What's new

PAF possibly testing 'Aerostats' radars

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Recent images emerging from various bases suggest that the PAF may be testing barrage ballon based Aerostats radars. Earlier such systems were operational over Kahuta.

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

@Windjammer @ACE OF THE AIR @The Eagle please elaborate Aerostate radars..

Current operations, for an idea only.

The primary mission is to provide low-level radar surveillance along the southwest border of the United States and Mexico, the Straits of Florida and the Caribbean in support of federal agencies involved in the nation's drug interdiction program. The secondary mission is to provide North American Aerospace Defense Command with low-level surveillance coverage for air sovereignty in the Florida Straits. The aerostat radar data is available to NORAD and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Beginning in the late 1990s, the aerostat sites were equipped with Lockheed Martin 420K aerostats. This blimp carries the Lockheed Martin L-88 as its primary payload, a surveillance radar with a range of 370 km (200 nm). The 420K's envelope shape, fin design, and cable attachment points are further optimized for high aerodynamic stability and easy ground handling. While Lockheed Martin is the prime contractor for the 420K aerostats, the envelopes are built by ILC Dover.

@Windjammer hopefully, pics made it here through proper channel. A message?

And as reported back then....

http://m.aviationweek.com/awin/pakistan-requests-aerostat-l-88-radar-system

i want to listen seniors so i can lear something about it:-)

Actually PAF has COMPOSITE FORCE HQ in Kahuta under which 6016 BBU along with other sqns falls guys living near to kahuta may remeber that till 2011 they often saw Balloons up in sky approx 40+ of them then the unit started to disband and No balloons were raised till 2015 I dont know currunt status but I guess they have started the sqn again.
My Input :enjoy:

If you had seen air defence deployed around Kahota with Croatal SAM & AAAs, there were similar Balloons deployed with those.
i lived there in kahuta and saw those ballons every day, but they were just ballons for making that place no fly zone. there were no instrument attached to that ballons.

There is no confirmation from PAF and ISPR so this is just rumour and guess work.

Recent images emerging from various bases suggest that the PAF may be testing barrage ballon based Aerostats radars. Earlier such systems were operational over Kahuta.

Sir, I believe these have been used for a long time now. Once, about 2-3 years ago, an Indian guy on Alert5 (apparently an SU-30 pilot) posted an image taken from the jet as he turned away close to the Indian-Pakistani border off Lahore I believe. And you could clearly see an Aerostat radar.

i lived there in kahuta and saw those ballons every day, but they were just ballons for making that place no fly zone. there were no instrument attached to that ballons.
Yup, that is pretty much all they are. The idea is as old as WW1 and is called barrage balloons.
They discourage low level flying.

Back
Top Bottom