What's new

Operation Trident and Python - 1971 , Did Navy take those losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering her obsolescence and that there was only one of her..Pakistan asked too much of her.

Oscar, that is true. But what else could be done with her? I do not think the decision to send her off on her last deployment reeked of 'timidity'. Which was visible elsewhere.

Though it seemed to some kind of hoping for a tukka. Or a Kamikaze.
OTOH; IF she had pulled it off? That might have been something.

We were under sanctions by our sole supplier, the United States from 1965 to 1971 onwards.
Would you be interested to know that despite US putting official sanctions on Pakistan, it routed weapons to Pakistan using different countries.

Would you like a source for this or will you be able to find it on your own.

Oscar, that is true. But what else could be done with her? I do not think the decision to send her off on her last deployment reeked of 'timidity'. Which was visible elsewhere.

Though it seemed to some kind of hoping for a tukka. Or a Kamikaze.
OTOH; IF she had pulled it off? That might have been something.

That would have been everything actually, the loss of the Vikrant would have made the victory sour and would have been a HUGE blow to the morale. Perhaps that was a reason that the otherwise bold step of sending out the Ghazi was taken.

Buddy, you need to research better before you start typing.. The case you mentioned here is when an Indian ship strayed into the TERRITORIAL waters of Pakistan (think it extends 20 or some miles from the shore) vs the EEZ which is almost upto 200 miles..

25 Gujarat sailors arrested in Pak, get 10 days in jail - Indian Express Mobile

A magisterial court in Gwadar in Sindh province of Pakistan convicted 25 sailors of Kutch and Jamnagar districts for illegally entering in territorial waters of Pakistan early last month

Before replying.

1) Find out the difference b/w EEZ and territorial waters.

2) Find out which of these incidents supposedly happened in EEZ and which in territorial waters.

3) Even in territorial waters " the right of innocent passage" applies..unless Pakistan can prove the said activity is prejudicial to the peace, good order or its security.

hey. if u want to know anything about indo pak wars, or about warfare at all, i am the guy to ask. i dare say there are not many here who are as well versed in the topic as me.

:you come up with the weirdest stuff windy :lol: its no surprise you seldom have a source to back you up

Thank you very much for your offer,although I can research by myself,which I do,but I requested Mr.Niaz because he was there,I am aware of 1971 war and the conspiracy theories related to it,but I am way interested to read his personal experience rather then warfare of 1971. :D

If we look at the background of Operation Trident,launched by Indian Navy forces,we conclude the following lapses of Pakistani naval forces,these are as follows as far as I have concluded:

Background:

--On 4 December, the Indian Navy launched naval strike operation against Pakistan Naval Headquarters, Karachi.
--The task group for the operation consisted of three missile boats of vidyat class,which are:

> INS Nipat (K86),
>INS Nirghat (K89) and
>INS Veer (K82)
>INS Kiltan (P79) and INS Katchall (P81),

and a fleet tanker, INS Poshak.

The task group was led by the Commanding Officer of the 25th Squadron, Commander Babru Bhan Yadav.

The Plan and Lapses:

--The plan was to attack Karachi at night because most PAF aircraft did not possess night-time bombing capability.

--INS Nirghat fired the first Styx missile PNS Khaibar, which was on patrol,Khaibar mistook the missile to be an aircraft and engaged it with its Bofors anti-aircraft guns.

--The missile hit on the starboard side and exploded below the aft galley in the Electrician's mess deck at about 2245 hrs PST.
--The ship immediately lost propulsion, plunged into darkness and the No.1 Boiler room exploded, engulfing the ship in thick black smoke.

--Due to this,Khaibar sent out an emergency transmission to PNHQ which read:

"Enemy aircraft attacked in position 020 FF 20. No 1 Boiler hit. Ship stopped."

--In the panic of the attack, the transmission sent incorrect coordinates of the ship's position, due to which rescuing of survivors delayed later on,

--After that 2249 hrs, INS Nirghat fired a second missile, due to whichThe missile struck the No.2 Boiler room on the starboard side, PNS Khaibar destroyed.

--At 2300 hours, INS Nipat also launched 1 Styx missile each at the MV Venus Challenger which was carrying ammunition for Pakistan from the United States forces in Saigon. The ammunition on the Venus Challenger immediately exploded as the missile struck sinking her about 26 miles south of Karachi.

--While the other missile hit PNS Shah Jahan which was badly damaged and scrapped.

@Aeronaut honestly speaking,our navy was seriously not ready to resist the attack,I hope that PNS is working on updating it's weapon technology and strengthening it's performance day by day.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we look at the background of Operation Trident,launched by Indian Navy forces,we conclude the following lapses of Pakistani naval forces,these are as follows as far as I have concluded:

Background:

--On 4 December, the Indian Navy launched naval strike operation against Pakistan Naval Headquarters, Karachi.
--The task group for the operation consisted of three missile boats of vidyat class,which are:

> INS Nipat (K86),
>INS Nirghat (K89) and
>INS Veer (K82)
>INS Kiltan (P79) and INS Katchall (P81),

and a fleet tanker, INS Poshak.

The task group was led by the Commanding Officer of the 25th Squadron, Commander Babru Bhan Yadav.

The Plan and Lapses:

--The plan was to attack Karachi at night because most PAF aircraft did not possess night-time bombing capability.

--INS Nirghat fired the first Styx missile PNS Khaibar, which was on patrol,Khaibar mistook the missile to be an aircraft and engaged it with its Bofors anti-aircraft guns.

--The missile hit on the starboard side and exploded below the aft galley in the Electrician's mess deck at about 2245 hrs PST.
--The ship immediately lost propulsion, plunged into darkness and the No.1 Boiler room exploded, engulfing the ship in thick black smoke.

--Due to this,Khaibar sent out an emergency transmission to PNHQ which read:

"Enemy aircraft attacked in position 020 FF 20. No 1 Boiler hit. Ship stopped."

--In the panic of the attack, the transmission sent incorrect coordinates of the ship's position, due to which rescuing of survivors delayed later on,

--After that 2249 hrs, INS Nirghat fired a second missile, due to whichThe missile struck the No.2 Boiler room on the starboard side, PNS Khaibar destroyed.

--At 2300 hours, INS Nipat also launched 1 Styx missile each at the MV Venus Challenger which was carrying ammunition for Pakistan from the United States forces in Saigon. The ammunition on the Venus Challenger immediately exploded as the missile struck sinking her about 26 miles south of Karachi.

--While the other missile hit PNS Shah Jahan which was badly damaged and scrapped.

@Aeronaut honestly speaking,our navy was seriously not ready to resist the attack,I hope that PNS is working on updating it's weapon technology and strengthening it's performance day by day.

Look at current PN's shipborne SAM systems.Its still not ready for countering enemy missile attack like klub/brahmos if i'm to be honest.

Pakistan Navy is reportedly interested in deploying vertical takeoff and landing UAVs on its ship. As a part of its plans to purchase and deploy UAVs, the Pakistani navy has completed trials of Austrian Schiebel Camcopter S-100 and Swedish made Cybaero autonomous VTOL UAVs from a Pakistani frigate in the Arabian sea in April 2008.

Good for early warning and recon.I think In should consider UAVs for smaller tonnage ships too.

Pakistan Navy is reportedly interested in deploying vertical takeoff and landing UAVs on its ship. As a part of its plans to purchase and deploy UAVs, the Pakistani navy has completed trials of Austrian Schiebel Camcopter S-100 and Swedish made Cybaero autonomous VTOL UAVs from a Pakistani frigate in the Arabian sea in April 2008.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Defense Industry Going High Tech

sorry @AUSTERLITZ something is wrong with internet,website is working slowly. :hitwall:

Good for early warning and recon.I think In should consider UAVs for smaller tonnage ships too.

yes,but we need to work on greater margins on defense and security,as Karachi is of great importance for Geographically as it used as port,so Pakistan needs to work on more development and update

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Defense Industry Going High Tech

sorry @AUSTERLITZ something is wrong with internet,website is working slowly. :hitwall:

yes,but we need to work on greater margins on defense and security,as Karachi is of great importance for Geographically as it used as port,so Pakistan needs to work on more development and update

What is also needed are long range coastal SAM battery[hq-9?] and at least medium range shipborne naval sams.[shtil-1/hq-16?]

are you making it up? never heard about this.

Hmm actually most of Pakistani's or all of dem don't know the really truth of kargil war as ur ministers never let to set up enquiry on it. Bcoz they were afraid of its findings.

Can the present level of SAMs on PN's principal surface combatants stop missiles like
BrahMos? Can the onboard radars detect stealth-optimized warships of IN at a reasonable
distance in relation to themselves?

If not, then it will be another ship-slaughter match, only that PN's surface capabilities
will be worse than ever vis-à-vis IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom