What's new

Pakistan has offered Afghanistan US $20 million for training of ANSF

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will visit Afghanistan on Saturday to meet with President Hamid Karzai.

This visit is coming at an important juncture as political and security transitions are underway in Afghanistan, marked by the upcoming elections and Nato troop withdrawal during 2014, stated the government in a press release on Friday.

The prime minister seeks to strengthen bilateral ties with Afghanistan and he believes that relations should be underpinned by a strong trade and economic partnership, says the release.

The government also emphasised how Pakistan has been extending assistance to Afghanistan in the form of infrastructure, health and education projects, in order to contribute to Afghanistan’s socio-economic development.

The two countries are also involved in road, rail and connectivity projects and Pakistan has offered Afghanistan US $20 million for training of Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).

During his visit, Nawaz will also be meeting with Afghanistan’s High Peace Council, led by Chairman Salahuddin Rabbani.

This upcoming visit will strengthen the positive momentum in bilateral relations and help intensify common endeavours in the pursuit of durable peace, stability and prosperity in the region, states the government in their release.

Talking points: Nawaz looks to shore up bilateral ties in day-long Afghanistan visit – The Express Tribune

Best of Luck to ANSF against the talibastards

The two countries are also involved in road, rail and connectivity projects and Pakistan has offered Afghanistan US $20 million for training of Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).

1. I don't have the references handy but it was reported that a officer from ANSF attended the staff college at Quetta recently (you'll remember Gen Bismillah Khan's visit to Pakistan a year or two ago -- it happened shortly after that) -- but on his return to Afghanistan he recommended that students be sent to India instead of Pakistan.

2. Similarly it was reported that Afghan officers don't want to come to Pakistan for they will be labelled as spies and it will negatively affect their carrier.

3. I don't know if it still is a rule but in the 50s through the 80s, if an Afghan officer or diplomat had a Pakistani spouse they were essentially sidelined or dismissed from service -- so this hostility to "Pakiness" (as referred to by Afghans) is deep seated and is not going away anytime.

4. It is also worth noting, that Afghanistan could probably get much superior training than Indian academies at say Turkish Harp Okuls, which would not raise any heckles in Pakistan -- but instead they seem to be fixated on Indian offerings -- the question is why? -- I have not been able to formulate an answer (but I guess Afghan thinking is often opaque to even Afghans themselves).

5. Pakistanis should remember that a lot of the people who are the most anti-Pakistan in Afghanistan were educated in Pakistan or supported by Pakistan at some point, specific examples:
a. Ahmad Shah Masood
b. Sibghatullah Mojaddedi
c. Amrullah Saleh (yes even him -- he fled to Pakistan to avoid being conscripted)
d. Hamid Karzai (he lived in both Peshawar and Quetta and Islamabad
-- he recently complained to Mushahid Hussain that the green zones in Islamabad
-- have been reduced where he used to enjoy evening walks
e. There is a long list of intellectuals who fit here.

6. I think the aversion to Pakistani things is very deep in Afghan culture -- there is a blog post by his excellency Zahir Tarin, Afghanistan permanent representative to the UN (which I think he's taken down now -- I could not find it) where he recounts a story about his grandfather telling him not to buy anything made in Pakistan (which he then ties to his reasoning about Pakistan -- really strange thinking for a Diplomat but it was there).

7. Pakistanis should think of Afghans as the Afghans want to be thought of by Pakistanis -- just as another people (so say as Slovenians) -- Pakistanis make the mistake of viewing Afghanistan and Afghans through the lens of family. Though this lens is appropriate for most of the larger Muslim world such as: Turkey, Iran, KSA, UAE, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bosnia, etc. -- it, for some reason is the incorrect lens to understand Afghans. Yes based on proximity, language, culture, religion, dress, etc. Afghans should be indistinguishable from us Pakistanis but for some odd reason this is not the case. As anecdote: I was listening to a talk by his excellency Shaida Abdali (Afghan Ambassador to India) and it occurred to me that if he was sighted at a CSP officer's desk in Lahore he would not for a second be out of place -- however as they say: looks can be deceiving.,

8. If past is precedent, Nawaz Sharif will be disappointed.

Last edited:
We shouldn't train any ANSF, its better to build a military academy inside Afghanistan's borders and have Pakistani trainers stationed over there.

Only a limited number of Afghan officers, should be allowed to study at CSC Quetta and NDU, for specialized courses.

@pakistani342,
Excellent post.
As to why the Afghans are not so fond of Pakistan (anymore), my guess would be that Afghanistan is the ultimate loser 'nation' of Asia and these days it would be better for them to leech the Americans. The ruling (very low) class of Afghanistan knows exactly who is buttering their bread these days; India happens to be on the side of those with tens of billions of dollars to spend in the region.

I bet these same 'Afghans' were not so fond of India in the 80's when the buttering or battering was done by the Arabs, and West with Pakistan's help.

Sorry to our Afghan guests here: You NEVER--not even during your relatively better days of 60's and mid 70's--could achieve much with or without foreign help/intervention. Any given Pakistani town with 100,000+ people had more to offer than your Kabul then. And then you decided to flirt with communism in a deeply conservative Islamic society.

We shouldn't train any ANSF, its better to build a military academy inside Afghanistan's borders and have Pakistani trainers stationed over there.

Only a limited number of Afghan officers, should be allowed to study at CSC Quetta and NDU, for specialized courses.
inside afghanistan?? :what:

very intellectual move by Pak government because:
1. It should be common goal of both Afghanistan and Pakistan to get rid of those extremist because both of them are victim.
2. If Pakistan Afghanistan relation improves then USA's dual game will not work.
3. Recently Pakistan-Iran relation improved and USA's plan is to break it. Recent move by USA-
Asking for NATO route through Iran. And who knows USA other westerners will allow Iran to have nuclear weapon and then provoke Pakistan and Iran to engage against each other as shia- sunni conflict. Because It is the shia-sunni conflict in that region kept USA there.

and some member's reaction is like....

"$20 million to train that junk named ANSF"??? :lol:

looks like even Pakistan committed itself in nation building process of Afghanistan.don't know how much warmth it'll bring to the relationship,but good move.

and some member's reaction is like....

"$20 million to train that junk named ANSF"??? :lol:

looks like even Pakistan committed itself in nation building process of Afghanistan.don't know how much warmth it'll bring to the relationship,but good move.

While you may no or not but even now Pakistan has more contribution into infra than India has.Because the Pakistanis(if we dont consider govt) has invested alot in afghanistan ever since the last 3 decades

In khost which probably is just 50km far from my hometown is a hospital(not too bigger) built by RMI(the real one in peshawar)

majority of the doctors in afghanistan are pakistani

So... Pakistanis will train the ANSF as well as pay Afghanistan $20 million for this opportunity (or whatever you may call it)?

Shouldn't Pakistanis actually charge the ANSF for training its military personnel?

Not sure if its just the grammar or something else... can someone please clear it for me?

While you may no or not but even now Pakistan has more contribution into infra than India has.Because the Pakistanis(if we dont consider govt) has invested alot in afghanistan ever since the last 3 decades
In khost which probably is just 50km far from my hometown is a hospital(not too bigger) built by RMI(the real one in peshawar)

post the total amount of monitory figure..

doctors serving in Afghanistan isn't a big thing unless they were sent by government to serve Afghanistan.

I'm not starting a d!ck measuring contest here,but just want to know..may be some afghan members can shed some light as well...

@Afghan-India @Sher Malang

post the total amount of monitory figure..

doctors serving in Afghanistan isn't a big thing unless they were sent by government to serve Afghanistan.

I'm not starting a d!ck measuring contest here,but just want to know..may be some afghan members can shed some light as well...

@Afghan-India @Sher Malang

Try this : Journey of Friendship - Pakistan's Assistance to Afghanistan

Every pence of it was a waste but a sunk cost now !

Pakistan is running out of water/dams, no electricity, no gas, poverty on the rise and we are spending on others shabash Pakistanion aur kharido firdos ki lon.

Exactly !

Imagine how many schools could be built in FATA or Baluchistan or Southern Punjab or Interior Sindh with $20 million !

Bohaaat paisaaa haiii zayaa karnaaa ka tou Noora can give twice that amount out of his own Business Interests leave our hard earned tax revenue for us !

It should've been built in one of the Agencies instead !

We're Pakistanis not son's of Hatim Taiii !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom