, Italy and Spain too are good options. A modern destroyer would cost upward of 1.5 Billion with its armaments. If Pakistan is ready to pay that much, then European options should be the priority.
Technically, Spain does not produce destroyers (although their F-100 Alvaro de Bazan class frigate is licence built in Australia and christened Hobart class air warfare destroyer) Essentially in the same group as the Dutch LCF/7Provincien, and the German F123 and F124 ships (all classed as frigates). Italy co-developed and produces the Horizon/Orrizonte frigate together with France. At 7050 tons fld, this is the largest of the Euro-frigates, which also includes the Danish Ivar Huitfeldt class and the Norwegian Nansen class (Spanish built smaller cousin of the Spanish F-100). F-123 Brandenburg is the smallest at 4,490t full load displacement.

The UKs Daring class (Type 45) is about 1000-1500 tons larger in displacement than the Franco-Italian Horizon/Orrizonte, and very close to the Burke flight 1 in size: more properly a destroyer.

The Chinese type 052B is put at 6,500 tons full load, 052C at 7000 tons, and 052D at 7500 tons (but it not clear to me if these are estimates or official data)

Last edited:
Side note: for those complaining that the ex-USCG ships of the Hamilton class that were delivered to the Phillippines were stripped of their search radar, please note it was of the same type as seen on MSS Nazim (i.e. very very very old)

1694440.jpg

Pakistan building good relations with russia.....why not russisn CIWS on chines Frigrates and misselboats.....because Russian CIWS with short range missels very impressive.

Pakistan Navy Frigates & Destroyers

QkXjV.png

This thread will concentrate on the PN frigates/destroyers.
I've tabulated the general sequence of inductions ,in the above picture & underlined the three surface vessels we would be pooling info on.

After pooling the basic info , we can start a healthy , well informed discourse

Some surface vessels will not be covered in this thread & you can find related threads in this link
Fleet Review | Page 4
Two STUS and Frigate Join PN Fleet
MRTP-33 Fast Attack Boats
PNS Azmat Class - Fast Attack Missile Craft | Updates & Discussions.
SSK Agosta 90B Class Attack Submarine Information Pool
The cost of a modern warships
Chinese Type-054A Frigate compared
What is the difference between Frigate and Destroyer

The fourth and last frigate of F-22P series for the Pakistan Navy was launched here on Thursday, which has been built at the Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works (KSEW) with Chinese assistance.

The frigate, designated PNS Aslat, was launched at a ceremony held at the KSEW with Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Noman Bashir as chief guest.

The F-22P frigate would be handed over to Pakistan Navy in December 2012, after complete construction of the ship and equipping it with required armoury and sensors, making it ready for full operational use for the Navy.

The construction of the frigate commenced in 2009.

Already, three F-22P frigates, built in China, are in operational use of Pakistan Navy namely PNS Zulfiqar, PNS Shamsheer, and PNS Saif.

Also on the occasion, the Karachi Shipyard announced construction of a Fast Attack (missile) craft for the Pakistan Navy.

Speaking at the launching ceremony, the naval chief said that launching of F-22P ship at KSEW was commendable and a clear manifestation of the indigenisation policy of the government, especially attaining self-reliance in maritime defence capabilities.

Acknowledging efforts of the Pakistani and Chinese engineers and technicians for construction of F-22P Frigate at the Karachi Shipyard, Admiral Bashir congratulated the China State Shipbuilding Company (CSSC), China Shipbuilding and Trading Company (CSTC), Hudong Zhongua and Karachi Shipyards for launching the ship as per schedule and remarked that the occasion was yet another example of unparalleled Pak-China rock-solid relations.

The chief guest emphasized the fact that launching of the warship being an important milestone in attaining maritime defence capabilities, had not only further strengthened Pakistan’s relations with Chinese friends but has added colour and eminence to celebrations for 60 years of resounding friendship between Pakistan and China.

The naval chief appreciated the turnaround of Karachi Shipyard that enabled it to meet challenges of constructing warships and attributed the success to sound planning of KSEW management and untiring efforts of its workforce.

The chief guest also urged the Ministry of Defence Production to continue supporting KSEW on their road to progress.

Admiral Bashir also emphasized building a strong navy capable of defending the maritime interests of the country.

The chief guest reiterated that Pakistan did not harbour aggressive designs “but our sea trade routes, vast Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), and international energy lines that pass very close to our coast need to be protected which is not only in the interest of our country but of the entire international community”.

Therefore, Pakistan Navy will continue to endeavour to maintain peace and stability in its area of responsibility, he said.

The F-22P frigate, having overall length of 123 metres and breadth of 13.8 metres, could move at speeds of up to 29 Knots, having a range of 4000 nautical miles.

The ship would be equipped with surveillance radar, fire control radar, integrated anti-submarine system, Radar Warning receiver system, and laser warning system.

As for the weaponry, the F-22P warship would be armed with surface-to-surface missile, surface-to-air missile, depth charge system, torpedoes, and, anti-aircraft guns. The ship would also be equipped with Chinese-origin Z9EC helicopter.

The main role of the Chinese-origin warship includes anti-submarine warfare; air defence of a force operating at sea or convoy or particular area; interdiction of hostile combatants; patrolling, monitoring, and protection of EEZ; radiate combat power in the area of interest; search and rescue; contribute to international security through UN peacekeeping operations, and flag showing/maritime diplomacy.
Hi can you tell me the fate of pns shamsher ex hms Diomede of the leander class particularly where abdxwgen she was scrapped and if there are any pictures or images e Neill add below
Mountbattenhouse@yahoo.co.UK
Thanks

maxresdefault.jpg

A similar (if lower) platform could support a six-round LY-60 taken from de-commed Tariq class (Type 21)

Hi can you tell me the fate of pns shamsher ex hms Diomede of the leander class particularly where abdxwgen she was scrapped and if there are any pictures or images e Neill add below
Mountbattenhouse@yahoo.co.UK
Thanks
PNS SHAMSHEER
The second ship was a Leander Class ASW frigate (F 263) acquired from RN in 1988 and served PN Fleet till July 2002.
Pakistan Navy Official Website

RN Diomede: To Pakistan 1988 as PNS Shamsher, retired pre-2007 to salvage spare parts for PNS Zulfiqar
Leander-class frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zulfiqar continued in service for 18 years with the Pakistan Navy until 29 October 2006 when she was decommissioned into training.
HMS Apollo (F70) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PNS Zulfiquar
(ex RN Apollo), retired from Pakistani service 4 January 2007.
Sunk as target by c802 12 March 2010.
Leander-class frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2.jpg

The Pakistan Navy | Transformation from Fledgling Force to a Fighting Machine

Last time you see both Leanders in Karachi in Google Earth is february 2004. She was probably scrapped in the period immediate after (sometime 2004-2006), most likely at one of the beaches along Gadani Beach Road. There's a long gap in picture update 2004-2009, so I haven't found sat image evidence of it.

Last edited:
Just noticed the writing above the bridge: what does that say?

3781190.jpg
Possibly an Ayat from the Quran. Could have translated but too far away even on zooming to read clearly.
A

Last edited:
Possibly an Ayat from the Quran. Could have translated but too faer away even on zooming to read clearly.
A
Thanks, interesting. Would this be common practise in PN or is this somthing unique to this particular ship?
PNS+Nasr+auxiliary+oiler+replenishment+%28AOR%29+of+Pakistani+Navy+Fleet%27s+9th+Auxiliary+and+Mine+Warfare+Squadron+and+PNS+Khyber+Tariq-class+guided+missile+frigate.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom