What's new

On Iran's future possibilities with Sukhoi

Can you provide me a claim that in vedic times, the Indians had planes thousands of years ago which would travel inter galaxy? Or there were cell phones and cars that existed thousands of years ago? I am not trying to be insulting, but you can use common sense at times too. No federal government agencies will come out and say it, but see the following links below:

Chinese spies 'stole plans for JSF'

China stole plans for a new fighter plane, spy documents have revealed | Global Geopolitics

Defence News - China stole plans for a new fighter plane, spy documents have revealed
I think you didn't understand my point mate, you were saying that J-31 can match JSF because it was based on stolen data from JSF, so accordingly nations should buy J-31 instead of JSF?... Isn't so?
what my point is no country would take that claim seriously when they go out for buying a fighter aircraft and I don't why you are hating me on this mate, if you really are an american than you should know that JSF has really costed you guys a lot and chinese propaganda is going to hurt your JSF sales.

I think you didn't understand my point mate, you were saying that J-31 can match JSF because it was based on stolen data from JSF, so accordingly nations should buy J-31 instead of JSF?... Isn't so?.

No, it isn't so. Someone copy producing a car doesn't mean it'll be a 100% replica. But it will be 90% if they had design details and experience. So even at 80-90%, it is STILL not bad, with a much cheaper price tag. For the West, it won't be a match. For many countries like Pakistan, Iran, and other Chinese block countries would probably love it. It will for sure be a more than enough match for the Russians though. Their tech is still different than the West. And J-31 is a replica of the Western design. Hope this helps

No, it isn't so. Someone copy producing a car doesn't mean it'll be a 100% replica. But it will be 90% if they had design details and experience. So even at 80-90%, it is STILL not bad, with a much cheaper price tag.
that will depend on how much info about JSF is stolen by them, right? so it's all assumptions that it will be able to match american or russian who are more experienced in this field. Seriously, we should wait for J-31 and Su-50 to finish their development before making any conclusion about them.

great... iran should have atleast 50 T50..... it will be great for them,....

I personally think spending money on an even 3rd generation home made fighter is worth more than buying 5th generation fighters. All of us know that in the day of need there won't be any support for any foreign made equipment.

You are sadly mistaken if you think that the J-31 is not a match for the JSF. In fact, its design and avionics were built on stolen data of the JSF. They've only enhanced that design to overcome the speed and endurance by converting the jet to a twin engine stealth platform. JSF obviously will (or already has) seen more modifications since the data was stolen, but J-31 is the closest match to the JSF. FGFA is still a work in progress. When an operational version comes out, we can discuss it more.

I dont think the Americans are that dumb.You know the Israels capability in Avionics.The JSF in their hands would be real game changer.Actually most of us dont know the real capability of EW of JSF.USAF inducted that in 100 in.numbers.If entire tech of JSF was stolen they would terminate that project a long time ago.And J 31 is still in taxing. Fifth gen program is not that easy.
FGFA would be a JV and will have our avionics ,our expertise,like we did Su 30MKI.

I personally think spending money on an even 3rd generation home made fighter is worth more than buying 5th generation fighters. All of us know that in the day of need there won't be any support for any foreign made equipment.

Actually I agree with you.But R &D of a modern fighter without a foreign help would be a challenge.Look at our Tejas LCA .Initiated in 1983 .No works didnt happen until 1991 due to economic and political crisis.Actual work done after that .And in 1998 we got huge amount of sanctions.But still we managed to developed it.Now it is maturing and IAF inducted that .

The big advantage of indigenous research is its you dont have to depend outsiders and you will get an aircraft industry.
But Can Iran afford such a huge gap ?

Lol. Monkey version? That used to happen in USSR cold war. Not anymore. Russians nowadays are selling to foreign customers better version that they themselves use for instance the Su-30MKI that India bought. And if Iran gets the technology to manufacture 10 planes, what will stop Iran to build another 150, since the technology is already there to build more? Or you mean Iran builds ten of these and then the Russians will somehow erase the knowledge from Iranian brains afterwards?

Su 30 was just another normal fighter when we signed that contract .But we changed its avionics entirely and added our avionics and that makes them potent than its original version.Even Russians bought such a configuration from us .
This is the same reason that we dont have to buy Su 35.

Just Waste of money.
Waste of money? Without the F-14 fleet, Iran would have lost the war with Iraq in the initial first few months. It was b/c of Iran's vastly superior air force that we managed to force Iraq back in those first 2 years.

Your post lacks logic.

What goal is an average mid sized country trying to meet by having an air force? Is it national security or direct economic development? Of course the answer is national security. A mid sized country will never in a billion years export a fighter jet b/c it simply can not do better than the competition. China, the US and Russia have that market cornered. They make MUCH better jets at a very reasonable cost.

Iran can't even make a single decent jet engine, let alone a 5th generation fighter jet. So you can kiss the direct economic development aspect of it goodbye. A domestic program needs money, skilled workers, millions of hours or R&D, access to ultra modern machinery and exotic equipments, access to world markets etc... Iran has NONE OF THESE.

What good is a third gen fighter that can't protect our borders btw? Without the F-14 fleet back in the 80's, Iraq would have steam rolled into Iran. It was our vast air superiority over Iraq's air force that saved our bacon.

An air force is a drain on finances, whether you're making your own (impossible for 98% of the world) or buying them. An air force has one purpose: national security.

Waste of money? Without the F-14 fleet, Iran would have lost the war with Iraq in the initial first few months. It was b/c of Iran's vastly superior air force that we managed to force Iraq back in those first 2 years.

For the time being the MIG-31 looks most suitable to Iran if you'd ask me, it's high speed and extreme long range missiles will cover Iran's airspace and it being an 'old' aircraft wouldn't raise too many issues if exported unlike stealth aircraft like PAK FA. Almost any aircraft will have to trouble when facing the MIG-31. In 1991 Mig-25's ( similar to the more advanced 31 ) deterred several F-15's forcing them to abort their mission. When you can do that you can defend your airspace.

By start of Iran-Iraq war, our air force's estimation for flying our planes was about one month, if this time was extended, it was simply by not answering them, where were these F-14s when Iraqi fighters were bombarding not just border towns, but the capital, hundreds km away from border? also our victories in the battlefield started by realizing that classic warfare is useless against a stronger enemy.
that day Iraq had enough power to attack us, today except U.S we see no rival. and in any future war, I don't count on T-50's stealthness at all. today asymmetric warfare is our strategy, and T-50 alongside it' price simply doesn't fit in that strategy (even if Russians keep their support).

I dont think the Americans are that dumb.You know the Israels capability in Avionics.The JSF in their hands would be real game changer.Actually most of us dont know the real capability of EW of JSF.USAF inducted that in 100 in.numbers.If entire tech of JSF was stolen they would terminate that project a long time ago.And J 31 is still in taxing. Fifth gen program is not that easy.
FGFA would be a JV and will have our avionics ,our expertise,like we did Su 30MKI..

You don't terminate a project where 6 or 8 countries have spent trillion on. Technologies keep improving so the best you can do, is to change your tech base and use much more advanced features than what was in your previous version. That, would change the entire plane for you. I think the latest cost overruns for the past few years may be just that.

Also, J-31 will be superior in tech compared to the what the Russians have to offer. Hands down, no doubt about it. FGFA may actually be a superior platform if Israeli avionics are used. I agree with that.

By start of Iran-Iraq war, our air force's estimation for flying our planes was about one month, if this time was extended, it was simply by not answering them, where were these F-14s when Iraqi fighters were bombarding not just border towns, but the capital, hundreds km away from border? also our victories in the battlefield started by realizing that classic warfare is useless against a stronger enemy.
that day Iraq had enough power to attack us, today except U.S we see no rival. and in any future war, I don't count on T-50's stealthness at all. today asymmetric warfare is our strategy, and T-50 alongside it' price simply doesn't fit in that strategy (even if Russians keep their support).

Actually Iran had bought 15 years of spare parts for F-14 (15 years of peacetime) which were depleted in a much shorter time period due to war and could not replace them because of US-Iran enmity. Iranian AF did its part as did army aviation. But Iranian AF was a small force, which could not realistically provide a complete air superiority. For a complete air superiority Iran would have needed a much larger air force. To belittle their contribution is not fair: Post–World War II air-to-air combat losses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually Iran had bought 15 years of spare parts for F-14 (15 years of peacetime) which were depleted in a much shorter time period due to war and could not replace them because of US-Iran enmity. Iranian AF did its part as did army aviation. But Iranian AF was a small force, which could not realistically provide a complete air superiority. For a complete air superiority Iran would have needed a much larger air force. To belittle their contribution is not fair: Post–World War II air-to-air combat losses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
what I said was a memory from Ayatollah khameneie,at the first days of war with Iraq, a group of commanders came for visit and they had a list of needed spare parts without which, each aircraft would be grounded after a certain period, the longest period was C130 with one month.
There may have been a deal for 15 years of support but that doesn't mean that all of these spare parts were within Iran, also according to other memories from our air force crew, whenever a part needed to be repaired or replaced, they had to directly import them from U.S.
After all, we had these planes so certain number of kills is inevitable but that's not what I was talking about. Did those F14s created a deterrence against Iraq airforce? why not, the same answer plus many other reasons applies to current day and T-50

Last edited:
Reading about the Russia-Iran relations and the Iran air force inventory,

I must admit that Iran air force surely need a decent fighter on urgent notice,i have given up su-35 and would replace it with j-10B.

Either J-10B or J-31,the only reliable option

Reading about the Russia-Iran relations and the Iran air force inventory,

I must admit that Iran air force surely need a decent fighter on urgent notice,

ok and what is that got to do with Iran and Russia ??
you and people here are really think Iran is getting anything from Russia ?? or Iran is going to pay a cent to Russia in advance for anything ??

i think this foolish Idea of Iran getting something from Russia soon will come to end .
Russia has problems with west now over Ukraine and the sanctions on Russia
so Russia is trying to use these propaganda empty words to use them at bargaining chip at table when the time come for negotiation with U.S

end of story now every body can go to sleep

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom