What's new

PAF in Libya during US confrontation

Did the Pakistani pilots tell the U.S. pilots that they were Pakistani? Or did the U.S. pilots let them get really close cause that looked like 200 feet from a distance.
I have no idea but perhaps there are gestures by the pilot/aircraft made during dog fights to show their intentions. If aircraft starts running away, mostly the other won't chase it too much. For example recently a chinese J-11 intercepted US EP6 or some other reconnaissance aircraft and showed its belly with A2A missiles and stuff so that it knows it can shoot it down.

Qaddafi was a scumbag . he actively supported terrorists Like Al Zulfiqar against Pakistan during Zia era. he was after all in the soviet camp. I cant understand how Pakistani pilots could be there when we had no military relations with them.

Exactly....!!

I have no idea but perhaps there are gestures by the pilot/aircraft made during dog fights to show their intentions. If aircraft starts running away, mostly the other won't chase it too much. For example recently a chinese J-11 intercepted US EP6 or some other reconnaissance aircraft and showed its belly with A2A missiles and stuff so that it knows it can shoot it down.

Probably. Considering there have been tensions between Libya and the U.S. Shooting down Libyan aircraft and bombing Libya. Not something to let them that close at the time.

Lol this whole story is strange
not buying it

I dont understand this
Qaddafi was a scumbag . he actively supported terrorists Like Al Zulfiqar against Pakistan during Zia era. he was after all in the soviet camp. I cant understand how Pakistani pilots could be there when we had no military relations with them
if its the time when Americans launched an attack on his Palace killing some of his family members then I can safely say we were at odds with Libyans..
PAF history and later the narrative, ''A Fighter pilot remembers'' clearly mention PAF being in Libya during that period.
Even the official Libyan air force discloses the PAF connection. And if you recall we ended buying some Libyan Mirages in 90s.

Prior to arrival of first Mirage 5s in Libya, a major installation for their maintenance, training of crews and storage of weapons and spares was set-up at the former RAF el-Adem airfield, now renamed into Gamal Abdel Nasser AB. aside from French, also a number of Pakistani pilots were contracted to support the training of Libyan and Egyptian Mirage-pilots in Libya.

@Tipu7
This is the actual HUD shot from the PAF F-16 showing shooting down of the Soviet SU-25.

attachment.php

Pakistan was titled as Fortress of Islam by Qaddafi ......
We named our best cricket stadium after him.
We have seen many ups & downs in relations with Libya as Qaddafi was supporter of pro Bhutto rule in Pakistan......
Lol this whole story is strange
not buying it

I dont understand this
Qaddafi was a scumbag . he actively supported terrorists Like Al Zulfiqar against Pakistan during Zia era. he was after all in the soviet camp. I cant understand how Pakistani pilots could be there when we had no military relations with them
if its the time when Americans launched an attack on his Palace killing some of his family members then I can safely say we were at odds with Libyans..

I've heard in the Iraq war the Iraqi pilots that gave the Americans the most trouble were the ones trained by the PAF.
Nope.
They were war veterans of Iran-Iraq war.....

Pakistan was titled as Fortress of Islam by Qaddafi ......
We named our best cricket stadium after him.
We have seen many ups & downs in relations with Libya as Qaddafi was supporter of pro Bhutto rule in Pakistan......

Nope.
They were war veterans of Iran-Iraq war.....
One thing all Pakistanis should understand. Things are not as "Ummah" as we think. There are 4 partitions in Muslim world and it is a general law of cooperation between different Muslim countries.

1- Wahabbi Block (KSA, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait etc)
2- Shia Block (Iran, Syria, Kurds, Hezbollah etc)
3- Sunnis (Pakistan, Turkey, Jordan, Nigeria, Libya, "SYRIA", Indonesia, CARs etc)
4- Arab nationalism against Israel (Jordan, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Egypt among which major enemies of Israel are neutralized by proxies and direct invasions)

There are many countries with sunni population and shia governments or vice versa. Major diplomacy works on this principle which i stated above. Anyone can notice this factor if deeply study the near-past history. The shia and salafi factors against Sunnis and salafis against shias are problems we are still unable to identify. Ummah can be created but first of all we have to undo the plotting made by colonial powers and makers of TW Lawrence. Many Sunni dictators of Arab were bend towards Russia because deobandi Gen Zia ul Haq was in favor of America. We guys cannot watch the things as Arabs or Turks watch it. KSA and other salafis are close allies of each other. Iran helps all shia populations in the world and use them for their plans. Pure Sunni regimes help the Sunni agenda. It is we Pakistanis who consider this science as "sectarianism". This is not sectarianism but reality!

I know this.
When that title was given, work was on peak to develop common Islamic block which resulted in OIC.
One thing all Pakistanis should understand. Things are not as "Ummah" as we think. There are 4 partitions in Muslim world and it is a general law of cooperation between different Muslim countries.

3- Sunnis (Pakistan, Turkey, Jordan, Nigeria, Libya, "SYRIA", Indonesia, CARs etc)
4- Arab nationalism against Israel (Jordan, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Egypt among which major enemies of Israel are neutralized by proxies and direct invasions)

There are many countries with sunni population and shia governments or vice versa. Major diplomacy works on this principle which i stated above. Anyone can notice this factor if deeply study the near-past history. The shia and salafi factors against Sunnis and salafis against shias are problems we are still unable to identify. Ummah can be created but first of all we have to undo the plotting made by colonial powers and makers of TW Lawrence. Many Sunni dictators of Arab were bend towards Russia because deobandi Gen Zia ul Haq was in favor of America. We guys cannot watch the things as Arabs or Turks watch it. KSA and other salafis are close allies of each other. Iran helps all shia populations in the world and use them for their plans. Pure Sunni regimes help the Sunni agenda. It is we Pakistanis who consider this science as "sectarianism". This is not sectarianism but reality!

Ummah is impossible to achieve in current scenario.
What can be achieved is a nation state based on Islam and then a lose alliance of likeminded states with common defence minus USA. The reason why Saudi led anti terror alliance will never take off is because it is under patronisation of US with only one way traffic.

What the hell ???? I never knew of this ? With How many Air Forces of the world we had encounters with ?

What the hell ???? I never knew of this ? With How many Air Forces of the world we had encounters with ?
May be 2 or 3.
May be 2 or 3.

It's a well established fact that in the 70s and 80s, PAF was very much present in the Middle East and North Africa.
In some of these countries, PAF was virtually running the show. Libya was one such example whose Mirage squadrons were mainly managed by ex or deputed PAF personal. In mid 80s, Libyan President, Colonel Qaddafi was in direct confrontation with US . Initially USAF F-111s based in UK carried out bombing raids hitting a Libyan airfield, later there was an issue with USN aircraft operating from aircraft carriers involved in border violations, the aircraft carriers were also allegedly patrolling within Libyan sea lanes. During these hostilities, a couple of Libyan MiG fighters were shot down by USN F-14 Tomcats. Historians have it that it was after these incidents, the Libyan leader personally approached the PAF contingent and requested them to bomb the American ships. The PAF was obviously having none of it however it continued with it's duties of flying regular missions including CAPs.
Although no further fighting took place but reportedly aircraft from both sides did confront each other, it's said that on 12 February 1986, PAF pilots flying in Libyan Mirages came across a pair of USN F/A 18 Hornets and although no air combat took place but both sides played Cat and Mouse with each other, the PAF pilots getting the better of the Hornets and returned to base with following gun camera images.
Note : Claims and detail provided by source.!!! @Oscar , @Horus @waz @Irfan Baloch. If there are any discrepancies, then kindly rectify them or if not appropriate, then delete the thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A claim is made that these pics were captured by Libyan Pilot named colonel saed el mesmary while intercepting USN FA18 Hornet. Here is pic of him with his Mirage. You gotta dig this case bit more, Incident did take place but who was flying the Mirage is real question ............

13620331_638961302947908_8546775532585446295_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom