What's new

Pakistan Army Officially Inducted LY-80 MR-SAM System

Starstreak-2 will be good with Rapid fire mobile AAA system with capability to move with armor and capability to engage ground targets.

There are rumors that Pakistan is looking into Rapid Fire system

Latest air defence system for moving armor is Pantsyr SM an evolution of Pantsyr-S1/2 with 40km engagement range.

http://www.janes.com/article/64663/russia-s-pantsyr-sm-air-defence-system-ready-in-two-years
Starstreak is now being made by india under license so we missed that boat by the looks of it. Pantsir is a highly capable system so it Rapid Fire and we are going to test Korkut as well. There were rumors of Chinese ground CIWS as well!

Starstreak is now being made by india under license so we missed that boat by the looks of it. Pantsir is a highly capable system so it Rapid Fire and we are going to test Korkut as well. There were rumors of Chinese ground CIWS as well!

It is said that Rapid fire can carry SAMs too so with SR-SAM its very good to defend moving force from low level air born threats and munitions. It can be used to engage ground troops in secondary role.

Although Pantsyr SM looks best among gun + SRSAM systems as they can engage targets upto 40km and pretty good against munitions too.

According to ALIT website, each LY-80 system can have a minimum of 2 and maximum 4 batteries. As we know, Pakistan purchased 8 IBIS-150 radars in FY 2013-2014 and the LY-80 was purchased in two batches (3 batteries in FY 2013-14 and 6 batteries in FY 2014-15). So, total PA is getting 24 batteries (i.e. 8 systems with 3 batteries each). That means 24 x 4 x 6 = 576 missiles in ready-to-launch position. :-)
So that's 96 launchers?

Each covering 50 km area . Then 96 will cover 4800 km in a straight line

Very short range: Korkut will be tested in Pakistan
Short altitude: FM-90-Spada
Medium altitude: LY-80
Long Altitude: Maybe on desicion phase for FD-2000.

Pakistan has a good roadway in terms of SAM and aerial protection systems.
As I have read in sinodefence forum they have offered this to Iraq last year
So why not Pakistan but I should say if Pakistan is seriously looking for it they can have
It in no time

According to ALIT,

LY-80.png

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Does this mean 8 x 3 = 24 batteries for PA ?
Yes this is the max composition of 4 batteries per system. Pakistan bought 6 to 9 Batteries

Each System is composed of 12 to 16 launchers, and each battery is composed of 4 launchers..

Would you please give more information on the numbers you have used?

Last edited:
Pakistan needs to induct more systems and also increase number of batteries of current ones I mean HQ-7 and HQ-16 and also increase the speed of induction of systems from South Africa and Russia and other sources. We need to have our own Iron Shield

According to ALIT website, each LY-80 system can have a minimum of 2 and maximum 4 batteries. As we know, Pakistan purchased 8 IBIS-150 radars in FY 2013-2014 and the LY-80 was purchased in two batches (3 batteries in FY 2013-14 and 6 batteries in FY 2014-15). So, total PA is getting 24 batteries (i.e. 8 systems with 3 batteries each). That means 24 x 4 x 6 = 576 missiles in ready-to-launch position. :-)
That makes it a total of 9 batteries up till 2015!
Pakistan has added 15 batteries since then?

This system is not exactly HQ-16 it has been modified to Pakistani requirements.

That makes it a total of 9 batteries up till 2015!
Pakistan has added 15 batteries since then?

Official data for FY 2015-16 is not yet available.

Since Pakistan purchased 8 IBIS-150 radars for LY-80 in FY 2013-14 and each system has one search radar, it is safe to assume 8 x 3 = 24 batteries have been / will be acquired.

24 batteries will have 96 launchers. So total ready-to-launch missiles will be 576.

The Pakistan Army has inducted the Chinese LY-80 (HQ-16) medium-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system into service. Islamabad has made two separate orders for the system having ordered three HQ-16 systems and eight IBIS-150 radars in 2013-2014 for USD $225.77 million and $40 million respectively, and was followed up in 2014-2015 with a $373.23 million order for six additional HQ-16 systems. To augment their air-defense network, there are also plans to procure a long-range SAM system with CPMIEC HQ-9’s export variant, the FD-2000, considered the likeliest option as fiscal constraints may rule out Russian platforms such as the S-400.

As much as I want to find something to say about the deal but it is just executed very professionally that I can't find any thing negative at all.

Just timed well , ordered on time and we have the delivery and integration all done

If we can add Turkish System (Hisar-0 and Hisar-A) into the Pakistan Defence Shield model , these two systems can certainly add lot of Variety as second layer

Likely one of the models will evolve into High Altitude variant as well so lot of upside to the technology on these missiles as well

--------- HQ-9 (First Line)
----------HQ-19--------------
----------SPADA--------------
----------FM-90 (Second Line)
------Hisar-0--------Hisar-A (Supplimental Coverage)
------------Anza Layer-------(Infantary Division)
-------Anti Aircraft Layer Guns---------(Point Defence)

Shaping up nicely ..... very impressed with what Military has achived so far

Last edited:
Sir there is co-ordination between PAF and Army. I once asked a guy who served in Army (Air Defence) that why your radars are not always ON and he said we turn them on only when PAF notify us about a threat.

Yaar Army has what radars except the Girafe radars for the Orliekon guns ?

Plz share with me the name of the radars which Army has except those shown on each 23rd March parade which are for the 35mm Orliekon guns.

PAF already have this system.

Which system ??

8 batteries x 3 launchers in each battery x 6 missiles per launcher = (8x3x6) = 144 missiles ready in tubes

Even Air Defence systems used by Army and Navy are mainly controlled and managed by PAF Sir. These will also be managed by PAF

Are you guys really from PDF or know anything about Pakistan armed forces ??

Plz don't indulge in discussion if you don't know what you are talking about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom