What's new

PAF possibly testing 'Aerostats' radars

Bismillah ir Rahman ar Raheem

My understanding was that the primary damage caused is by low-flying aircraft/missiles hitting the tethering cables or the balloon itself and crashing into the ground due to loss of trajectory control and/or damage to control surfaces.

Impact fuses will probably actuate the missile; maybe not all INS/GPS-guided ones. Barrage balloons are ineffective against ballistic trajectories or high-flying aircraft.

Appreciate it if you can enlighten on this point.

Thanks
If they carry radars on board, they are meant for detecting very low flying aircrafts and missiles, closing the very low altitude detection that most land radars lack..
They can also carry surveillance cameras or meteorological sensors, and might carry flares to counter low flying missiles..

What about the use of gps jamming by tethered balloons. gps guided bombs-missiles have recievers at the back or above the fuselage. Ground based jammers employ a strong signal to jam disrupt gps satellite signals. By means of filtering out the strong signals the bombs or missiles can overcome the gps jammers. If a weaker signal coming from above just like satellites send it would be more effective in my opinion but only at terminal phase while bomb is below the balloon.

If they carry radars on board, they are meant for detecting very low flying aircrafts and missiles, closing the very low altitude detection that most land radars lack..
They can also carry surveillance cameras or meteorological sensors, and might carry flares to counter low flying missiles..
not what I was replying to:

"Bilal Khan 777 said:
A CM would likely actuate if it hits one of these."

but thanks for re-iterating the differentiation between aerostats and barrage balloons.

Back
Top Bottom