What's new

Operation Trident and Python - 1971 , Did Navy take those losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

subanday

Reaction score
Operation Trident and Python by Indian Navy (1971) caused tremendous losses to Pak Navy.

PNS - Muhafiz - SUNK
PNS - Khaibar - SUNK
PNS - SHAH JAHAN - BADLY DAMAGED
PNS - DACCA -BADLY DAMAGED

Loss of lives are separate at more than 2000 personnel.... Never heard of such devastation !!

I mean till today i was of the impression that our navy did the most damage by performing Operation Dawarka and Ghazi Sub operations and did not suffer at the hands of the Indians ....

Is it all true ?

Operation Trident and Python by Indian Navy (1971) caused tremendous losses to Pak Navy.

PNS - Muhafiz - SUNK
PNS - Khaibar - SUNK

Loss of lives are separate at more than 2000 personnel.... Never heard of such devastation !!

I mean till today i was of the impression that our navy did the most damage by performing Operation Dawarka and Ghazi Sub operations and did not suffer at the hands of the Indians ....

Is it all true ?
Transport, MV Venus Challenger, sunk
Karachi harbour fuel storage tanks destroyed
Freighter Gulf Star sunk[1][5]
MV SS Harmatttan sunk[1][5]
Karachi harbour damaged
and the pns ghazi was sunk in 1971.

PNS - Muhafiz - SUNK
PNS - Khaibar - SUNK

Is it all true ?

In one word .. Yes

Type of Vessel - Indian Navy losses - Pakistan Navy losses

Destroyers Nil 2, PNS Khaibar and Shahjahan (damaged)
Frigates 1, INS Khukri Nil
Submarines Nil 1, PNS Ghazi
Minesweeper Nil 1, PNS Muhafiz
Navy Aircraft 1, (Alize) Nil
Patrol boats an d Gunboats Nil 7 Gunboats and 3 patrol boats
Merchant Navy and others Nil 11 (including one US ammunition ship)
Loss on land Nil Missile attack on Karachi harbour and oil installations.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...kistan-navy-1971-performance-indian-navy.html

PNS - Muhafiz - SUNK
PNS - Khaibar - SUNK

Is it all true ?

The op on Dwarka destroyed a solitary railway engine and a guesthouse- beyond which it was no more than a nuisance- most of the shells fired landed on soft soil and failed to detonate- you can blame the British for that- most of the shells were British-Indian ordinance.:P Op Trident and Op Python on the other hand led to the complete and uncontested naval blockade of West Pakistan. Although PAF retaliated at Okha harbor all they got was a fuel facility since the boats had been moved out on the basis of prior intel on the strike.

Lack of shore based ISTAR facilities and the daring nature of the raid itself lead to the catastrophic losses.

Although you need not worry, now you guys have @Armstrong- put him up in a crow's nest by the shore and that's all the ISTAR capability any nations can ask for, NO Butt Sahib?:omghaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you knocked out the Pak Navy cold, why didn't Indian navy stepped on the shores of Karachi...?

Since you knocked out the Pak Navy cold, why didn't Indian navy stepped on the shores of Karachi...?

Because our objective was to get rid of your oil tankers in Karachi so as to hasten your impending defeat. Also, stepping foot in West Pak would mean USA would get involved, who was very pro-Pakistan back in the day. SO we definitely didnt want that

Were we not scanning Indians, post 1965, for the types of weapons they were acquiring.... their Styx missiles did the damage, but the same missiles failed against Israeli boats in Yom Kippur as they were well prepared

Was it the euphoria of 1965 which blinded us?

@subanday PNS Ghazi sank by accident. And yes we did get our ***** kicked in 1971.

PNS - Muhafiz - SUNK
PNS - Khaibar - SUNK

Is it all true ?

It is true. All of it. And even more.
The Tank Farm at Keamari was hit and that part of Karachi burned for over 7 days and destroyed Paksitani reserves. PNS Dacca (the fleet tanker had a narrow escape). Our esteemed colleague here on PDF, @niaz was there and was part of the team that valiantly fought the Oil-Tank fires. Let me assure you (on some personal experience), that is a really stupendous task.

Pakistan was effectively cut off by sea from the rest of the world and re-supplying East Paksitan was an impossibility.The damage; direct and indirect, was huge.

At the time of the 1998 war, Indian navy blocked the sea root of Pakistan and cut it off from rest of world. Pak navy helplessly watched it. This led to oil crisis and forced Pakistan to beg for American help for ceasefire . Pakistan navy chief resigned after Kargil war over.

That was not part of the plan at all. The IN's task was clearly cut-out.
1.Interdict/intercept all shipping coming in and out of Karachi.
2.Bottle up the PN fleet into Karachi Harbor. And then destroy as much of it as possible.
3.Ensure that no supply/resupply of West Pakistan could be carried out. Since West Pakistan needed to import everything to keep fighting a War especially Fuel and Ammunition.
4.Ensure that no supllies of men and material could be sent to East Paksitan so that Paksitan Army there could keep on fighting any longer.

All of those Tasks were accomplished. There was nothing else to be done. Entering and occupying Karachi or Sind was not contemplated at all. And there was simply no need to.

At the time of the 1998 war, Indian navy blocked the sea root of Pakistan and cut it off from rest of world. Pak navy helplessly watched it. This led to oil crisis and forced Pakistan to beg for American help for ceasefire . Pakistan navy chief resigned after Kargil war over.
are you making it up? never heard about this.

It is true. All of it. And even more.
The Tank Farm at Keamari was hit and that part of Karachi burned for over 7 days and destroyed Paksitani reserves. PNS Dacca (the fleet tanker had a narrow escape). Our esteemed colleague here on PDF, @niaz was there and was part of the team that valiantly fought the Oil-Tank fires. Let me assure you (on some personal experience), that is a really stupendous task.

Pakistan was effectively cut off by sea from the rest of the world and re-supplying East Paksitan was an impossibility.The damage; direct and indirect, was huge.

Mr @niaz who is think-tank currently?then why he was not labelled as Professional @Aeronaut?

Brother this is not month of April to make fool, its a month of holy Ramzan. So don't lie:astagh:

Mr @niaz who is think-tank currently?then why he was not labelled as Professional @Aeronaut?

@Slav Defence;
Our esteemed Niaz Sahab, is a long time veteran of the Oil Industry. With an amazing knowledge of Petroleum/Enegy matters (as I've found out on PDF). Apart from that he is a very thinking and articulate person on varied topics as reflected in his posts on this forum.

At that time he worked with Shell Oil in Pakistan and was a first-hand observer and participant in events. Hearing his account of them will be fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom