What's new

Operating system

But Militaries still use them due to their reliability. Many computer systems of the United States military use Windows XP. It's stable and well developed, but the end of Microsoft technical support has caused concern there too.

The only reason they use it is because they have behemoth codebases built for XP that hasn't been updated in decades and no one wants to touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Govt. of Pakistan should spend some money on research and development of new software and task IT universities to write the Bios codes, kernels, and other stuff. Its time-consuming process but the end results will lift us and reduce the factor of cyber spying.

Why? A custom linux distro is more than sufficient. We have plenty of gaps to dedicate our resources at.

you would write in low-level code, near to machine level code. operate on unix based GUI's on custom built CPU's that are wired to run code in fixed pathways.

I think Win XP is not that bad. I mean, a lot of ATM machines operate on Win XP so it can't be that in-secure.

linux mint....
My favourite is Ubuntu Mate! A flavor of Ubuntu I like so much. The thing I like so much about linux is bash scripting. I have automated most of my tasks using my own user defined functions in bashrc file. I send mails, push files onto my drive, git all using terminal. I use awk etc generously in my scripting. I even created my own init services (daemon) for assigning a fix IP to my Intel Galileo board!

I was wondering as to which operating system is Pakistan using for its indigenously and purchased weapon systems.

Are we using Windows or Linux. I'm asking as it can play a major role in cyber security.

A version of Linux customized for Pakistan would be very cool.

I have used OpenSuse for developing network codes. Those were Fujitsu Machines at simulation lab. I have used Fedora and Debian too, but finally settled on Ubuntu once and for all!

Well completely customizable Linux Arch, or bleeding edge Gentoo are also there, but it depends which flavor you want to use. These servers were powered by CentOS.

As per my understanding, these ATM machines are developed & maintained by third parties, like NCR in case of most Pakistani Banks. The kind of OS that runs on these machine is a choice by NCR and not HBL. Correct me if I am wrong.

My favourite is Ubuntu Mate! A flavor of Ubuntu I like so much. The thing I like so much about linux is bash scripting. I have automated most of my tasks using my own user defined functions in bashrc file. I send mails, push files onto my drive, git all using terminal. I use awk etc generously in my scripting. I even created my own init services (daemon) for assigning a fix IP to my Intel Galileo board!
Same here. Ubuntu has been my favourite as well. However for a standard layman's front end no stress Linux mint is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom