What's new

Pakistan Army Information

thediplomat_2014-05-19_21-54-10.jpg

Image Credit: China Military Review
Pakistan Seeks Chinese Drones?
A new report suggests China may sell Pakistan armed drones. Indeed, it’d be surprising if it didn’t.
zachary-keck_q-36x36.jpg

By Zachary Keck for The Diplomat
May 20, 2014

A new report says that Pakistan may be seeking Chinese-made unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
According to a report in the most recent edition of the National Journal, Pakistan has recently unveiled drones that some believe are derived from Chinese drones.

“Already, Pakistan has remote-piloted aircraft,” the report notes. “Islamabad uses surveillance drones to provide the military with a real-time picture of its restive border areas or counterterrorism operations. Pakistan unveiled two new drones in November: Burraq, named after the winged horse from the heavens that transported Islamic prophets, and Shahpar.”

The National Journal report noted that Pakistan had claimed that both drones were domestically built and that neither would be armed. However, the report also points out, citing defense analysts, that the drones bear a close resemblance to the Chinese-made Rainbow CH-3. The Rainbow CH-3 is able to launch missiles.

Pakistan’s desire to acquire armed drones is no secret. It has urged the U.S. to sell it armed drones for years, which Washington has refused to do. The U.S. keeps a tight lock on the export of its armed drones.

According to the National Journal report, only the United Kingdom has been sold U.S. armed drones although certain other close U.S. allies—including France and Italy—may soon also fly American drones.

Israel also has armed drones but would be unlikely to export them to Pakistan given U.S. opposition and the fact that Islamabad is a Muslim country that has ties to some of Tel Aviv’s rivals in the Persian Gulf and wider Middle East.

Islamabad’s need for such drones is also clear. Pakistan’s military would almost certainly use the drones to target inward-focused terrorists operating in Pakistan’s far western region. It has been widely reported that the United States has, at times at least, aided in this effort by using its own drones to eliminate targets at the behest of the Pakistani military.

Having its own armed drones would allow Pakistan to intensify this effort, especially given the strong reluctance on the military’s part to execute a larger counterterrorism operation in the tribal areas where most inward-focused terrorists are believed to be taking refuge. Furthermore, Pakistan could use drones in cross-border operations against Afghanistan where some of the Pakistani terrorists could conceivably find sanctuary in the future should they be driven out of the tribal areas by Pakistan’s military.

It’s also not at all unlikely that China would willingly sell Pakistan armed drones. As The Diplomat has previously noted, China is expected to be by far the fastest growing UAV producer over the next five years. Although most of these drones will be destined for the People’s Liberation Army and other domestic users, Beijing has a clear desire to also use its growing drone market to increase defense exports. In fact, as noted earlier this month, China has already sold Saudi Arabia drones.

Moreover, China’s relationship with Pakistan is far stronger than its ties to Saudi Arabia. This is especially true when it comes to arms sales. Indeed, by some estimates, Pakistan purchased some 55 percent of China’s total defense exports between 2008 and 2012. These arm sales most certainly include advanced aircraft. Indeed, one of the largest defense projects between Pakistan and China is their joint development of the FC-1 Xiaolong/JF-17 Thunder multirole fighter jet, which Islamabad hopes to begin exporting as early as this year.

Therefore, although the report remains unconfirmed at this point, it would be surprising if China didn’t sell Pakistan armed drones in the coming years.

Hey Good Fellas, sorry that my query is not relevant to the forum's title because i am new to this forum. So, my question is that I have passed my initial academic and medical tests for PMA L/C and the next thing on my schedule is the physical test. Could you please share some real time experiences of initial physical tests, I mean I know the Run, Push Up and Chin up thingy, but I m really confused like is it acceptable that the chinups are not so perfect and please do tell something about ditch crossing, as in, is it really a 7.5 feet long jump? Looking forward to your replies...! Thanks.

Hey Good Fellas, sorry that my query is not relevant to the forum's title because i am new to this forum. So, my question is that I have passed my initial academic and medical tests for PMA L/C and the next thing on my schedule is the physical test. Could you please share some real time experiences of initial physical tests, I mean I know the Run, Push Up and Chin up thingy, but I m really confused like is it acceptable that the chinups are not so perfect and please do tell something about ditch crossing, as in, is it really a 7.5 feet long jump? Looking forward to your replies...! Thanks.

all i can say is do your best mate and Good Luck!

Type 69 MBT
Main Battle Tank (1982)

Authored By
Staff Writer | Last Updated: 6/17/2014

The Chinese-produced Type 69 Main Battle Tank - itself an evolution of the Soviet
T-54A - went on to see strong export numbers

Type 69 MBT
Main Battle Tank (1982)

The Type 69 Main Battle Tank (MBT) was a Chinese evolution of its own
Type 59 MBT series first appearing in 1959. Production of this vehicle spanned 1958 to 1985 to which some 9,500 examples were acquired. Both the Type 69 and Type 59 owed their existence to the original Soviet-era T-54A model series, this system being introduced in 1946 and setting the groundwork for the upcoming T-55 family line. The Type 69 entered service in 1982 and remains operationally active, having seen combat service during the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988), the Gulf War (1990-1991) and the Iraq War (2003-2011) (with the Iraqi Army).
The vehicle emerged from design in a prototype form fitting an all-new diesel engine of 580 horsepower. An InfraRed (IR) searchlight was added as was a laser rangefinder to broaden tactical capabilities. The gun was of 100mm caliber and of smoothbore design. Another prototype, the Type 69-I was brought along the lines of the Soviet T-62 MBT and this included its own searchlight design as well as a much improved NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suite.
Initial production models were designated simply and collectively as "Type 69" and included the first-run Type 69-IIA model of 1982. A new Fire Control System (FCS) was installed for accuracy that included twin-axis stabilization, a ballistics computer and laser rangefinder. Smoke grenade launchers were standard fittings.
The Type 69-IIB/C models were command tank forms with additional communications equipment for their battlefield role. An auxiliary power supply was also added to run the applicable systems apart from the main power generator. The Type 653 ARV was an Armored Recovery Vehicle form based on the chassis of the Type 69 MBT - lacking its traversing turret but fielding a heavy duty powered crane and dozer blade.
The basic design was a 40.5 ton steel beast with a n overall length of 8.85 meters and a width of 3.3 meters to go along with a height of 2.8 meters. As in the T-54, the Type 69 was crewed by four personnel made up of the driver, commander, gunner and loader. Armor protection reached 203mm in thickness across the various facings while power was served through a Type 12150L-7BW V12 diesel-fueled engine of 580 horsepower. The hull sat atop a torsion bar suspension system and, coupled with the powerpack, allowed for an operational range out to 440 kilometers with a maximum road speed of 50 kmh. Primary armament was a 100mm smoothbore main gun with a 7.62mm machine gun in a coaxial fitting. A 12.7mm anti-aircraft heavy machine gun could be installed on the turret roof as optional.
From the Type 69-II line came the Type 69-III - also known as the "Type 79". Pilot vehicles emerged in the early 1980s with production beginning in 1984. Chief modifications to the line included "Westernized" equipment such as a 105mm rifled main gun based on the excellent British L7 model. NBC protection was improved as was the FCS.
Power was served through a diesel-fueled engine of 730 horsepower output. In time, these vehicles also supported
the use of Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) blocks for improved protection against tank-killing missiles.

Operators of the Type 69 (beyond the Chinese Army) have included Bangladesh, Burma, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Sudan. The Iraqi Army operated hundreds of Type 69 tanks though all have since been lost in combat or scrapped.

Iraqi Army forms included the Type 69-QM, the Type 69-QM1 and the Type 69-QM2. All were collectively nestled under the "T-55B" designation. The QM featured a 100mm rifled main gun with additional frontal armor protection and support for optional ERA blocks. The QM1 featured the 105mm L7-based rifle main gun as well as a laser rangefinder. The QM2 sported the massive 125mm smoothbore main gun popular with the leading Soviet/Russian combat tanks. A laser rangefinder was also standard.
At least 4,500 total Type 69 / Type 79 tanks were eventually produced across all mentioned marks.
Text ©2003-2014
Military Factory - Military Weapons - Aircraft, Tanks, Vehicles, Artillery, Navy Ships and Guns throughout history All Rights Reserved. No Reproduction Permitted. Email

corrections/comments to
MilitaryFactory at Gmail dot com. Material presented throughout this website is for historicaland entertainment value and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance or generaloperation. Consult manufacturers directly for such information.

Specifications for the
Type 69 MBT Main Battle Tank

Country of Origin:

China

Manufacturer:

China NORth INdustries COrporation (NORINCO) - China

Initial Year of Service:

Production:

Focus Model:

Type 69 MBT

Crew:

Overall Length:

29.04ft (8.85m)

Width:

10.83ft (3.30m)

Height:

9.19ft (2.80m)

Weight:

40.5 US Short Tons (36,700kg; 80,910lbs)

Powerplant:

1 x Type 12150L-7BW V-12 diesel engine generating 580 horsepower @ 2,000rpm.

Maximum Speed:

31mph (50 km/h)

Maximum Range:

273 miles (440 km)

NBC Protection:

Yes

Nightvision:

Yes - Infrared

Armament:

STANDARD:
1 x 100mm smoothbore main gun OR 105mm rifled main gun.
1 x 7.62mm coaxial machine gun
12 x Smoke Grenade Dischargers (if equipped)
OPTIONAL:
1 x 12.7mm anti-aircraft machine gun
Ammunition:

34 x 100mm projectiles
500 x 12.7mm ammunition (if equipped)
3,000 x 7.62mm ammunition
12 x Smoke Grenades (if equipped)
Variants:

Type 69 - Prototype
Type 69-I - Prototype; Smoothbore main gun.
Type 69-II - Base Production Model; Rifled main gun.
Type 69-II-B/C - Command Version
Type 69-III (Type 79) - Improved Type 69-II
Operators:

Albania; Bangladesh; Burma; China; Iran; Iraq; Myanmar; Pakistan; Thailand; Sri Lanka; Zimbabwe; Sudan

D44 or type56.jpg

D-44 or Type-56 Field Gun

D44.jpg

D-44

type56.jpg

Type-56 Field Gun

@fatman17

Fatman, I had one question regard Pakistan Army.

So, what constitute as "reserves" in Pakistan Army?

In Israel for example, after highschool, teens get three years of military service and get regarded as "reserves"...

How do reserves work in Pakistan? Are our reserves professional, all time soldiers who are just not "on-duty"? Or they are people with some military training but are basically civilians doing jobs like computer science, working in schools etc..and can be called upon if the need arises?

Please clarify..

@Windjammer @Aeronaut @Hyperion @Dazzler

Reserves are usually retired soldiers who still can be called up for service.

In addition there are less trained paramilitary forces like mujahid force. There training is basic.

@fatman17

Fatman, I had one question regard Pakistan Army.

So, what constitute as "reserves" in Pakistan Army?

In Israel for example, after highschool, teens get three years of military service and get regarded as "reserves"...

How do reserves work in Pakistan? Are our reserves professional, all time soldiers who are just not "on-duty"? Or they are people with some military training but are basically civilians doing jobs like computer science, working in schools etc..and can be called upon if the need arises?

Please clarify..

@Windjammer @Aeronaut @Hyperion @Dazzler

retired officers and soldiers between the ages of 40-60 who are physically fit.

retired officers and soldiers between the ages of 40-60 who are physically fit.

So each army in the world has different standards when it comes to "reserves"?

Israel has different definition of "reserves", U.S has different one, and in Pakistan..its basically retired people?

So each army in the world has different standards when it comes to "reserves"?

Israel has different definition of "reserves", U.S has different one, and in Pakistan..its basically retired people?

yes no active reserves. no 3 week reporting etc.

yes no active reserves. no 3 week reporting etc.

What do you think..is it a better/superior method of reserves or no?

I was wondering: In israel, people with just 3 years of military experience as "reserves"...which isn't enough.

In Pakistan however, reserves are people with massive military experience...even more so than active personnel...

But at the age of 40+, endurance and fitness is questionable.

What do you? Are Pakistani reserves more effective/useless than say Israeli reserves? or vice versa?

What do you think..is it a better/superior method of reserves or no?

I was wondering: In israel, people with just 3 years of military experience as "reserves"...which isn't enough.

In Pakistan however, reserves are people with massive military experience...even more so than active personnel...

But at the age of 40+, endurance and fitness is questionable.

What do you? Are Pakistani reserves more effective/useless than say Israeli reserves? or vice versa?

order of importance:

1. front-line troops(500,000)
2. para-militaries (FC, Pakistan Rangers, National Guard, Police etc) (200,000-300,000)
3. reserves (retired personel) (500,000) - last ditch effort.

reserves have never been used in actual battle.

very expensive to maintain active reserves.

order of importance:

1. front-line troops(500,000)
2. para-militaries (FC, Pakistan Rangers, National Guard, Police etc) (200,000-300,000)
3. reserves (retired personel) (500,000) - last ditch effort.

reserves have never been used in actual battle.

very expensive to maintain active reserves.

Janaab over here Paramilitary forces of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it states that even the Paramilitary forces are in excess of 400,000 personnel let alone including the Police in it with only the Punjab police as much as 180,000 Punjab Police (Pakistan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ! :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom