What's new

Pakistan coach Woolmer dies

Inzy should have waited till after the next match to retire. And i know that there aren't many ways to make up for the humiliating defeat...but the least the Pak team can do is 'go out swinging' (sorry for the baseball analogy...too much amreeka for me). I understand that the next match won't bring us back in the tourney...but atleast a exhilirating performance by our team can save SOME face.

AsSalam o Alaikum.
we are sorry to hear about Bobs sudden demise and my and every body else,s condolences go out to his family. However, in a very surreal way nature has spared him all the humiliation and flack which would have greeted him on his return to Pakistan. I feel he tried his best, but could not overcome the politicking and lack of conviction of the players which has eventually resulted in our loss. I think we as a nation are to be blamed for the performance of our team. They are from amongst us and only demonstrate the traits that plague us both as individuals and as a nation.
i think Inzi will be the main scapegoat for all the people to vent their anger and frustration on, but BCCP should not be allowed to escape the blame. We should use our anger constructively and try and rectify the faults that lie in our corrupt system that appears to be answerable to no one. If truth be known, if we look in our hearts, none of us could honestly have foreseen Pakistan progressing through the major league. And yet we have protected fools like Shoaib and Asif, and nonperformers like Inzi for a very long time. We have a constant fitness problem with our players, chronic indiscipline,and very evident lack of conviction, which we have constantly ignored to our detriment. So it is no surprise that this house of cards has come crumbling down at the slightest hint of pressure.
you never know, we may yet learn a lesson which we have failed to learn for the last 2-3 decades. Only hard work and sheer grit and determination will win matches, not relying on paper tigers.
WaSalam
Araz

Very good post Araz.

I think this is the time to grab the whole system from the roots and examine it and make the necessary changes to make sure this doesn't happen in the future, or to make sure that the future teams remain competitive and highly motivated to play in the cricket games.

This is the time that we should learn and change for better.

A very sad news indeed. I was shocked when I heard about it in the morning.
He has the problem of choked throat/lungs. He used to have an oxygen mask with him all the time. A cardiac arrest coupled with choking problem might have proved fatal. I learned that it was blood, due to vomitting, on the walls of the room.
My sincere condolences to his family. He did, what he can do best, under present circumstances for the Pakistan team. Well done Bob!
Kashif

Yeah this is agian a very bad day for pakistani cricket we lost a great coach. It might be me but i really saw team cohesion in his time. This i have never seen ever before even during waseems time they really looked like family playing out there. I am sure this not only a great loss to pakistani cricket but to international cricket.
I personally think that he should be given a civil award by the government of pakistan

Very good post Araz.

I think this is the time to grab the whole system from the roots and examine it and make the necessary changes to make sure this doesn't happen in the future, or to make sure that the future teams remain competitive and highly motivated to play in the cricket games.

This is the time that we should learn and change for better.

webby.
AsSalam oAlaikum
Thanks for your remarks,but the most worrying factor is whether we have the moral fibre to make the necessary changes. We are a nation wary of institutions,of Law and order. We survive on Adhocism and all deficiencies are blamed on Kismet or on some external factor. if they find nothing else there will always be a conspiracy or intrigue. As a team, just like a nation,we are individuals and not a cohesive unit. Individual brilliance aside, there is no team spirit or self belief. This results in spineless performances. Once we have achieved a certain status, we survive on past performances, and give up on personal fitness and hard work. The present state of fitness and the problems that stem for it are amply apparent to all of us. In fun and play, as in diet, we are prone to excesses and Inzis lean figure and Shoaibs constant breakdowns are a testament to their state of health. The business of drugs is rife according to a player in the leagues, and cannabis is common amongst players, mostly fast bowlers.And when someone gets caught , we try our level best to defend their actions, and carve all sorts of excuses.
I would love to see the team prosper as a unit , but despair that the underlying problems are the very problems that plague our society,ie too much talk and not enough hard work, and Lust for money which is far greater than their lust for the game/work.
Thanks and WaSalam
Araz

Sad day for Cricket and for Pakistani team. Woolmer has done a lot for Pakistan, seen us through several problems and crisis and we should be thankfull to him and his family.

May he rest in peace!

It was very shocking and sad to hear of Bob's death.
There is an operation theater in Georgina McRobert Memorial Hospital, Kanpur, India, named after him (he was born in that ward).

More shocking and boiling for me,,,when Sarfraz Nawaz in PTV Global claimed ,during camp some of player came to him ,and complained about Inzi for his mullahization the team. Asking player to have beard otherwise.....and calling will of God for losing the team, when no personal efforts involve....

Woolmer may have been murdered

Reports are emerging that Bob Woolmer may have been murdered after marks were discovered on the Pakistan coach's neck. Woolmer was found unconscious in his hotel room on Sunday and died shortly after in a Jamaica hospital.

Woolmer's family said after speaking to doctors they expected his death was caused by a stress-related heart attack. An autopsy completed on Tuesday was inconclusive, but investigators were waiting for the results of toxicology tests to see if they helped determine the cause of death. The Pakistan manager is currently holding a press conference in Jamaica.

More to follow

© Cricinfo

cricket team is responsible or batting mafia....

Pak coach Bob Woolmer was murdered: Geo TV

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blog this story

Islamabad: Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer, who recently passed away after his team's loss to minnows Ireland, was murdered, Pakistan's Geo TV reported today.

Woolmer, it may be recalled, had been found unconscious in his hotel room on Sunday. He was later declared dead at the University hospital in Kingston. Woolmer's post-mortem had proved inconclusive.

According to Indian television channels, the Jamaican police had asked the Pakistan team to stay back after their final match. The channels also reported that the match-fixing angle was being probed.

The Pakistan Cricket Board is expected to hold a press conference later today.

http://content.msn.co.in/News/International/InternationalIS_210307_0810

His last email:

"We might have to do this from afar. I don't know what is going to happen next. We will first play our game against Zimbabwe and the fly back to Pakistan. This will be give me more time to work on by book on coaching. The articles will have to be more general from now on.

Thanks
Bob
p.s: What a miserable day it has been. Almost as bad as Edgbaston, 1999!"

Media has been reporting that this shows Woolmer had no plans of ending his life and was planning life after world cup.

Inzy, Shoiab Malik and Rana....

Sarfraz said he felt that Woolmer "has been bumped off".

"It was the betting mafia which eliminated Hansie Cronje. It was the same betting mafia which killed 'Cadbury', the well-known bookie from Pakistan who later settled in South Africa. Cadbury's body was cut into pieces. Now, that has been the fate of Woolmer," he claimed.

Sarfraz openly claimed that Inzamam, along with Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Mushtaq Ahmed, Mohammad Yousuf and Shoaib Malik were involved in betting.

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/conspiracy-theories-flying-since-day-one/23843-13.html

'Pakistan media tried to disrupt Pakistan team spirit' - WOOLMER'S DIARY
Wed, 21 Mar 2007

Kingston (Jamaica), March 21 In the final posting on his website, late Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer said that he was 'disappointed' over reports in Pakistani media that tried to 'disrupt team spirit' during the World Cup.

'We are also very disappointed by the articles trying to disrupt team spirit appearing in our press in Pakistan, and would ask those who read this to ignore the drivel!' wrote Woolmer in his final 'Diary' item Friday - less than two days before he died in his hotel room in mysterious circumstances here.

Woolmer, 58, was found unconscious in the bathroom of his hotel room Sunday morning, a day after Pakistan shockingly lost to minnows Ireland in Group D and crashed out of the cricket World Cup. The former England player was declared dead upon reaching a local hospital.

It match was the 1992 World Cup winners' second defeat in two matches, having lost to the West Indies in the 16-nation tournament.

Woolmer begins his final 'diary' with the description of the team's final net practice at Kensington Oval followed by a fielding session at Sabina Park here.

'... then I had lunch with Danish (Kaneria, the leg-spinner) next to the pool and then went back to the room to catch up with the 'Diary' and a couple of articles and our final preparations for the team meeting this evening,' he wrote.

'We are aware of the importance not just of this game (against Ireland) but both (the third one against Zimbabwe) and we are very determined to do well.'

It was not to be, as Pakistan lost by three wickets and were ousted from the tournament, though they are scheduled to play the inconsequential match Zimbabwe Wednesday.

Woolmer, however, lauds Ireland's gritty performance in their earlier match against Zimbabwe, which ended in a thrilling tie. It gave qualifiers Ireland an unexpected point.

'Wow, what a game between Zimbabwe and Ireland. While we did not need reminding we saw a very committed Ireland side and Zimbabwe, who were gutted that they did not beat Ireland when they had the game by the throat,' he wrote.

'All credit to Ireland for sticking to their task,' said the man who had, ironically, groomed the Irish team as the International Cricket Council-appointed High Performance Manager before becoming Pakistan coach.

Woolmer further wrote: 'In the evening, I went out for supper with the leader of the Drum ensemble who played at the opening ceremony. Very interesting! We went to Courtney Walsh's restaurant and bar just down the road. We had some great food and a pleasant evening.'

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/42534.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom