What's new

Pakistan Army Small Arms

Al Shaheen

New Recruit

Reaction score
I was recently looking at the Jane's Infantry Weapons section regarding Pakistan's Army, it was interesting to note that the PA has not followed the trend of embracing a lighter calibre weapon in the 5.56mm range.

All of Pakistan's service rifles: the G-3, Type 56 and AKM are of 7.62mm calibre.

Now granted, all of the above rifles are more than effective - especially the G-3, its a fantastic piece of kit that can always be relied upon.

But it is also a very heavy piece of kit that looses it's edge in close-quarter combat. It's big, heavy, slow to draw upon a snap target and 'lifts' heavily at full automatic fire.

We've already seen the US Army unofficially revert to the carbine M-4 and abandon the much larger M-16 in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even 7.62 GPMG guns like the M-60 and MG1A3 have been traded for the lighter, more flexible 5.56 Minimi now used by nearly all NATO forces.

In India, their special forces have opted for a Israeli 5.56mm 'bullpup' weapon.

Thus I ask if Pakistan too is considering a change in doctrine and adopting a lighter calibre service rifle? Or does 7.62 still give an advantage on the NWFP?

It is, there were many reports about that in this forum. Right now there is an international competition going on in regards to supplying the Pakistan military with the next 5.56mm assault rifle in which even POF is taking part.

It is, there were many reports about that in this forum. Right now there is an international competition going on in regards to supplying the Pakistan military with the next 5.56mm assault rifle in which even POF is taking part.

Us here in the west don't hear a lot about that. Thus my question here on this forum.

Any idea on a favourite??

I was recently looking at the Jane's Infantry Weapons section regarding Pakistan's Army, it was interesting to note that the PA has not followed the trend of embracing a lighter calibre weapon in the 5.56mm range.

All of Pakistan's service rifles: the G-3, Type 56 and AKM are of 7.62mm calibre.

Now granted, all of the above rifles are more than effective - especially the G-3, its a fantastic piece of kit that can always be relied upon.

But it is also a very heavy piece of kit that looses it's edge in close-quarter combat. It's big, heavy, slow to draw upon a snap target and 'lifts' heavily at full automatic fire.

We've already seen the US Army unofficially revert to the carbine M-4 and abandon the much larger M-16 in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even 7.62 GPMG guns like the M-60 and MG1A3 have been traded for the lighter, more flexible 5.56 Minimi now used by nearly all NATO forces.

In India, their special forces have opted for a Israeli 5.56mm 'bullpup' weapon.

Thus I ask if Pakistan too is considering a change in doctrine and adopting a lighter calibre service rifle? Or does 7.62 still give an advantage on the NWFP?

Just one thing about weight of G3, I think POF is on it and they have reduced its weight considerably, remember old wooden stock days, and lot of work is being done to reduce its weight without loosing its wit. Like use of cermaic and polymers(obviously not the barrel) but work is being done and I dont find any good reason to replace and exsistsing wepaon just for the fun of it, I mean just caliber cant be the reason in pakistan's case, new Gun must have some highly adavnced features that can carry us in next few decades.:pakistan:

Just one thing about weight of G3, I think POF is on it and they have reduced its weight considerably, remember old wooden stock days, and lot of work is being done to reduce its weight without loosing its wit. Like use of cermaic and polymers(obviously not the barrel) but work is being done and I dont find any good reason to replace and exsistsing wepaon just for the fun of it, I mean just caliber cant be the reason in pakistan's case, new Gun must have some highly adavnced features that can carry us in next few decades.:pakistan:

xishan786 If Pakistan can license produce it, how about the G-36?

Personally speaking...I am very drawn towards the HK G36E.

HK 417 would be my choice since it can take G3 mag as well! So, alot of benefits with the HK-417 IMHO.

Personally speaking...I am very drawn towards the HK G36E.

So am I, however, to change the 'standardized' 7.62mm calibre to a Nato approved lighter calibre weapon in the 5.56mm range would mean a major shift in the strategic ammunition reserves of the forces.

I would imagine that this (if considered) would be a gradual introduction.

what is this

7e4c46cf08dac0b80ee25eba57afc00f.jpeg

Barring the first soldier (who strangely) displays the Pakistani Flag, don't have any other markings of the Pakistan Army.
The camouflage also seems wrong. Perhaps I am mistaken.

They are the special services wing for the Pakistan Air Force.

Special Service Wing (SSW) is an independent commando division of the Pakistan Air Force. It is an elite special operations force similar based upon the US Air Force's Special Tactics unit and the US Army's Ranger unit. This the newest component to the Special Forces of Pakistan. The division is still being trained and built up which will initially field between 1,000 to 2,000 men in 1 Company and is expected to be combat ready soon.

Pakistan Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members of the Pakistani Air Force are training with F2000 rifles.

Yup, thats our favourite ! The one Shakut bhai is showing off with.

Back
Top Bottom