What's new

Pakistan Army Small Arms

Mate does this mean we have two battalions of rapid deployment infantry for each corp right now or is it two battalions total for two corps?
Also I was wondering how these 'Rapid reaction' forces will deploy? I reckon they will have a hard time doing it by helicopters and we dont even have infantry fighting vehicles. Maybe its just our good old APCs?

Prob. one such unit per Corps. Rapid Reaction concept is something that should not be confused with concepts such as "Air Assault". A Rapid reaction force (RRF) is an entity that is ready, deployable and operationally trained for employment in a theater of operations within a specified amount of time. This time could be anything from 8 hours to 48 hours. Modes of transport could be in the form of aircraft, ground transport or helis. My own take is that this concept is to counter the Indian doctrine of Cold Start. Own units should be able to move quickly and provide the ability to delay the advance of the opposition until the rest of the Army juggernaut moves to their forward positions.

Actually the AUG Steyr Rifle was first sold in Pakistan to the FC troops in the early 90's. Afterward a few units were sold to the PN SSG. However both forces are not too happy with the rifle. The best rifle in my opinion is the M6 carbine (special forces M-16) with the short shoulder butt! Army SSG has a few of them (gifted by the US Delta force) and PN recently contracted them from the US in 7.62 caliber.

5.56mm ammunition is on its way out! FN Herstal tried to introduce the 5.7mm (in shape of P90) but has failed so far. The US Army and its special forces are also switching to the 7.62 caliber after learning the hard way against the one sided AK-47 shoot-outs in the streets of Iraq and the plains of Afghanistan.

Uh, dude I like the AUG. I'm suprised to hear that our troops arent happy with it. I mean are you sure? Who told you this? It is a reasonably good weapon; not very complex or expensive, rugged, accurate and reliable. Rate of fire is good too and the bullpup design is the future.

Its quite adaptable, you can easily switch barrels and sites and attach grenades. And my personal favourite: it has a 42 round magazine!:smitten:

And my personal favourite: it has a 42 round magazine!:smitten:

Not sure about others, but in Pakistan, the magazine is usually never topped off. This is done to prolong the life of the spring in the magazine..;)

Prob. one such unit per Corps. Rapid Reaction concept is something that should not be confused with concepts such as "Air Assault". A Rapid reaction force (RRF) is an entity that is ready, deployable and operationally trained for employment in a theater of operations within a specified amount of time. This time could be anything from 8 hours to 48 hours. Modes of transport could be in the form of aircraft, ground transport or helis. My own take is that this concept is to counter the Indian doctrine of Cold Start. Own units should be able to move quickly and provide the ability to delay the advance of the opposition until the rest of the Army juggernaut moves to their forward positions.

Makes sense dude but I was thinking, one battalion is going to have a hard pulling it off against an Indian assault. Okay I can buy that they have engineers or sappers and have special tasks like laying the ground work for our own advance or fortification for our defence. This sort of thing will work against militants at most, wont you say? This is just one battalion PER CORPS!

Rapid deployment and maneuverability is the key of winning future wars, especially since we are out numbered and out gunned by the Indians. Thats why I am so interested in learning about our tactics.

Not sure about others, but in Pakistan, the magazine is usually never topped off. This is done to prolong the life of the spring in the magazine..;)

I know that, but you know when you know you are going for an assault in the next 10 mins, I rather have all the rounds with me. Besides, 40 rounds in a pack is still better than 18 or 28, dont you agree?

epool,

Its not M-6. Its Colt M-4 and it is also a 5.56 weapon system. SSG (specially SOTF) is widely equipped with this and the Steyr AUG. Even some of the police units are equipped with M-4. The SSG/N and SSG/A both use the AUG after induction by the Naval SSG first. Nothing was gifted to the Pak Army by the US Delta Force as such. They were simply bought through Colt under the FMS/EDA.

Someone had earlier asked about the 5.56 mm weapons in use by the Pakistan Army, thus far the following are in use or eval:

Colt M-4
Steyr AUG
FN P-90 (5.7mm)
Under evaluation:
PK-7 (5.56 version of the MP-5 - POF)
PK-8 (5.56 mm assault rifle as proposed by the POF)

Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten the exact name, but you are right. Zarrar Company at SOTF is equipped with the Colt M-4 which I was told were donated by the US Delta team which had visited and/or jointly trained with the company few years back. The Colt M-4 is now also being inducted by PN SSG. PAF SSG is now using the FN2000 5.56mm Rifle as shown above, they are using the P90 (5.7mm) sub machine gun only for VIP protection and CQB roles (Army & the Navy has refused to even consider these two rifles because of the experience of the PAF SSG with them). Steyr AUG is on its way out with not repeat orders from any other service since its last induction. The PK-7 and PK-8 was tested by the Army recently but without any success which is why now the Army is actively seeking a replacement for the MP-5 in the 9mm category.

Uh, dude I like the AUG. I'm suprised to hear that our troops arent happy with it. I mean are you sure? Who told you this? It is a reasonably good weapon; not very complex or expensive, rugged, accurate and reliable. Rate of fire is good too and the bullpup design is the future.

Its quite adaptable, you can easily switch barrels and sites and attach grenades. And my personal favourite: it has a 42 round magazine!:smitten:

Sorry to break your heart pal! but the AUG is so 80's! I am more a fan of the M-4, AK-47 and the P90 (which houses 50 rounds of 5.7mm in a see-through magazine and 100 rounds if you tape a second magazine on top!! The round can penetrate any bullet proof jacket and helmet and it tumbles once inside the body. So an excellent CQB and anti-hijacking weapon, highly accurate too and very light to carry):guns:

Wow, how much did it cost? (I hope your wife is not around):P

What does the World's Army data-base have to say about the Pakistan Army? Could you please post it? Maybe just important bits like the Introduction or the offensive/defensive capability bits?:bounce:

is it ok if i PM my answer?

I know that, but you know when you know you are going for an assault in the next 10 mins, I rather have all the rounds with me. Besides, 40 rounds in a pack is still better than 18 or 28, dont you agree?

Just one point to make. Overloading the springs can create feed jams as well. A magazine change is faster than clearing a stoppage

Sorry to break your heart pal! but the AUG is so 80's! I am more a fan of the M-4, AK-47 and the P90 (which houses 50 rounds of 5.7mm in a see-through magazine and 100 rounds if you tape a second magazine on top!! The round can penetrate any bullet proof jacket and helmet and it tumbles once inside the body. So an excellent CQB and anti-hijacking weapon, highly accurate too and very light to carry):guns:

Dude! If the AUG is the 80s then what is AK-47 the 50s? The AK-47 is a wonderful but crude and relativeily inaccurate weapon. P90 is a sub-machine and I'm talking about Assault rifles. Also M-4 is not worth it, Americans hate it, it jams sooo often you wont believe. M-4/16 is history, even the Americans are turning to the H&K delayed blow-back system.

Guyz,

Whats that long barrel gun called? That looks more like thing Germans fight with back in the second world war.

I mean the gun used by Pakistan Army. It looks quite over load as most of the armies use M16s and M4s currently. isnt it?

In counter-guerrilla war you need to be 'light and hasty'. Thus you really need to have a hold of some light and anti shake weapon like SA80, M4 and M16. AK family sucks though!

Shoot n run!

The 5.56 version of MP5 would look brilliant on officers, their 9mm MP5 just lack that punch for a ranged fighter.

The 5.56 version of MP5 would look brilliant on officers, their 9mm MP5 just lack that punch for a ranged fighter.

I'd rather see Officers carrying the same arms as their troops.

The risk of giving them a different weapon is that they can be distinguished from their troops by snipers.

or natural disasters or calamities!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom