What's new

Operating system

1. Is RTLinux a hard real-time kernel like QNX ??

2. Are there RTLinux distros that come with drivers for most common Intel x86 boards, especially for sound ??

3. How big is the smallest RTLinux recompilation for x86 boards ??
Hi,
1) yes
2) a lot of drivers etc are removed in RT patch, so I doubt if it has sound support. You must understand that RT in OS world refers to determinancy and not speed. An OS is called RT if it can perform same operation at same speed all the time and every time! So the speed must be predictable all the time.
3) I can't comment about the smallest one available, however the one that I used easily was around 800mb or so. Tbh I can't remember the size.

Hi,
1) yes

2) a lot of drivers etc are removed in RT patch, so I doubt if it has sound support.

Okay, thanks.

You must understand that RT in OS world refers to determinancy and not speed. An OS is called RT if it can perform same operation at same speed all the time and every time! So the speed must be predictable all the time.

Of course.

3) I can't comment about the smallest one available, however the one that I used easily was around 800mb or so. Tbh I can't remember the size.

800 MB !!

My word, that's huge in RTOS terms !!

Back
Top Bottom