What's new

PAF in Libya during US confrontation

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
It's a well established fact that in the 70s and 80s, PAF was very much present in the Middle East and North Africa.
In some of these countries, PAF was virtually running the show. Libya was one such example whose Mirage squadrons were mainly managed by ex or deputed PAF personal. In mid 80s, Libyan President, Colonel Qaddafi was in direct confrontation with US . Initially USAF F-111s based in UK carried out bombing raids hitting a Libyan airfield, later there was an issue with USN aircraft operating from aircraft carriers involved in border violations, the aircraft carriers were also allegedly patrolling within Libyan sea lanes. During these hostilities, a couple of Libyan MiG fighters were shot down by USN F-14 Tomcats. Historians have it that it was after these incidents, the Libyan leader personally approached the PAF contingent and requested them to bomb the American ships. The PAF was obviously having none of it however it continued with it's duties of flying regular missions including CAPs.
Although no further fighting took place but reportedly aircraft from both sides did confront each other, it's said that on 12 February 1986, PAF pilots flying in Libyan Mirages came across a pair of USN F/A 18 Hornets and although no air combat took place but both sides played Cat and Mouse with each other, the PAF pilots getting the better of the Hornets and returned to base with following gun camera images.
Note : Claims and detail provided by source.!!! @Oscar , @Horus @waz @Irfan Baloch. If there are any discrepancies, then kindly rectify them or if not appropriate, then delete the thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pakistan always play good role for USA but US could not do good for Pakistan.

What the hell ???? I never knew of this ? With How many Air Forces of the world we had encounters with ?

What the hell ???? I never knew of this ? With How many Air Forces of the world we had encounters with ?

It's a well established fact that in the 70s and 80s, PAF was very much present in the Middle East and North Africa.
In some of these countries, PAF was virtually running the show. Libya was one such example whose Mirage squadrons were mainly managed by ex or deputed PAF personal. In mid 80s, Libyan President, Colonel Qaddafi was in direct confrontation with US . Initially USAF F-111s based in UK carried out bombing raids hitting a Libyan airfield, later there was an issue with USN aircraft operating from aircraft carriers involved in border violations, the aircraft carriers were also allegedly patrolling within Libyan sea lanes. During these hostilities, a couple of Libyan MiG fighters were shot down by USN F-14 Tomcats. Historians have it that it was after these incidents, the Libyan leader personally approached the PAF contingent and requested them to bomb the American ships. The PAF was obviously having none of it however it continued with it's duties of flying regular missions including CAPs.
Although no further fighting took place but reportedly aircraft from both sides did confront each other, it's said that on 12 February 1986, PAF pilots flying in Libyan Mirages came across a pair of USN F/A 18 Hornets and although no air combat took place but both sides played Cat and Mouse with each other, the PAF pilots getting the better of the Hornets and returned to base with following gun camera images.
Note : Claims and detail provided by source.!!! @Oscar , @Horus @waz @Irfan Baloch. If there are any discrepancies, then kindly rectify them or if not appropriate, then delete the thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pakistani pilots in Libyan aircraft? Why were they not shot down?

One could ask why the American aircraft weren't taken out since they seem to be at receiving end.
I doubt the Americans knew that it were PAF pilots in the Mirages but my guess is they didn't want to escalate hostilities after wrist slapping Qaddafi.

Lol

PAF vs Rest of World :lol:

Not far off it. :)

paf-kills-record.jpg

Pakistan Air Force pilots are well known trained professionals and are treated with Respect all over the World...That is why PAF Pilots were selected to go to many African and Asian countries most notably Libya, Syria and Zimbabwe.

One could ask why the American aircraft weren't taken out since they seem to be at receiving end.
I doubt the Americans knew that it were PAF pilots in the Mirages but my guess is they didn't want to escalate hostilities after wrist slapping Qaddafi.

paf-kills-record.jpg

Okay, I figure they just shoot the missiles when they detected them. Just like the F-14s that shot down the Libyan aircraft.

Wrong question, if you read the OP correctly, you will find that it was PAF pilots getting better of the F-18 hornets and the appropriate question will be then why did they not shoot them down and the simple answer is that Pakistan has always been benevolent to uncle sam and did not want its pet to feel sad.

Last edited:
Wrong question, if you read the OP correctly, you will find that it was PAF pilot getting better of the F-18 hornets and the appropriate question will be then why did they not shoot them down and the simple answer is that Pakistan has always be benovalent of uncel sam and did not want its pet to feel sad.

Did the Pakistani pilots tell the U.S. pilots that they were Pakistani? Or did the U.S. pilots let them get really close cause that looked like 200 feet from a distance.

Did the Pakistani pilots tell the U.S. pilots that they were Pakistani? Or did the U.S. pilots let them get really close cause that looked like 200 feet from a distance.
Lol this whole story is strange
not buying it

paf-kills-record.jpg
I dont understand this
Qaddafi was a scumbag . he actively supported terrorists Like Al Zulfiqar against Pakistan during Zia era. he was after all in the soviet camp. I cant understand how Pakistani pilots could be there when we had no military relations with them
if its the time when Americans launched an attack on his Palace killing some of his family members then I can safely say we were at odds with Libyans..

Back
Top Bottom