What's new

PAF Chief in China to discuss upgradation of JF-17, plans to acquire 200 fighters

NO IFR probe as of now ....

We have seen at least two JF-17 planes with IFR Probes.

1809997760.jpg

JF-17_109.jpg

but than there are planes labeled as block 2 but without IFR probes so cannot be very sure.

HOWEVER, the below statement from Air Commodore Ahsan Rafiq, Deputy Chief Project Director (Operations) JF-17 and a former commanding officer of the JF-17 Test and Evaluation Unit may help, :)
He describer the JF-17 Block 2 as "an upgraded Block 1 with an air-to-air refuelling (AAR) probe, enhanced oxygen system [to allow the pilot to stay in the air longer], and improved electronic countermeasures system (ECS)".

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has a contract for 50 Block 2 JF-17s but as Air Cdre Ahsan pointed out, "the full AAR system will not appear until the 29th jet, which should fly later this year
Block 2 JF-17 makes first flight ahead of Block 3 improvements - IHS Jane's 360

We are not pakistan to do painting job.This is INS Vikrant which your master china not yet catch of that matter

View attachment 227059

This tiny empty shell is presently stuck in mud.

Let us know when it is finally undocked.

For your information, China's CV 17 is taking up shape nicely at Dalian Shipyard and will be comissioned before Vikrant is. Want a bet on this?

And don't forget that the Vikrant which uses American power plants, Russian aviation equipments and CIWS, Israel radar and missiles, and other foreign imputs),can hardly be called "indigenous“。:D

Which bit of your Navy is Indian?

Engines?Propulsion system? Fire control and command system?Radars? Air-defence missiles? Guns? CIWS? Torpedoes? Steel?

Even the "famed"(in the mind of Indians) Brahmos is only 10% Indian by value.:D

Oh no you done it now...now they are gonna put in it their extra spicy curry masala just for you...

It has been active for some time if I am not mistaken. Remember China offered 50 fly away JF-17's a few years back.

Correct.
Time is of the essence...Wise men always manage time to their advantage.

I still think the Indians are not going to buy Rafale because it does not jive them any advantage. All they wanted from France was to get info on how to make LCA (Tejas) fly. The French gave HAL new wind tunnel and redesigned the delta wing the aircraft could now fly. The problem was the engine which came from USA, Why INDIA went for this because F-18 can not be sold to Pakistan. (Australia had offered F-18 to Pakistan.)

Now India is in trouble if they go for Tejas only and not buy some Rafale,France may not help them in other projects.
PAKFA will take about 5-7 yrs for it to reach India with the tall Russian order that is to be finished before export can start.

What JF-17 blk 3 would look like is still a long wait so it can not be compared with 5th Gen but it would be enough for the existing inventory of India.

Now if PAF gets a 5th Gen by lets say 5-6 yrs then it is big bonus.

If you have read the latest article on F-22's role against ISIS then you would know what the Jf-17's can achieve with J-31.

PAF requires a replacement for Mirages but still JF-17 is supposed to replace them. PAF also require a heavy fighter.

Though I would love to see that PAF replaces F-16 with Turkish Fighter X. Then Pakistan would have 2 5th Gen fighter aircraft giving high and low mix. The only issue would be the cost.
Yeah, looks like I am still too optimistic to Hindustan aviation industry.
Yes JF17 is a reliable and potential platform, avionics have many oppotunities to upgrade. In my pressumption these schemes could be accept if it could be done within five years. The new JF17 could be counted that parallel to F16I or 60+.
Pakistan has an advantage which hard for Indian nevertheless very deadly for them, when the war occurs. Modern ground battle and air battle all consist huge consumptions and casualties of both sides. Without self industry to manufacture supplement, lose one is really a loss. Lad you have pointed out that rafale is a remarked sample(let alone its maintainence is so hard and sophisticated, how many planes still could fly in the war? :)) Just like a guardian keep a cluster of golden eagles as pets.

Last edited:
Apart from all wish lists our respected members have, the only thing PAF decided long ago is to have a mix of maximum three variant's in its inventory. This means three types to be operated in next decade, for that what I see is JF-17 as its main stay replacing all Mirages, F-7's and A-5 with Thunder. Second will be F-16's mainly with MLU as they are cheap to acquire and third will be JF-31 with hell a lot of modifications as compared to the object we have seen during Zuhai's air show, that was just a sample or idea of what we be would be having. FC-31 is being re-modified for its rear part as its the weakest for having stealth features, AESA generation 2 radars are being designed for it, which are a smaller version what China has in J-20. New EOTS, jamming systems and HUD system being requested by PAF. The capabilities of stealth are not just in shape it had to have new technologies in it .

Sir,
F-16's for how long would have a competitive advantage against IAF?
They would also be required to be replaced hence by what and how many is still unanswered. More F-16's would not add any new capability only tend to give a numerical advantage (this is also a 'Big If' because of USA can not allow Pakistan to have quantitative superiority against India).

USA is not going to sell its F-35's to Pakistan which is the natural replacement of F-16's. Pakistan has to find a single engine 5th Generation aircraft or start a new project themselves.

First you need to learn to distinguish. He's not a PAF officer but commander of Emirates Air Force.
and second he needs to learn is that the pilot doesnt give a damn he might choose NOT to brush his teeth even. yet he has the privilege to fly F-16s, and bed as many socialites he likes that flock in his country from all around the world including Bollywood actresses.

Sir,
F-16's for how long would have a competitive advantage against IAF?
They would also be required to be replaced hence by what and how many is still unanswered. More F-16's would not add any new capability only tend to give a numerical advantage (this is also a 'Big If' because of USA can not allow Pakistan to have quantitative superiority against India).

USA is not going to sell its F-35's to Pakistan which is the natural replacement of F-16's. Pakistan has to find a single engine 5th Generation aircraft or start a new project themselves.
US has a habbit of not serving its friends like us in first place, but when they see money going in some other kitty they offer the same you've be asking for years. Take the AH-1Z example they approved it over night as soon as they saw we are going for Atak or WZ-10 for sure they fetched the deal approving without any hitch, same is the case with FC-20 they supplied all kits and approval for MLU and extra defence articles we asked for.
I am not certain in case of F-35 as its their jewel in the crown at the moment and even not fully ready, and we would also not go for it in near future as no such money in hand, Going for FC-31 will tease them a lot as to some extent this bird is going to over come all 4th generation aircraft which they would never like for their F-16/15 and 18's. Specially the FC-31 which is a sort of hacked technology on F-35 project, it can make a lot of difference in this region for the price paid. US has now even offered us their F-15's directly and F-18's through Australia to fetch the money we have for FC-31

We have seen at least two JF-17 planes with IFR Probes.

1809997760.jpg

JF-17_109.jpg

but than there are planes labeled as block 2 but without IFR probes so cannot be very sure.

HOWEVER, the below statement from Air Commodore Ahsan Rafiq, Deputy Chief Project Director (Operations) JF-17 and a former commanding officer of the JF-17 Test and Evaluation Unit may help, :)
He describer the JF-17 Block 2 as "an upgraded Block 1 with an air-to-air refuelling (AAR) probe, enhanced oxygen system [to allow the pilot to stay in the air longer], and improved electronic countermeasures system (ECS)".

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has a contract for 50 Block 2 JF-17s but as Air Cdre Ahsan pointed out, "the full AAR system will not appear until the 29th jet, which should fly later this year
Block 2 JF-17 makes first flight ahead of Block 3 improvements - IHS Jane's 360

Sir I am aware of all that, what I meant to say in previous post that there is no IFR installed on any blk-II yet

Sir I am aware of all, what I meant to say in that post there is no IFR installed on any blk-II yet

it'll be installed when 29 Block II jets will come out and rolling the sky....

Pakistan has been offered many packages by USA for its scrap and other, but with a lot of strings attached. Oldest F-16's from Air National guard, Australian F-18's used American F-15;s but PAF has become very choosy, and does not avail except the F-16's with above average life left in it, specially twin engines aircraft's. Jordanian F-16's were a lucky pick. Pakistan should also go for F-15's as they are the sky ruler fighters. We still have 22 kits available for MLU of any F-16's we might get.
Most disappointing rejection was the Dutch F-16's . as our PAF team declared them more advanced then required. It was 2 years back i think, can search and find out its cutting's. The general thinking come's out that PAF is in no hurry.
I don't know when this hurry will happen, as IAF inducted 200+ SU-30 in its arsenal and looking for more

What else can be said for those who do not accept free offers, as China offered us a free squadron of 18 FC-20/J-10'b for the contribution we made to help improve and re design the plane. Mainly DSI intake and rear tail Flaps were Re designed by our engineers's for PAF use. The moving parts in J-10A intake proves costly and a maintenance hazard before every flight. The upgrade in avionics section is un accountable as still e scan technology for JF-17 is still being developed by Kaamra for its partial e-scan and cooling problems.The KLJ-7 has become KLJ-7V2 with our help.

Posted by GUFI in other thread

Air Chief visits 24 Air Div at Tianjin in China
Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman was given a briefing about latest J-10 fighter aircraft and its capabilities.

Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman visited 24 Air Div at Tianjin in China.

He was given a briefing about the working of the Div and Chinese latest J-10 fighter aircraft and its capabilities.

The Air Chief also witnessed the aerobatics of J-10 aircraft by the famous Ba Yi aerobatics team of Chinese air force.

He also witnessed the ongoing modifications on JF-17 Prototype -5 aircraft.
Radio Pakistan
J-10 interesting I hope we buy at least 3 squadrons

Back
Top Bottom