What's new

PAC | Avionics Production Factory.

My point really isn't about corruption. There are many more private organizations that don't have corruption then those that do. This is "nationalization-lite". We all know how well nationalization of everything works for us.
Yes,
I am not disagreeing with you rather raising another concern,

Government hasn’t done enough to encourage private investors, One stupid amendment and all the private sector’s legs cut off... As if they were a joke or something...

Wait so no PAC will have MRO for commerical airliners? This just sounds like a bad idea all around. Instead of encouraging private sector we are making SOE do more and more of what the should not be doing.
bro do you really think as of now our private sector have technological and financial strength to take on such task ... ???

All the private airlines still use PIA facilities which have limited capabilities of MRO as far as I know ..... so to save foreign exchange and increase the business someone has to move in this sector now if this someone is SOE is not necessarily bad at least that SOE is making investment in the sector and would train manpower who later could and be utilized by private sector if and when they enter in this sector

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that PAC in future let say 15-20 years would go in direction Chinese Business Model in aviation sector .... it would not cut the private sector from business but would help to establish vendors from Private sector and itself would act as Umbrella Organization

bro do you really think as of now our private sector have technological and financial strength to take on such task ... ???
Probably not but they might if they're encouraged with the tools that a government has access to such as SEZ, tax-incentives, subsidies.

All the private airlines still use PIA facilities which have limited capabilities of MRO as far as I know ..... so to save foreign exchange and increase the business someone has to move in this sector now if this someone is SOE is not necessarily bad at least that SOE is making investment in the sector and would train manpower who later could and be utilized by private sector if and when they enter in this sector
Here's my problem with this. Once a SOE enters the market it becomes really hard/impossible for anyone else to enter the market (unless of course the SOE just sinks like Steel Mills and PIA which is even worse than what I'm afraid of). Once PAC starts MRO for airliners do you really think the government will spend additional money and effort to promote private sector MRO? Absolutely not. Do you think a hypothetical private MRO will be able to compete with PAC who is funded by the government, has access to government employees, and doesn't really NEED to make a profit? Absolutely not.

If anything PAC needs to do less than what they're doing right now and rope in private sector. This is better for EVERYONE. PAC (and a lot of SOEs) have this mindset of smart kids in school projects that lack leadership skills of "nobody can do this so I'll do it". A good leader needs to delegate their work to others and focus on their strengths, and not attempt to do everything under the sun themselves.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that PAC in future let say 15-20 years would go in direction Chinese Business Model in aviation sector .... it would not cut the private sector from business but would help to establish vendors from Private sector and itself would act as Umbrella Organization
I hope so too but all I see is PAC going in the OPPOSITE direction of what you say, and this is yet another piece of evidence pointing towards that.

Wait so no PAC will have MRO for commerical airliners? This just sounds like a bad idea all around. Instead of encouraging private sector we are making SOE do more and more of what the should not be doing.

Agreed. Somebody (MastanKhan?) once shared a video about how the Luftwaffe expanded into areas it wasn't meant to be. There was a trust deficit involved... I only barely recall the details. But I have been apprehensive about PAC branching out into too many directions. And we know from ACM Sohail Aman that they are targeting space as well. This is not good at all.

Probably not but they might if they're encouraged with the tools that a government has access to such as SEZ, tax-incentives, subsidies.

Here's my problem with this. Once a SOE enters the market it becomes really hard/impossible for anyone else to enter the market (unless of course the SOE just sinks like Steel Mills and PIA which is even worse than what I'm afraid of). Once PAC starts MRO for airliners do you really think the government will spend additional money and effort to promote private sector MRO? Absolutely not. Do you think a hypothetical private MRO will be able to compete with PAC who is funded by the government, has access to government employees, and doesn't really NEED to make a profit? Absolutely not.

If anything PAC needs to do less than what they're doing right now and rope in private sector. This is better for EVERYONE. PAC (and a lot of SOEs) have this mindset of smart kids in school projects that lack leadership skills of "nobody can do this so I'll do it". A good leader needs to delegate their work to others and focus on their strengths, and not attempt to do everything under the sun themselves.

I hope so too but all I see is PAC going in the OPPOSITE direction of what you say, and this is yet another piece of evidence pointing towards that.

The best outcome from this would be a complete spin-off. I am not optimistic that would happen.

The issue with SOEs in the armed forces is three-fold:

1. It is an increasingly expensive overhead, one that isn't 100% utilized all the time. This is money that will go into maintaining infrastructure and personnel that otherwise could've gotten into procurement.

2. It sets up wrong incentives for at least some personnel in the armed forces, they become less soldier-y and more business man, which isn't what the public paid them to be (via training, benefits, etc).

3. It's economically inefficient because these subsidized entities will keep private enterprises (which rely on profit) out, which means depressed investment potential.

IMHO ... PIA should've just released a tender stipulating that it wants domestic MRO services for specific aircraft and, in turn, commit to buying services from the winner for X years. If the private sector doesn't step up, then OK, go ahead and make an SOE out of it, but I doubt that very much. The folks behind PAeC want to invest, at least as long as the PAF/Gov't keep the field open to them (not crowd it out with SOEs).

Likewise, the PAF, PA and PN should've released a joint tender for a MALE UAV, with a 'favourability clause' for domestic private sector actors who will manufacture it in Pakistan. With a ironclad commitment to buy 150 such drones over 10 years, I'm sure the private sector would've risen to the challenge. The Turks threw less on the table and got Baykar Makina out of it.

To be frank, this is all a case of the armed forces uncles not giving others a chance. You see it in stuff as silly as media and entertainment, so why not bigger ventures? Right?

The issue with SOEs in the armed forces is three-fold:

1. It is an increasingly expensive overhead, one that isn't 100% utilized all the time. This is money that will go into maintaining infrastructure and personnel that otherwise could've gotten into procurement.

2. It sets up wrong incentives for at least some personnel in the armed forces, they become less soldier-y and more business man, which isn't what the public paid them to be (via training, benefits, etc).

3. It's economically inefficient because these subsidized entities will keep private enterprises (which rely on profit) out, which means depressed investment potential.

IMHO ... PIA should've just released a tender stipulating that it wants domestic MRO services for specific aircraft and, in turn, commit to buying services from the winner for X years. If the private sector doesn't step up, then OK, go ahead and make an SOE out of it, but I doubt that very much. The folks behind PAeC want to invest, at least as long as the PAF/Gov't keep the field open to them (not crowd it out with SOEs).

Likewise, the PAF, PA and PN should've released a joint tender for a MALE UAV, with a 'favourability clause' for domestic private sector actors who will manufacture it in Pakistan. With a ironclad commitment to buy 150 such drones over 10 years, I'm sure the private sector would've risen to the challenge. The Turks threw less on the table and got Baykar Makina out of it.

To be frank, this is all a case of the armed forces uncles not giving others a chance. You see it in stuff as silly as media and entertainment, so why not bigger ventures? Right?

The only thing is, we really can't trust the Razzaq Dawoods and Malik Riazs in the country either. What somebody said earlier about PAC becoming an umbrella organization makes the most sense for military projects. For commercial ventures, they need to spin-off a child company and let them grow independently. PAF can buy its transports from the spin-off, while purely military aircraft comes from PAC. Since the spin-off originates from PAC, its security can be guaranteed through a proper structuring in the resulting company.

maxresdefault.jpg

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) introduces superior model of Mushshak aircraft

2 March 1999

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Kamra, has upgraded the Mushshak aircraft by incorporating several modifications in its existing version.

The sale of the upgraded version, named "Super Mushshak," is being negotiated with potential buyers like Saudi Arabia.

The PAC has retrofitted the 260 HP Lycoming engine and McCauley 3-blade speed propeller, upgrading the performance of the Mushshak.

The production of the Mushshak aircraft reflects the high level of skill of PAC engineers. Besides Pakistan, this aircraft is being used by Sweden, Denmark, Oman, Syria and Iran.

According to the sources, modalities for the sale of additional four Mushshak to Oman have been finalized by both the countries and a final contract is likely to be signed soon.

Co-production of the Grifo-7 airborne radar is also expected to be completed by May 2000 with an Italian company. The infrastructure, including production equipment, has been completed at the PAC, according to Defence Ministry sources.

The programme is scheduled to have four phases: experiment, procurement of production equipment, training of manpower and regular production. The first three phases have been completed.

According to Defence Ministry sources, the recovery of 50 grounded PAF Mirage aircraft and their avionic upgradation are the two main projects which are nearing completion and most of the requirements have been met through indigenous sources.

All the PAC factories have achieved ISO-9000 certification. As a result, they have gained confidence of their customers and have achieved international reputation.

PAC Kamra launched a deletion programme to promote indigenization. As a result 511 metallic pipes out of 585 are being fabricated locally by the Mirage Rebuild Factory (MRF) thus saving a substantial amount of foreign exchange.

As many as 243 structural parts are also being manufactured locally by the factory. Investment casting facility and meteorological centre have been established in the F-6 Rebuild Factory (F6 RF) which are used for manufacture of high consumption small parts and supersonic drop tanks and for calibration of equipment and testers.

The facilities will also provide services to civil sector on commercial basis. Co-production of the MPDRs, CRC, RWR and overhauling of power generators is also another achievement made indigenously by the PAC through a delegation programme.

The Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) established in 1979 to manufacture, modernize and rebuild tanks and APCs of the Pakistan Army is also on the forefront to meet the defence needs.

The years 1997 and 1998 have remained extremely eventful and rewarding for the HIT from the production, technical developments and administrative improvements point of view. During this period while achieving optimum production targets, a historic contract was concluded with the USA for the manufacture of Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and, above all, the research and development phase of the MBT-2000 'Al-Khalid' tank was completed successfully.

PRODUCTION OF TANKS AND APCs: During the period between February 1997 and December 1998 the HIT manufactured, rebuilt and upgraded a large number of tanks and APCs.

MANUFACTURE OF APCs: The HIT was allocated $126 million by the Pakistan Army to manufacture APCs M113P. In line with the government's policy to obtain maximum cost benefits and keep dealings transparent, the HIT administration embarked upon an extensive market research and devised a new strategy for material acquisition and production management.

Its efforts duly supported by the government paid rich dividends and a contract was concluded with the United States to manufacture 1200 APCs. Production cost of the HIT is far below the international prices and has allowed huge savings to Pakistan.

PEC being transferred to PAF

It said that Precision Engineering Complex (PEC) being a strategic unit contributed very little towards PIA, therefore, the prime minister had already given an executive order to transfer PEC to Pakistan Air Force.

Published in Dawn, December 17th, 2020

Precision Engineering
pia_c_inbanner__2.png

PRECISION ENGINEERING COMPLEX
Fully Integrated, Precision Engineering for Demanding Industries
The Precision Engineering Complex (PEC) at PIA manufactures high precision parts for the aerospace industry and a number of other industries.
The PEC is an integrated facility that houses major engineering disciplines under one roof, including investment casting, conventional and CNC machining, Optics, PCB, Electrical, Electronics and Composites. Multi-disciplinary teamwork enables intelligent decision making and high quality output in all phases of product development and manufacturing.
Across the globe, PEC products take to the skies every day. The PEC is a supplier to USA and Europe and serves companies such as General Electric, Airbus Industries and Boeing. Services run the gamut from simple machining jobs to complex shaping using high precision CNC controlled equipment. The team is experienced in cutting large varieties of basic and exotic materials including hard steels, aluminum alloys, and the machining of a wide range of castings, forging and extrusions.

Precision Engineering
pia_c_inbanner__2.png

PRECISION ENGINEERING COMPLEX
Fully Integrated, Precision Engineering for Demanding Industries
The Precision Engineering Complex (PEC) at PIA manufactures high precision parts for the aerospace industry and a number of other industries.
The PEC is an integrated facility that houses major engineering disciplines under one roof, including investment casting, conventional and CNC machining, Optics, PCB, Electrical, Electronics and Composites. Multi-disciplinary teamwork enables intelligent decision making and high quality output in all phases of product development and manufacturing.
Across the globe, PEC products take to the skies every day. The PEC is a supplier to USA and Europe and serves companies such as General Electric, Airbus Industries and Boeing. Services run the gamut from simple machining jobs to complex shaping using high precision CNC controlled equipment. The team is experienced in cutting large varieties of basic and exotic materials including hard steels, aluminum alloys, and the machining of a wide range of castings, forging and extrusions.

the link you have posted mention number of facilities which would really help PAC, but I think some time back there was plan to shift these facilities to the premises of old Islamabad Airport which I find unnecessary IF these facilities are operational at their existing premises

PEC FACILITIES

Machine Shop

The Precision Engineering Complex is driven by a modern machine shop for diversified engineering services. The workshop is predominantly CNC oriented, and is supported by a group of manually controlled machines.

The PEC offers services for the cutting of materials into predefined shapes or sizes using a variety of modern cutting methods. Services range from simple cut-to-length jobs to very complex shaping using high precision CNC controlled equipment. The PEC team is experienced in cutting large varieties of basic and exotic materials including harder steels, titanium alloys, aluminum alloys, and the machining of a wide range of castings, forging and extrusions.

The PEC specializes in the production of complex aircraft engines and structural parts. Machining services are offered to a range of clients, including General Electric Aircraft Engines USA, Boeing Commercial Airplane Company USA, and Airbus Industries, Germany.

Investment Casting Facility

The PEC’s Investment Casting Facility is equipped to produce a wide spectrum of precision components for the aerospace sector and other industries that require engineering services. The PEC team has deep experience in Aluminum Casting Alloys, Nickel Base Alloys, Cobalt Base Alloys (air and vacuum), Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel, and Super Alloys.
The PEC is a one-stop shop for casting, machining, and surface treatment, and has years of experience in casting intricate aircraft engine parts. As a supplier to prestigious firms such as General Electric, and certified by Boeing and GEAE, the PEC is uniquely positioned to deliver high quality services at competitive rates.

PEC’s Capabilities

AlloysAluminum Casting Alloys, Nickel Base Alloys, Cobalt base alloys, Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel, Super Alloys
CastingAir and Vacuum
Weight of Casting8 gram per piece (minimum)
10 kg per piece (maximum)
Size of Casting400 × 300 × 300 mm (maximum)
Surface FinishVaries from 3 to 6 microns Ra.
Minimum Wall Thickness1.5 mm for Steel and Super Alloys
1 mm for Aluminum Base Alloys

Shot Peening

The PEC’s Shot Peening facility enhances metal fatigue properties through surface treatment of a range of metallic parts. The purpose of Shot Peening is to provide cold working by inducing compression stresses on a metallic surface. The residual stresses, deriving from machining, welding or any other operation can, as a result, be modified. Shot Peening is specifically used for Titanium-based Alloys, High Alloy or Tool Steels and Corrosion Resistance Steels (CRES), to reduce the shrinkage stresses, to avoid formation of shrinkage cracks and also the effect of fatigue or cyclic load/stresses.

Shot Peening is an excellent method for improving resistance to fatigue, stress corrosion cracking, and galling.
  • The key features and capabilities of this powerful machine are:
  • Six automated nozzles and one manual nozzle. Parameters are controlled by PLC programming
  • The maximum capacity of shot flow rate is 20 lb/min
  • The maximum achievable intensity is 0.009A noted by Almen strips.
The PEC’s world-class Shot Peening facility is approved by BOEING in accordance with BAC 5730N and BSS 7630.

Glass Fiber Composite Manufacturing

The PEC features a medium sized facility for the production of cylindrical glass fiber composite parts for various sectors of industries. Depending upon the requirements for chemical resistance, mechanical properties and temperature resistance, a suitable glass type and resin is selected from a range of available components. Our capability includes the production of glass fiber composite products using the filament winding method. Our highly skilled team can process the following materials:
  • Glass Fiber
  • Kevlar
  • Carbon Fiber
The quality of fiberglass reinforced pipes that the PEC produces conforms to the requirements of ANSO B 31.3 (Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping), AWWAC-950 (America Water Works Association Standard for Fiberglass Pipes) and ASTM D-2996. Pipes and similar products can be produced with an inside diameter ranging from 50 mm to 1000 mm and a length of 4500 mm.

Optics

The Optics section of the PEC has a modern manufacturing facility equipped with sophisticated machines for the production of high grade optical elements. The PEC produces a range of optical elements from high quality, Grade-A optical glasses, based on customer specifications. The Optics section offers the following products:
  • Windows
  • Mirrors
  • Spherical Lenses
  • Prisms
The PEC’s Optics section, fully equipped to go from prototype to high volume production, also offers standard and custom coatings to meet specific operational requirements.

Printed Circuit Boards (PCB)

The PEC is equipped with a modern PCB manufacturing facility powered by state-of-the-art technology. The PCB division has the capability of producing 80 square feet of Printed Circuit Boards in a single shift operation. Customized PCBs can also be produced according to customer specifications.

Our product range includes single sided, double sided, multi-layer (up to 8 layers) and flexible PCBs. Screen Printing facilities are also offered.

Plating Facilities

The PEC offers established facilities for different types of plating for surface protection. Plating provides excellent corrosion resistance even at low thickness and adds tremendous value to the aesthetics of products. The PEC offers a range of plating services:

• Cadmium Plating
  • Zinc Plating
  • Chromic Acid Anodizing
  • Sulphuric Acid Anodizing with Coloring
  • Black Anodizing
  • Sulphuric Acid Hard Anodizing
  • Anodizing
  • Etching of Steel and Ti Alloys
The PEC’s high-end plating services are extremely flexible and small batches as well as high volume production can be handled, depending on the needs of our customers.

Non Destructive Testing Facility

The PEC offers the following non-destructive test facilities:
  • Penetrant Inspection
  • X-Ray Inspection
  • Magnetic Particle Inspection
Material Testing Laboratory

The PEC’s established Material Test Laboratory is composed of the following facilities:
  • Hardness Testing
  • Tensile
  • Metallography
NDT is approved by NADCAP and the Material Testing Laboratories are approved by GEAE as per S-400.

Calibration Facility

The PEC offers facilities for the calibration of a wide range of mechanical and electrical Measuring and Test Equipment:

• Gauge Blocks
  • Caliper Checker
  • Standard Bars
  • Micrometers
  • Vernier Calipers
  • Height Gauges
  • Depth Gauges
  • Measuring Scales
  • Measuring Tape
  • Multimeter (Analog & Digital)
  • Voltmeters (AC & DC)
  • Ampere Meter (AC & DC)
  • Earth Resistance Meter
  • Clamp Meter
  • Insulation Tester
  • Magger Meter
  • Battery Tester
The PEC calibrates equipment in accordance with ISO-10012-1 standards and an unbroken chain of traceability ensures world-class quality.

Packaging Plant

The PEC has an EPS molding plant for the production of thermopore packaging materials. Based on the Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) process, the plant offers economical, customized packaging boxes, available in an array of shapes and sizes, to suit a wide range of requirements.
The PEC’s Expanded Polystyrene plant is equipped to produce approximately 100 pieces, with sizes of 600 x 600 mm, per hour.

Binocular Assembly

The PEC manufactures high quality 8×30 binoculars for civil and military use. The binoculars feature sturdy construction and all metal housing, and are vibration and shock proof. In addition, the binoculars are temperature, rainwater and spray water protected. The product is rubber-armored in camouflaged green, and is capable of absorbing shocks in the event of a fall.
The binoculars’ optics are multilayer, anti-reflection coated, reducing light losses and glare, and produce bright, clear images.
Technical Specifications:
Model: 8×30 MSP
Magnification: 8xt
Clear Aperture: 30mm
FOV: 8.5 degrees.
Eyepiece adjustment: ±5 diopters
Dimensions (L × W × D): 110 × 165 × 50 mm
Reticle (Optional): ±40 mils (6400)

Latest article on PAC Kamra from March 2021. Posting here for record keeping.
-------------------

Pride of Pakistan - by Alan Warnes, Air International March 2021

In common with production facilities all over the world, Kamra-based Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) initially suffered from the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. And not least because it faced a very specific challenge, continuing to look after the entire Pakistan Air Force (PAF) fleet at the same time as building a new aircraft type.

Ensuring that the maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) facility could carry on with its vital work fell on the shoulders of Air Marshal Syed Noman Ali, who became PAC chairman in early January 2020, just as COVID-19 was gathering pace. The former F-16 Viper pilot told AIR International recently: “Within a few weeks of arriving here I had to come up with solutions to ensure the health and safety of the 15,000 workers, while serving the many needs of the PAF. It was quite a job!”

Maintaining the schedule
Production of the new JF-17 Thunder fighter at the Aircraft Manufacturing Factory (AMF) was initially affected, but after a few weeks, the workforce was housed on the facility enabling personnel to work longer shifts. It took AM Noman and his team about three months to find a new way of working around the coronavirus limitations.

PAC Kamra is the brainchild of the PAF and an extension of the PAF. That’s why it is run by an air marshal, and 40% of the 15,000-strong workforce is military. As well as the AMF, there are three other major facilities within PAC: the Mirage Rebuild Factory (MRF), the Aircraft Rebuild Factory (ARF), and the Avionics Production Factory (APF) with a dedicated research and development department running alongside it.

We asked AM Noman about the PAC’s role in the PAF: “We have four main tasks: the production of the JF-17 Thunder to supplement the fleet and replace obsolete aircraft – whether it be Mirages or Chinese aircraft; life cycle support – all the MROs established here are overhauling aircraft and components then returning them back into service; rectifying components at D Level; and manufacturing harnesses, material components not just limited to aircraft but also for ground-based air defence sensors.”

AM Noman was keen to emphasize the vital role played by the often overlooked design and development section: “It is to assist and supplement, as well as digitalize, design or prototype systems. We determine whether they are feasible, cost effective and whether serial production is worthwhile for the PAF. After prognosis, continuation of the project is discussed, whether we should continue or keep it at prototype [stage]. We are also collaborating in artificial intelligence (AI) with the PAF and its departments, to fuse AI into various projects and to understand what extent we need to capitalize that capability to make it a better product.”

Pakistan’s fifth-gen fighter
At the moment the design and development department is working on a fifth-generation fighter, known as Azm. The project is being conceptualised and preliminary designs are ongoing. “There will come a time when we will review it for its cost effectiveness, and what capabilities can be fused into the project, it will have to be something essential for a next-gen fighter,” he said.

Once Azm is past the preliminary design stage, detailed design will follow before prototyping the initial concept and working towards the final concept. “It will be improved over the three phases with each lasting around two years. In each phase the aircraft could evolve, even its future operating capability (FOC) could see improvements,” he added.

The PAF anticipates that the fifth generation fighter will fly in 2028, but as the PAC chairman explained: “If a partner joins us with new expertise, then that date might alter. We are working in a very focused manner and engaging with international partners to see what they can offer.”

Obviously, the PAC and PAF has learnt a lot from developing and then building the Sino-Pak JF-17 Thunder with the Chinese, and AVIC (Aviation Industry in China) in particular. Fourteen years ago, the PAF hadn’t even started to build fighters. “It’s been a valuable experience, particularly for attracting people here that have diverse [knowledge] within various specialties – design, structures, avionics, integration. We have built over 100 JF-17s that are operationally employed today,” he said.

Thunders rolling
On December 30, 2020, the chairman handed over 14 dual-seat JF-17B Thunders built at the AMF, although he was at pains to acknowledge the contribution of all the factories.

PAC Kamra is responsible for building 58% of the single-seat JF-17s, while AVIC contributes the remaining 42%, but with the extra cockpit in the JF-17B and smaller fuel tank was PAC Kamra now contributing less to the build? “No, we are making them as per the original plan, but at times like the first three months of COVID-19 we had to rely on our Chinese partners to do more. We prefer to meet our deadlines than meeting our percentage output,” he stated.

Training and evaluation
Unlike the single-seat JF-17s, the dualseater has fuel in both wings and in the vertical tail, all of which are made at PAC Kamra under the 58% agreement. “They are not in fuel bladders but carried as integral fuel tanks like on the F-16. Each wing houses 550Ib and the vertical tail, 210lb, which together with the internal fuel load totals of 4,910Ib. Including the three external fuel tanks, the aircraft can carry a 10,000Ib fuel load.”

All 26 JF-17Bs have now been built and handed over to the PAF. The plan is to use them to fulfil training needs with the operational conversion unit (18 Sqn ‘Sharp Shooters’) but also to undertake evaluation and standardisation requirements with operational squadrons. The 12 aircraft handed over in late December 2019 have been delivered to the operational units, while the bulk of the latter will undoubtedly go to the ‘Sharp Shooters’.

“Now, all efforts are being turned towards production of the newer, more capable Block III JF-17s. While final assembly of the dual-seaters was ongoing at the AMF, the SPG [Small Part Manufacturing] had started work on the components of the Block III.” Given that his previous role was JF-17 Chief Project Director (CPD), AM Noman is fully conversant with Block III. “Among the several improvements over the Block I/ II JF-17s is the new KLJ-7A AESA airborne electronically scanned array radar.”

After evaluating three different radars, the CETC (China Electronics Technology Corporation) KLJ-7A was selected in late 2019 and allows for a new generation of weapons and air-to-air missiles. The chairman continued: “A second Block III prototype has been flying in China since August last year, joining the first example delivered in December 2019, that was already undergoing test and evaluation there. By the time we deliver the first serial production Block III from PAC in early 2022 most of the work will be complete. While our flight test pilots and engineers [of the co-located Flight Test Group] are doing most of their work here, they travel to China when the need arises.

“The first Block III is expected to fly from PAC Kamra later this year with the new radar, which we are co-producing at the Avionics Production Factory. This facility has over the past 20 years or so, worked on the Grifo radars [for both the Chengdu F-7P/PG and Dassault Mirage IIIs] as well as the original KLJ-7 in the JF-17 Block I/IIs, so is more than capable of working on the new radar.”

The KLJ-7A will eventually be retrofitted into the JF-17B, so making it a very capable tactical trainer, which several foreign forces are apparently studying. AM Noman explained that although there is a requirement for 50 Block IIIs, only around 30 have initially been contracted, the rest may come later. With a KLJ-7A production line being created at APF, there is every likelihood the earlier Block I/II JF-17s could be upgraded too.

Chinese partners
Other than the AESA radar, the main difference between the Block II and Block III JF-17s, according to the chairman, is a helmetmounted display the PAF is working on with companies in China and Pakistan, three axis fly-by-wire, an enhanced EW management system and a chin-mounted hard point. The PAF has acquired the Aselsan targeting pod, known simply as the Aselpod, with eight ordered so far to support integration, plus a follow-on purchase of 50 made up of three batches.

During the JF-17B roll-out on December 30, 2020, three JF-17 Block IIs destined for the Nigerian Air Force were seen in the line-up. According to AM Noman, these will be delivered in the March 2021 timeframe, while training the pilots is a joint PAC/PAF effort: “We are training around 50 pilots and technicians as and when required by the NAF.” When I asked if the Nigerians were set to order more JF-17s, the chairman said, “We hope so. You should ask them!”

The Aircraft Repair Factory, previously known as the F6 Rebuild Factory, used to overhaul the Shenyang FT-5, FT-6 and Chengdu F-7P in addition to the existing F-7PGs and K-8s – that make up the PAF’s Chinese fleet. Now with the first three types retired, the facility obviously has extra capacity that is enabling it to turn its attention to the JF-17.

By mid-2019, work on the first two aircraft had been completed, and the chairman confirmed that two more have been finished since then. All the fleet will go through ARF eventually, as PAC aims to keep pace with the PAF’s operational requirements.

Super Mushshak
The other aircraft in full production at the AMF, headed up by Air Vice Marshal Shams-Ul-Haq, is the MFI-17 Super Mushshak. Since a glass cockpit was introduced – incorporating Dynon, Garmin and more recently Genesys – the Super Mushshak has benefitted from a significant boost in sales. The chairman stated: “The choice of the digital avionics system is down to the customer – we tell the customer [about] their capabilities and cost, as we do for anything else that they might want in the aircraft. Customers have recently shown particular interest in the Genesys system which we integrated in 2019.”

The first order could come from an in-country customer, although he wouldn’t confirm whether that would be the air force or army. On the export front, Nigeria (ten), Qatar (eight), Azerbaijan (ten) and Turkey (52) have all ordered them, with deliveries completed to the first three customers between 2017-2019. The Turkish Air force ordered two prototypes and 50 serial production aircraft in May 2017, and while it was initially agreed they would be built at Ankara-based Turkish Aerospace, the work is now being carried out at AMF.

“Unfortunately COVID has affected the progress of production but hopefully won’t delay the deliveries over the next three years,” he said. The first two Turkish Super Mushshaks, to be equipped with the Garmin avionics system, have flown and are now painted in their colour scheme with the first batch of aircraft slated for delivery within 2021.

Civil contracts
When asked if the Royal Saudi Air Force was set to upgrade its fleet of 20 Super Mushshaks flying with the King Faisal Air Academy, the Air Marshal would only say that discussions were still ongoing.

With regards to simulation systems, he said the PAF was using the Super Mushshak system to train cadets at the Asghar Khan Academy: “However, the aircraft is very easy to fly so customers are not really interested [in simulators], but it’s an area we would definitely like to [explore].”

As a natural extension of its activities, PAC is now diversifying into overhauling civil airliners. It has formed a partnership with Lithuania’s ASG to overhaul widebody Airbus A330s and Boeing 777s. “We are the first EASA qualified facility in Pakistan for these aircraft and are primarily focused on foreign airlines, because PIA [Pakistan International Airlines] has its own facilities. Our first facility is at Islamabad International Airport and the second one will be at Karachi IAP,” he said.

Undoubtedly, Air Marshal Syed Noman Ali, who has now been the PAC boss for over a year, faces many challenges but the biggest right now “is to the meet the deadlines of our customers during this restricted COVID-19 era.”

Pakistan’s fifth-gen fighter
“There will come a time when we will review it for its cost effectiveness, and what capabilities can be fused into the project, it will have to be something essential for a next-gen fighter,” he said.

Once Azm is past the preliminary design stage, detailed design will follow before prototyping the initial concept and working towards the final concept. “It will be improved over the three phases with each lasting around two years. In each phase the aircraft could evolve, even its future operating capability (FOC) could see improvements,” he added.

The PAF anticipates that the fifth generation fighter will fly in 2028, but as the PAC chairman explained: “If a partner joins us with new expertise, then that date might alter. We are working in a very focused manner and engaging with international partners to see what they can offer.”
Still sounds extremely ambitious but let's see.

“Among the several improvements over the Block I/ II JF-17s is the new KLJ-7A AESA airborne electronically scanned array radar.”

After evaluating three different radars, the CETC (China Electronics Technology Corporation) KLJ-7A was selected in late 2019 and allows for a new generation of weapons and air-to-air missiles.
So KLJ-7A is confirmed. I am not sure if it had been officially confirmed before this.

By the time we deliver the first serial production Block III from PAC in early 2022 most of the work will be complete. While our flight test pilots and engineers [of the co-located Flight Test Group] are doing most of their work here, they travel to China when the need arises.
So first serial production block III in 2022....damn.

“The first Block III is expected to fly from PAC Kamra later this year with the new radar, which we are co-producing at the Avionics Production Factory. This facility has over the past 20 years or so, worked on the Grifo radars [for both the Chengdu F-7P/PG and Dassault Mirage IIIs] as well as the original KLJ-7 in the JF-17 Block I/IIs, so is more than capable of working on the new radar.”
This is likely the AESA radar seen in PAC posters. @HRK

Other than the AESA radar, the main difference between the Block II and Block III JF-17s, according to the chairman, is a helmetmounted display the PAF is working on with companies in China and Pakistan, three axis fly-by-wire, an enhanced EW management system and a chin-mounted hard point. The PAF has acquired the Aselsan targeting pod, known simply as the Aselpod, with eight ordered so far to support integration, plus a follow-on purchase of 50 made up of three batches.
Some kind of Chinese+Local Collab HMD confirmed???? @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

So first serial production block III in 2022....damn.
Well the serial production is already underway and the first jets will be produced this year. The actual delivery to PAF wont happen till 2022 as there is always testing involved post production and usually a batch of aircraft are delivered concurrently instead of 1 by 1.
So we might see 6-10 aircraft being handed over to PAF at the same time etc.

Very very informative article .... plz also post it in JF-17 Information pool thread

some interesting points

Unlike the single-seat JF-17s, the dualseater has fuel in both wings and in the vertical tail, all of which are made at PAC Kamra under the 58% agreement. “They are not in fuel bladders but carried as integral fuel tanks like on the F-16. Each wing houses 550Ib and the vertical tail, 210lb, which together with the internal fuel load totals of 4,910Ib. Including the three external fuel tanks, the aircraft can carry a 10,000Ib fuel load.”
eventually be retrofitted into the JF-17B, so making it a very capable tactical trainer, which several foreign forces are apparently studying. AM Noman explained that although there is a requirement for 50 Block IIIs, only around 30 have initially been contracted, the rest may come later. With a KLJ-7A production line being created at APF, there is every likelihood the earlier Block I/II JF-17s could be upgraded too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom