What's new

PAF possibly testing 'Aerostats' radars

They complement other radars in detecting low and very low flying aircrafts or missiles..They cover this particular blind spot of most other radars..

If you had seen air defence deployed around Kahota with Croatal SAM & AAAs, there were similar Balloons deployed with those.
Those were not for radars but being used as barrage balloons to defend against enemy aircraft attack , mainly strafing.

I lived in the area where one of the unit was stationed and the balloons were stored. Every morning they would test and train on few balloons. Unwrapping, filling , controlling and then wrapping it back down into racks. And this was from 2001-02 time. They would supply to various locations, but by that time my understanding was that the balloons were used only for designating an area no fly zone. I never saw, or knew any radar like attachment with the balloon itself.

I think these are just barrage balloons (not with any radar) for air defense only.

Yup, that is pretty much all they are. The idea is as old as WW1 and is called barrage balloons.
They discourage low level flying.
these are air defence balloons, nothing more.

Gentlemen, these may as well be what you suggested, albeit one would expect to see them deployed in clusters rather than just one being visible in satellite imagery, however I must also draw your attention to this news item.

http://m.aviationweek.com/awin/pakistan-requests-aerostat-l-88-radar-system

Those were not for radars but being used as barrage balloons to defend against enemy aircraft attack , mainly strafing.

How you can confirm that pics are of Radars not barrage balloons?

A CM would likely actuate if it hits one of these.
Bismillah ir Rahman ar Raheem

My understanding was that the primary damage caused is by low-flying aircraft/missiles hitting the tethering cables or the balloon itself and crashing into the ground due to loss of trajectory control and/or damage to control surfaces.

Impact fuses will probably actuate the missile; maybe not all INS/GPS-guided ones. Barrage balloons are ineffective against ballistic trajectories or high-flying aircraft.

Appreciate it if you can enlighten on this point.

Thanks

Three balloons now noticed at Peshawar Air Base.

CzzDHI8XUAAR8Zk.jpg

If that sale had occurred, we would know via Sipri and Dsca announcements.
Bro, Direct Commercial Sales do not go via DSCA, and neither are all reported by Sipri. Loopholes do exist.

Back
Top Bottom