What's new

Operating system

Same here. Ubuntu has been my favourite as well. However for a standard layman's front end no stress Linux mint is great.
To be honest, I don't need the GuI. I love the black terminal screen and bash scripting

I was wondering as to which operating system is Pakistan using for its indigenously and purchased weapon systems.

Are we using Windows or Linux. I'm asking as it can play a major role in cyber security.

A version of Linux customized for Pakistan would be very cool.

See as you have seen, almost everyone has given you what they thought,
and there isn't a single answer to your question.

It will be easier for me, if you know the difference between a Arduino and a Raspberry pi.

What we are looking for is a real time and embedded operating system.
such offering from Microsoft was Windows CE. not Windows XP as people have said.
A lot of time, we do not need an operating system. ( Micro-controllers -> FPGA ).
Some times VxWorks .. for real time.
If one is forced to use a particular processor type, then one has to choose the OS with it.

As you can see, there are too many possibilities, however neither Windows XP nor Ordinary Linux distributions come close to fitting the bill.

My favourite is Ubuntu Mate! A flavor of Ubuntu I like so much. The thing I like so much about linux is bash scripting. I have automated most of my tasks using my own user defined functions in bashrc file. I send mails, push files onto my drive, git all using terminal. I use awk etc generously in my scripting. I even created my own init services (daemon) for assigning a fix IP to my Intel Galileo board!

Did you ever come in contact with HAL Hyderabad or with BAeHAL? Or with ISRO teams responsible for writing code for the GSLV mission computer?

Did you ever come in contact with HAL Hyderabad or with BAeHAL? Or with ISRO teams responsible for writing code for the GSLV mission computer?
Hi,
The problem with a lot of IIT/NIT undergrads who join ISRO, is that they leave for MS /PHD in states within 2-3 years of joining. So some of my friends who actually joined left. I however do know a few folks there but they are not into writing codes for GSLV mission computer. They mostly deal with automation and stuff, however ISRO these days have proliferated into design of autopilots for landing of that space shuttle like module.

Hi,
The problem with a lot of IIT/NIT undergrads who join ISRO, is that they leave for MS /PHD in states within 2-3 years of joining. So some of my friends who actually joined left. I however do know a few folks there but they are not into writing codes for GSLV mission computer. They mostly deal with automation and stuff, however ISRO these days have proliferated into design of autopilots for landing of that space shuttle like module.

I mentioned it because that was the first (and last) job farmed out by ISRO. When Madhavan Nair got it, he put a complete stop to anything going out. It was coded in Ada.

I was about to write that people are really audacious doing real-time stuff in the Windows environment, rather than a hard real-time system, when I remembered what happened with HAL's own air traffic management system. Always hated the fighter pilot lobby after that.

I mentioned it because that was the first (and last) job farmed out by ISRO. When Madhavan Nair got it, he put a complete stop to anything going out. It was coded in Ada.

I was about to write that people are really audacious doing real-time stuff in the Windows environment, rather than a hard real-time system, when I remembered what happened with HAL's own air traffic management system. Always hated the fighter pilot lobby after that.
Real time in windows ... :astagh:

Real time in windows ... :astagh:

It can't be done, but I couldn't convince the manager of the airport that what was being suggested was a phony solution. The irony is that we had done air traffic management for major European airports, and nobody was listening to us.

To be honest, I don't need the GuI. I love the black terminal screen and bash scripting

I too had the same opinion some years ago, but later I changed it.

For example, if you need to watch a vid you need a GUI.

I too had the same opinion some years ago, but later I changed it.

For example, if you need to watch a vid you need a GUI.
I watch Netflix on my ipad or my phone. Who uses computer to watch videos? I mostly use GuI for MATLAB

See as you have seen, almost everyone has given you what they thought,
and there isn't a single answer to your question.

It will be easier for me, if you know the difference between a Arduino and a Raspberry pi.

What we are looking for is a real time and embedded operating system.
such offering from Microsoft was Windows CE. not Windows XP as people have said.
A lot of time, we do not need an operating system. ( Micro-controllers -> FPGA ).
Some times VxWorks .. for real time.
If one is forced to use a particular processor type, then one has to choose the OS with it.

As you can see, there are too many possibilities, however neither Windows XP nor Ordinary Linux distributions come close to fitting the bill.
For embedded systems, that is a different kettle of fish all together. OS is not necessarily needed.

I watch Netflix on my ipad or my phone. Who uses computer to watch videos? I mostly use GuI for MATLAB

I don't have an iPad and I use the cell phone for only two things : communicate and use it as a modem to connect my desktop to the internet.

I find the cell phone screen too small for my comfort.

For embedded systems, that is a different kettle of fish all together. OS is not necessarily needed.
Hi @denel
There are now many real time linux versions available in market- especially when you buy linux based autopilots. Some of them are available with RT patch. The one in my dp has RT patch. My dp that you see, is my very own creation, it has a Ipad/raspberry pi/arduino based data acquisition/relay system. I pad is merely a terminal to view the sensor data, the real time sensor data acquisition takes place at arduino and sent to Rpi for further processing and plotting live/active graph using matplotlib. Ipad is then used to ssh into the Rpi over a router.

Hi @denel
There are now many real time linux versions available in market- especially when you buy linux based autopilots. Some of them are available with RT patch. The one in my dp has RT patch.

1. Is RTLinux a hard real-time kernel like QNX ??

2. Are there RTLinux distros that come with drivers for most common Intel x86 boards, especially for sound ??

3. How big is the smallest RTLinux recompilation for x86 boards ??

Back
Top Bottom