What's new

Pacific fleet helicopter carrier USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) in fire

Updated situation :

UPDATE: 33 degree starboard list, Mast collapse, Bridge engulfed, CIWS platform collapse.
Oh wow this fire is much more severe than I first saw it ... hopefully it can get extinguished asap

Reminded me of this.
images
This fire clearly is much more severe

Looks like foreign student to me and very Asian to boot

They look Austronesian to me, their skin is so dark. Although they are clearly Asian, if I saw them in China I would think they are foreigners, maybe children of some maid who came to visit their hard-working mother.

Oh wow this fire is much more severe than I first saw it ... hopefully it can get extinguished asap

This fire clearly is much more severe

I bet, this will be categorized as TOTAL LOSS. The cost to repair that severe damage will be higher than building a new one.

But the problem, they need at least 5 years to replace those Losses.
3 years if you counting from laid down to launching.

Not including Multi-Billion dollars they can use for another more important Project & Procurement now being wasted to Replace that Losses.

Meanwhile,
Chinese Shipyards can build their Attack Carrier (Type 075 LHD) much faster (only 6 months from Laid down to Launching) That's mean they can build 6 Unit of Type 075 LHD in the same time span.

The best monday for @striver44 :enjoy:

If I remember correctly, this ship actively takes part in the 2004 Tsunami disaster relief as well... Her aviation wing (and marines) were flying in and out delivering supplies and aid to the devastated areas in Aceh... Looking at the damage, it seems scrapping the ship is very likely now... A sad end to a great ship... but hopefully her name will be transferred to a new ship...

Farewell.. Her services during the Tsunami disaster relief will not be forgotten...

A massive fire, likely caused by lax fire safety practices during pier-side maintenance, is currently ravaging USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), one of America’s 10 big-deck amphibious assault ships currently in the fleet. These vessels are intended to be an integral part in holding the line against a resurgent China, and the loss of this multi-billion dollar ship—which appears likely—will be felt throughout the fleet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craigh...im-of-lax-fire-safety-practices/#2219f32b76a9

960x0.jpg

543de26c-12ad-4c86-a212-c8458376fc40_1.90d4936145d79a443aa17bb154ed013d.jpeg

The ship look old.

Back
Top Bottom