What's new

Pakistan Assists Sri Lanka In War Against Tigers

TF 4 troops enter Oddusuddan township - Mullaittivu

Troops of Task Force 4 who have continued their advances further northwards after capturing Nadunkeni have entered Oddusuddan township by this afternoon, 4 January.

According to the latest information, troops of 14 Sinha Regiment (SR) commanded by Major U.S.N.K Perera under command to 642 Brigade commanded by Lt. Colonel B.T Hathnagoda entered the Oddusuddan town following the days long fighting ensued in the area.

The strategically vital Oddusuddan junction located along the Mankulam - Mullaittivu (A34) main road had been used by the LTTE terrorists for their administrative and logistic purposes as it has direct route access towards Mullaittivu, Puthukkudiyiruppu, Mankulam and Nedunkeni.

Troops own engaged in further consolidating operations in north and west of Oddusudan areas, defence sources said.

TF 4 troops enter Oddusuddan township - Mullaittivu

Sri Lanka military captures key Tamil Tiger town

* Government observes moment of silence in honour of slain troops

COLOMBO: Government troops captured a strategic Tamil Tiger-held town on Monday, as Sri Lankans raised flags and held a moment of silence to honour the military as it battles to end the country’s 25-year-old civil war.

Government forces have won a string of stunning victories over the rebels in recent months, forcing them to withdraw from much of the de facto state they once controlled in the north. On Friday, troops took control of the rebels’ administrative capital, Kilinochchi, dealing a harsh blow to their dreams of establishing a separate state for ethnic Tamils. The rebels, as well has hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced by the fighting, are now confined to a jungle area slightly larger than the city of Los Angeles.

Silence: In honour of the troops, and of those slain in the war, the government held flag-raising ceremonies across the country and called for two minutes of silence, even as the military pressed ahead with its attacks.

Troops on Monday took control of the town of Oddusudan, which sits at an important crossroads leading to the rebel town of Mullaittivu, according to military spokesman Brig Udaya Nanayakkara. Troops clashed with the rebels across the Mullaittivu district on Sunday and recovered the bodies of at least 15 guerrilla fighters slain in the battles, the military said. Rebels could not be reached for comment on the fighting. However, the rebel-affiliated TamilNet website reported that the insurgents stalled a military advance on Sunday on the road to Mullaittivu, killing 53 soldiers and wounding 80 others. The military gave no figures for its own casualties. Independent confirmation of the fighting was not available because the military usually bars journalists from the war zone. ap

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

LTTE airstrips captured
Sri Lankan air strikes hit retreating Tamil Tigers
Monday, January 12, 2009

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka’s military on Sunday launched air attacks against the last remaining jungle hideouts of Tamil Tiger rebels after driving them out of their main strongholds, officials said.

Helicopter gunships supported ground troops advancing deeper into the Mullaittivu region, where the retreating Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) forces are holed up, a military official said.

The defence ministry has said the security forces are ready to deal a “decisive blow” to the rebels after the capture of the strategic Elephant Pass on Friday.

Losing control of the causeway was the latest in a series of defeats for the Tamil Tigers, who have been fighting since 1972 for a separate homeland.

Their main political headquarters of Kilinochchi was overrun by government troops earlier this month and the rebels are now confined to the jungle and lagoon district around Mullaittivu town on Sri Lanka’s northeast coast.

The leader of the Tiger rebels, Velupillai Prabhakaran, vowed in a radio broadcast late last year to fight on, and his guerrillas have frustrated government hopes of victory many times before.

But with the rebels appearing close to defeat, the army major general in charge of the assault on Kilinochchi said troops were now heading into the Mullaittivu jungles to “hunt down” Prabhakaran.

In the latest clashes, jet aircraft bombed Tiger boats on lagoons near Mullaittivu and hit rebel positions in the same area.

The army said it had captured airstrips from which the Tigers launched missions to bomb government targets using planes smuggled onto the island in pieces and re-assembled. “The Sri Lankan army has so far captured four airstrips of the LTTE terrorists during the ongoing counter terrorist operations,” the defence ministry said.

It added that troops had recovered the bodies of 11 rebels killed in recent battles in Mullaittivu after soldiers captured an abandoned Tiger camp.

Casualty reports from the conflict can not be independently verified but government officials said security forces had met with sporadic resistance since Kilinochchi fell after months of heavy fighting.

The LTTE, which has not commented on the latest military claims, accused troops of directing artillery fire towards an internally displaced camp inside rebel-held Mullaittivu on Friday, killing one man and injuring four others.

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse said in a New Year’s address that 2009 would be the year of “heroic victory” over the Tigers.

LTTE airstrips captured

Good news. Anyone can confirm recent help from pakistan on this. Till now i believed that India supplied the arms. Today also LTTE demanded india to stop the supply of arms. Did pakistan provided the arms or cotinue to support them?

Sri Lankans know who helped them and how ;)

Should we thank our mod for increating our imagination ??? In my slang term its called "HULA" means a leave a worm in ones head. Let him keep thinking about it without coming to any conclusion.:chilli:

Is their a possibility that our Pilots were involved in the air campeign in sri lanka because i read on a pro tamil site a couple of months ago

I doub't that.

1. Yup, a few politicians in TN whine and Rajapakse runs to Delhi. That should indicate who is at out beck and call. I don't think Pakistani president would be worried if an Indian CM makes a comment.

2. SL is successful in its offensive because India wants her to, no two ways about it. There were recent reports that ARC was doing snooping work for SL.

Sigh, our Indian fanboys always somehow have to involve India in this and show how India is still somehow "involved" in anything regarding Pakistans activities.
The threads name is: Pakistan to help in Colombo's final battle against Tigers.
I read nothing saying India helping, what is there that you're trying to prove, "indiapakistanfriendship"?

1. Yup, a few politicians in TN whine and Rajapakse runs to Delhi. That should indicate who is at out beck and call. I don't think Pakistani president would be worried if an Indian CM makes a comment.

2. SL is successful in its offensive because India wants her to, no two ways about it. There were recent reports that ARC was doing snooping work for SL.

1. We are used to listening to comments made by Indian leadership regardless of whether they have any say in the matter or not. Frankly we have by now memorised what they shall be saying even before they say anything.

2. Please provide a link.

Sigh, our Indian fanboys always somehow have to involve India in this and show how India is still somehow "involved" in anything regarding Pakistans activities.

I was replyimg to Blains assertion which I interpret as "Pakiostan gaining a stronghold in Srilanka", which I content as nothing else then a myth. India has more influence then Pakistan as it is our back yard. In case you cant move out from your state of delusion then I am not the right person to provide consultation for you.

The threads name is: Pakistan to help in Colombo's final battle against Tigers.

An Pakistan is providing weapons to SL out of generosity?

I read nothing saying India helping, what is there that you're trying to prove, "indiapakistanfriendship"?

Point is weapons, you can view sales of weapons in SL's conttext and its profits in terms of economics and nothing else. SL will remember or not remember is not the issue here, the point is India has a very large influence in SL.

1. We are used to listening to comments made by Indian leadership regardless of whether they have any say in the matter or not. Frankly we have by now memorised what they shall be saying even before they say anything.

Come on you can be better than this ejaz. Heck TN has more influence in SL then entire PA and POF combined.

2. Please provide a link.

RAW goes on recce mission-India-The Times of India

Come on you can be better than this ejaz. Heck TN has more influence in SL then entire PA and POF combined.

RAW goes on recce mission-India-The Times of India

This is the difference between you and us. While you dream of having influence over your neighbours we wish to have friendship.

We just wish to help SL to the extent that they can take care of the mennace they are fighting unlike you who in the first place create the problem then go running in on the pretext of helping.

Back
Top Bottom